Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

View new posts acting weird

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View new posts acting weird
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-09-28, 20:15

It's just that when I click on "view new posts" I don't get any messages saying "No new posts, get back to work forum whore" or "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in X seconds" even if I'm abusing the poor little link.

The problem seem to be occuring when there's no new posts cause when there is... everything is working normally (I think).

Anyway, here's a screenshot.

Another quick one. Is this a known issue that the "forums tool" button doesn't work in Chrome ? It act like an anchor and it scroll to the bottom of the page.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-28, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
It's just that when I click on "view new posts" I don't get any messages saying "No new posts, get back to work forum whore" or "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in X seconds" even if I'm abusing the poor little link.
Weird. Everything looks and behaves fine with the Mac version of Chrome. I'll fire up VMware shortly to report on what I see under Windows. When there are no new posts, it should look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Another quick one. Is this a known issue that the "forums tool" button doesn't work in Chrome ? It act like an anchor and it scroll to the bottom of the page.
That should work too. Would you verify that you have JavaScript enabled? Without JavaScript, yes, the link acts like an anchor.

Also, do you have any sort of ad blocking or proxy software running?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-28, 20:28

Gah! Brad, you shouldn't tease us with the Chrome goodness.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-28, 20:31

I've been getting that behavior as well, Brad. Safari 4.0.3, 10.5.8.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-28, 20:37

Huh!

Regularly? Or is this uncommon?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-28, 21:57

Not common, but not that unusual. Happened a couple times a day or so for the past... week? Two weeks?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-09-28, 22:17

I get it every time there are no new posts on both safari on 10.6 and normal AN version on the iPhone.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-28, 22:42

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is an odd issue with how vBulletin hides spam posts. Technically, they are new posts and show up to admins/mods and might not be marked as read by regular users. vBulletin might be filtering in a way that causes the main template to behave as though there are posts to show, but then having nothing to iterate over when showing the results.

For what it's worth, I've never seen the situation that you guys are describing; so, my guess seems plausible. If that's the case, then there's not much I can do about it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-09-28, 22:47

FWIW.

I've never seen the behavior as reported by dmegatool, Kickaha and jdcfsu.

However, on a different vBulletin forum, I've seen behavior where a thread header is created but the original post is missing.

Don't know if they could be related but here it is.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-29, 08:25

Just happened again...
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-29, 20:56

I've been seeing this for a few days now but I thought it might have been related to GlimmerBlocker -- after disabling it, though, it seems not to be.