Apple Watch

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch
Page 8 of 11 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-01, 23:04

I got my watch and love it. I'm totally with Robo in the "It's a watch" assessment. I want to say that it's underwhelming how great it is because right off the bat it offloaded a lot of the work I put my phone through. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome! It just isn't a mind blowing as I anticipated. It's more of a matter of fact thing. So the things I liked about the Watch when I posted about it here I really do like!

Here is a pic of it after getting out of the box. I don't mind sharing more if any are interested in seeing an unboxing, just let me know.

I don't talk much on my phone so I don't really have to suffer through many conversation on it. I have used my Watch to talk on the phone but the speaker is underpowered and it doesn't sound very loud or clear in my limited tests. I have an older pickup truck and the noise of the truck makes it hard to hear a conversation using the Watch. Plus, I feel like a dork talking to my wrist. It might work better in quiet environments but using it as a speakerphone in the car looks like it will be pretty limiting based on my one test. I'll try in my van that's much quieter and maybe my office too just for good measure.

I was a Fitbit user but now have moved almost completely to the Watch/Health.app. I still wear my Ultra overnight while sleeping to track my sleep though since the Watch doesn't do that and I don't want a phone under my pillow. I have another app that syncs the Fitbit data into Health so I don't manually have to log the sleep time. Plus when I wear the Fitbit at night and take steps it still logs those steps for me.

I haven't worn a watch in years so this is a renewed thing for me. I also moved my Watch to my right arm and have the crown on the left. This actually works really well for me. I wasn't sure if I would like it so after opening my Watch yesterday I wore it on my left arm like "normal". I really do like it better on my right arm so far.

I'm still getting used to using a crown to scroll, thankfully they let you scroll by moving your finger on the screen still. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just takes time I guess.

I got the 42mm SS with black rubber band. I actually really like the band. My plan was to get a new band later when after market ones come out but I'm not sure I'll do that at this point. I really like the feel of the black band, it's amazingly comfortable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-05-02, 08:08

I really wish the watch had built-in GPS because I don't want to carry my phone on runs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-02, 17:46

So I just got done doing 4 hours of yard work. Really intense work too. Thing is the HR monitor stopped getting my heart rate. It seems like once my wife covered me in sunblock it actually prevented the HR sensors from doing their job. I have scrubbed my arm and buffed the watch to be sure they are clean but it still won't give me a heart rate. I thought it might have been sweat or grime from the leaves and stuff but those are all gone and I'm resting at my desk right now.

I did however get 200% of my move goal for the day!

Also, the ability to leave my phone inside while my Watch stayed connected to the WiFi network was great. As you know my phone case is huge and keeping it in my pocket can limit some of my movements for work like I was doing. This time I was able to use my watch while I was on the go and it worked great!

I can see how it would be nice to have a GPS chip in it but then the battery life would really suffer. As it is, I'm typically in the low teens of battery remaining by the time I plug it in on my night stand at the end of the day. With improvements I'm sure it will have the cell/GPS chip built in.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-03, 17:45

So I ended up having to reboot my watch to get it to read my heart rate again. About 6 hours after it stopped reading it I help both the crown and the side button until it rebooted. It read my heart rate just fine after that.

addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-06, 00:32

So Apple is going to sanction and encourage third party bands. Interesting.

You know, I frequently find myself assuming things about Apple based on evidence from the Jobs era, forgetting that Cook runs a somewhat different kind of ship. So that without really considering it much I just figured they would actively discourage third party bands because it would "ruin" their meticulous design and cheapen the Watch experience. But so now it appears likely that you'll soon be able to get a Sport and pick up a relatively inexpensive, say, black leather band of your choice. Or one of those colorful fabric deals that cost like ten bucks. Or one of those Timex flex mesh things that I remember from when I used to wear a watch. Which is nice. And unexpected.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-08, 11:16

I'm looking forward to the ability to get third party bands for my Watch. I really like this rubber one, but would certainly welcome the opportunity for new options that aren't $100.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-05-09, 14:40

I saw that there are already some efforts underway to make battery bands that charge the watch though the diagnostic port. Such a band would effectively address my greatest concern about the Apple Watch, provided it's properly executed.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-09, 17:19

I can't imagine anything more kludgey than a watch band with integrated batteries. The Microsoft Band does that, and have you tried to wear that thing? No thanks. Not gonna feel like I'm wearing handcuffs without at least getting a crime and/or sexytimes out of it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-05-10, 04:57

Well, the smart thing about the battery band, is that you don't have to use it all the time. But with only 18 hours of battery life, I can certainly think of situations where a battery band would be mighty useful. Also, if all a band has to do is keep your watch strapped to your wrist, then a wafer thin piece of plastic can do the job. A band such as the link bracelet is actually incredibly wasteful with space and weight if you only consider function, so why not try and do something more with that band?

If I had been designing the Apple Watch I would probably never had thought of interchangeable bands, I would instead have used the band for batteries and antennae.

Ultimately it all boils down to execution. Of course someone can make a fugly battery band that I would not be caught dead with, but I honestly don't see why someone can't come up with a good looking solution as well.

I have been trying to find the article with the band I saw somewhere, but then forgot about. Unfortunately all the ones that turn up in search are of the induction charging kind, which Apple's design guide for bands explicitly nixes. And they are fugly.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-05-10, 08:50

I have to say that my first reaction was: it's frikkin huge on T's arm O.o

I wonder how thin they can make the things in the next 5 years?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-05-12, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I have to say that my first reaction was: it's frikkin huge on T's arm O.o

I wonder how thin they can make the things in the next 5 years?

Probably not much? I don't expect the design to change much, if at all, for at least 2-3 years. Any advancements in miniaturization will likely be taken advantage of for using a larger battery.

It really looks thicker than it is in some photos. It's actually a pretty nice small watch in person.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-13, 20:15

I don't think the battery band is in the near future at all. Plus, I wouldn't want something that firm around my wrist. I thought I wanted a link bracelet for my Watch but I'm loving the black rubber band.

Drew, this is actually on par with some of the watches I've worn in the past, like a G-Shock. It is the perfect size for my arm. I wouldn't want the 38mm one my wife got (is getting). I tired it and it feels so much more than 4mm smaller.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-14, 07:55

It's smaller than it looks in all the photos. It's regular-watch-sized, not smartwatch-sized. I got a 38mm and my fiancé ordered the Dudebro Special (42mm, Sport, black) and the 38mm is almost too small. It's still usable but I really wouldn't want it to be any smaller.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-05-14, 11:58

The battery band I saw a sketch for looked more like a series of small link sized batteries held together in some sort of sport like band. Personally, I wouldn't wan't a rigid band either.

Robo, perhaps your Dudebro fiancé can let us know wether the black model has a tendency to scratch or scuff like the iPhone's of the same style have?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-14, 13:47

we don't have it yet. He didn't want an Apple Watch at all ("no thanks, I don't want to look like a tool") until after I had mine for like a week. So now, we wait.

And he's not really a dudebro.

addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-14, 15:15

I'll be curious to see the fortunes of the Watch once they're out in the wild in some significant numbers. Like, how many people will be like Robo's fiancé (congrats, by the way, did you tell us about this and I missed it?) who reckoned the Watch wasn't for them but then saw one en-wristed and in action and were persuaded. I'm guessing, like many Apple products, that being in their vicinity will be a very powerful sales tool.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-14, 15:41

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I tweeted about it. I was going to post something, but then Kick posted that he just got married, and I didn't want to steal his matrimonial thunder. But thanks ^^

I kept on trying to tell him he should pre-order one too but he insisted he didn't want one. I thought maybe he would like the fitness stuff but he couldn't care less about that ("do I look like I need a personal trainer?") Do you know what sold him? The animated emoji.

Picture a six-foot-six biker dude slowly turning a dial on a tiny watch and giggling like a schoolgirl at each smiley face and you have the idea

So yeah, I think it's sort of an infectious product. A lot of people who see me use it (and I try to use it discreetly!) tell me they want one.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-05-14, 17:53

My wife got hers on Monday. 38mm Sport in silver with pink band which is nowhere near as nice as the pink modern buckle. She likes it but isn't wowed with it. The OS is kind of confusing and takes awhile to get use to. A few of her friends have them so the first few days they sent drawings back and forth. Most of them requiring explanation. Notifications are the most useful feature by far. Phone calls are pretty bad but I expected as much. Passable for a quick call I guess though anything more would be rude to the other party. Most apps she has aren't that great. Some are pretty useless like Hotel Tonight. A great app on the phone but kind of silly on the Watch. We did go to Starbucks the other day and she paid with the watch which fascinated the employees for some reason. The hadn't seen one i guess so they gathered around with one of them grabbing her wrist. It was quite odd considering it's just a barcode! She'll probably keep it but I'm not biting this round. I'll wait until the second or maybe third version. It's not a must have like the phone.

And congratulations to Robo!
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-14, 18:06

Have you checked with anyone on the other end about the phone call quality? I ask because I read one review that said that while the audio on the watch was inevitably pretty thin, the person on the other end had no idea he wasn't calling from a phone.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-05-14, 19:04

You may be right. The audio out of the watch was pretty bad on the call I heard. I didn't ask the other party but I guess as long as the watch isn't too far away it should be acceptable.
Lyngo

2015-05-16, 05:04

I returned my watch.

The battery life went down drastically on mine, to the point of being realistically unusable (10% per hour). My phone battery also drained quickly. I didn't realize how much I'd want it, but GPS is close to a must for me to purchase.

I wanted to want it, but couldn't justify it's usefulness (or there lack of) for me. Maybe not true of all, but it is for me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-16, 16:57

I have noticed that my phone battery dies far faster now than it did before being the radio for my watch too. My Watch battery life has been awesome though. I still typically have about 40% left at the end of the day. Granted, I don't stare at my screen all the time and I removed a lot of apps that want to go on there automatically.

Speaking of, I dislike the fact that Watchkit Apps reinstall on iPhone App update even if it's been removed from the watch before the update. I have 27 apps on my Watch right now. I'm thinking double that for all the apps that have a WatchKit version too, maybe. I'm not interested in Target's app on my Watch. Same for Starbucks etc. Yet they do an update and it reinstalls it for me. That shouldn't be that way.

I called my wife from my Watch to figure out how bad it really was. I was in my old pickup and it is horrible for me driving. It might be fine in a Lexus or BMW but not an old truck. My wife said I sounded like I was in a can. That isn't promising at all. I didn't try again using a FaceTime audio call because I'm sure it's going to be about the same. I got a survey today about the Watch from Apple and mentioned the phone a horrible and an area of major attention.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-05-16, 21:28

In a Lexus or BMW you're going to answer the phone via their own facilities. While it's not up to par, call quality on the watch is something I'd probably never do outside of demonstrating it to someone else.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-05-19, 20:47

Finally got mine today. Apple Watch Sport Space Gray Black Band.

It may be my favorite Apple device ever. Can't wait to see where it goes in the years ahead. If it had GPS I would be set.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-05-20, 06:37

I've been putting the purchase of this off for a few reasons, namely because I can't figure out exactly which one I want.

I do like the Sport in Space Gray, but I really like the Stainless one in Space Gray as well.

The thing that drives me nuts is that the Space Gray stainless only comes with the link bracelet, which adds all kinds of money to the cost.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-20, 10:29

Have you seen them in person yet?

The space grey stainless steel is really dark in person. Apple actually calls it Space Black, because it's definitely different from space grey aluminum. It looks sharp, but I wouldn't consider it if you weren't already sold on the link bracelet. If you just want a darker color watch the space grey Sport still looks really, really great.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-05-20, 11:57

Yeah, I finally saw on in The Apple store this week (Had to replace the screen on my iPhone 6. Only $115 surprisingly)

I've seen them both in person, but need to try them on again. The space Black wasn't there when I went to try them on last month, so when I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll just try them on again.

I just wish they would sell it with other bands and not force you into a specific one off of the bat.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-20, 13:26

Mrs T's 38mm SS with pink modern buckle came in yesterday. I finally have someone I can draw with. She loves it although her pink is more grey than pink. I seem to recall the band being more pink when I saw it at the Apple Store a bit ago. She still loves it though.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-05-20, 23:17

3 days in and i like it even more. i'm becoming less curious about it, and it's becoming more of a natural extension of my daily life. It's greatly reduced the frequency of taking my phone out of my pocket, and the limitations of what can be done on the watch actually lead to me wasting less time than I would if i had checked the same things on my phone and had more capability.

and the battery life is very impressive to me. Traveled all day, via plane and car, had meetings, used the watch extensively... and it's at 52% at 10:15PM after leaving the plug at 7AM.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-05-28, 18:43

I just ordered a 42mm grey sport. Shipping times seem to be improving - a few weeks ago, it was delivering in July, but mine is coming between June 19 and 25. I can't wait to try it out. I think I'll spend a lot less time on my phone once I have it.