AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Student Discount

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Student Discount
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-19, 15:44

I'm getting ready to get a new iMac. I went to the Apple online student store and got ALL the way to where you out in your CC info, and it never asked for any school credentials?

Is this normal?

I don't want to place the order, and have them come back treee days later and say I need to show proof or something.

Anyway, what is the normal procedure when ordering with the student discount?

Thanks.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
Johnkid

2005-10-19, 16:06

Well, if it's your first purchase on the online apple store, they will contact you asking to send them a copy of your credit card and a copy of your identity card. Since I ordered a purchase with edu discount I sent them my university card copy as well in the fax. Once they got proof of your existance, they charge and send you what you ordered... that's how it works in Spain at least...
jer2eydevil88

2005-10-19, 16:22

I have ordered two macs off the EDU Apple store and an ipod and it has never asked me for my edu information. What I think they do is check my name against the school records for the school I selected.
EmC

2005-10-19, 16:41

I don't even think they check. A friend of mine ordered something from the EDU store and he doesn't even go school. I think they may just take your word for it online. I bought both of my powerbooks(2 years apart) online at the EDU store. They never contacted me and I doubt they contacted my school since it takes a release waiver for my school to even acknowledge in writing that I attend.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Noel

2005-10-19, 16:41

I've never been asked. And no, they don't check against school records. They only check a few random people, so if you're lucky you can sneak by without being a student, but you take the risked of getting pretty fucked if they do happen to catch you.
Joshua

2005-10-19, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
but you take the risked of getting pretty fucked if they do happen to catch you.
Ummm, like legally, or they won't sell to you, EVER again?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 18:45

I get the EDU discount due to homeschooling my daughter and we have never "been carded" at all. In the retail store, I told them I home school and need the discount. Online through the EDU section, I just ordered. There has never been any request for information.

I think in most cases it is expected that most will stay honest.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 18:51

Yeah, they don't seem to be too picky about it. My mom works as a secretary at a small-ish private school, so she doesn't have, say, a staff photo ID. When we went to the Apple Store to buy my iPod nano, we explained the situation to the cashier. She looked up the school on Apple's online store to make sure it, you know, existed, but she didn't seem too picky about requiring a direct ID (my mom had brought some pay stubs and stuff, just in case). They might be more picky for a larger purchase, though.

I don't know whether they're using the honor system at their online store or not, but hopefully, it doesn't make a difference, does it? I'd hate to see the student discount get yanked because non-students started to abuse it.
Joshua

2005-10-19, 20:29

Well I am a student. But they don't have my school listed, so I was thinking of just choosing any ole' shcool.

It's a community college, maybe thats why?

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 20:32

I'd advise calling them.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-10-19, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I'd advise calling them.
I'll second that. They just haven't heard of your school. You'll get the same discounts as everyone else once you tell them about your school, I'm sure.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Joshua

2005-10-19, 21:34

The community college thing is okay?

This may all be a mute point, cause if I can find a store that has them in stock, to hell with the $100 discount, I want this thing THIS WEEKEND!!

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 21:39

Well, Apple's online store lists several community colleges in my area, so it should be okay.

And there is such a thing as next-day shipping, y'know. I don't know how much Apple charges, but it's probably less than $100...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
The community college thing is okay?

This may all be a mute point, cause if I can find a store that has them in stock, to hell with the $100 discount, I want this thing THIS WEEKEND!!
You can still get the dicount in person at an Apple store. Just tell them you are a student and where, or like in my case that I home school. They will give you the discount locally.

I must also say, Richmond's Apple store just got their new iMac's in. They were doing some Firewire thing with the old models so I couldn't play with them, but they were there. Really nice looking too I might add. I don't know what the firewire thing was, but a note said something about "restore" and the Mac it was connected to had a FW logo on the display.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Joshua

2005-10-19, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Just tell them you are a student and where, or like in my case that I home school. They will give you the discount locally.
You're a genius!

Why didn't I think of that?

But I lost my ID a few semesters ago.

I'll take my reciept from this semester.

Good thinking turtle

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
You're a genius!

Why didn't I think of that?

But I lost my ID a few semesters ago.

I'll take my reciept from this semester.

Good thinking turtle
Glad I could help. You probably won't need the reciept, but it won't hurt to have just in case. Enjoy your new Mac when you get it. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-10-19, 22:56

does the educational discount count if you are a teacher?

i am an ESL teacher abroad
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
does the educational discount count if you are a teacher?

i am an ESL teacher abroad
Apple's site says teachers and staff.

Interesting though it doesn't have a discount for K-12 students, only the teachers and staff or home schoolers. I guess the computers are for the adults and not the kids.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-19, 23:01

Well, it does for USA teachers:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...utingpage.html

I don't know about other countries. I imagine it depends on which one.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-10-20, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Glad I could help. You probably won't need the reciept, but it won't hurt to have just in case. Enjoy your new Mac when you get it. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.
When I bought my PowerBook at an Apple store, I had to provide both my license (photo ID) and my school ID in order to get the student discount.
zippy
Veteran Member

2005-10-20, 10:55

If you don't see your school on the online store, did you search for it by Zip Code, or by City Name? When I helped my sister order her iBook, the college she attends didn't show up when we typed in the city Zip Code, but it did when we used the City name. The problem is, the College has a different Zip Code than the standard local Zip. Also, if you can't find it by using the City Name, check to see if the College is actually in a suburb or something, and try that.