User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Trying to talk myself (into/out of) a 23" Display

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Trying to talk myself (into/out of) a 23" Display
DrGruv

2004-09-19, 01:20

I've got a quicksilver 2002 and have decided to go the upgrade route until next summer or fall...

(I've put in a Radeon 9000 and Pioneer DVR-107 and will soon go with a powerlogix upgrade)

Ok

I'm kind of lucky that within a few miles of my house outside Chicago, there is the oakbrook, woodfield apple stores and other outlets like compusa, microcenter and others..

I got out my handy microcenter flyer and headed over to westmont and picked up a load of cd blanks and slim line cases and etc..

I happened to walk through the apple display, sat down and started playing around with a G5 and a 23" screen. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by the awesome amount of information you could display... endless audio tracks, with perhaps the entire song (80+ measures) showing in a linear layout. Unbelievable, outstanding, amazing, - then the price oops, $2000 for the damn display?!?

It is truly amazing, but I can't seem to come around to spending that much on a display?!? You could easily get a decked out ibook and 12" powerbook and a pretty serious 15" powerbook or for that matter a G5 dual 1.8....

The display was amazing but for the $2000, you could do a lot in other areas with that cash...

Any Body else in this situation?

While totally amazing - $2000 on a display, I can't seem to justify that kind of cost...

Wishing I had unlimited funds and confused and amazed in Chicago

I'll probably compromise and go for the 20" - I was just wondering what others have been thinking as they plan their purchases.. similar fates?

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-19, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv
While totally amazing - $2000 on a display, I can't seem to justify that kind of cost...
That's just the thing. Apple's displays are truly hard to match in terms of quality (I've only seen Formac displays reviewed as truly comparable to Apple's) and Apple's first target audience can easily justify that extra cash: graphics professionals.

Granted, the displays are certainly drool-worthy for the average consumer too. So, you have to ask yourself: what is it worth to you to have top-of-the-line image quality (for an LCD) and a downright awesome-looking case? Are you doing work where color correctness, brightness, and contrast are very important?

Oh, and this belongs not in Speculation, but in either Apple Products or General Discussion... the latter because it is purchasing advice. Moving now!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 09:16

I wouldn't have any problem with justifying the cost of a big, quality display. About six years ago, I got a 19" CRT that was the first of its kind. It cost over $1000, more than the computer I got with it. It was hard to justify the price, especially considering I was still very much a kid at that time, did not do "real work" and therefore the display did not translate to productivity = money. However, now that the monitor has been in use in three, four different computers, it feels like one of the best investments I've ever made.

Even if you are "just" a hobbyist, you owe it to yourself to have a good screen. If you make your living off the work you do on that screen, that is all the more reason to have the best. I'd much rather skimp on the computer that is attached to the screen.

Needless to say, the next time I get a display, I'm not looking at the initial cost too hard, student budget or not. 23" flatscreen is likely, but still a year or so away.

Have you considered the competing 23" displays from Benq and HP? They are supposed to be significantly cheaper (at least the HP), have additional VGA and video connectors and (I think) use the same panel. The looks are not quite as good, but depending on what you want the price differential and features might more than make up for that.

Though the 20" is nice, I'm not sure I'd want to go with that, since it's still "only" 1600+ px wide, and I might still be tempted to add another screen - but two 20":s would border on ridiculous!
Other choices to consider are dual screens, like 17" flat for instance - this can be very nice, and not cost as much as the 20", especially if you can use a pre-existing screen and just add one - and then there are the modern 22" or so CRT's. They are still very good for the price, if you are willing to sacrifice space, elegance and some power consumption.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-09-19, 09:42

I can understand your situation. I really liked, and mean really liked the old Apple displays. But the new ones… oh my god. They're actually stunning in person, it's difficult to explain just how good they look.

One thing worth asking though before getting more advice is this: what display do you have at the moment, and what aspects of your current display do you like/dislike most? Weigh them up, then decide.

FWIW, my maxim when making such decisions is either 'buy the cheapest' or 'buy the best'. The former you can sell on and replace whenever you want, the latter will last several years.

If it's any use, I've only seen one other flat panel display that even compares to the new Apple line in terms of aesthetics (but not necessarily picture quality) and that would be this LG display which was my dream display until the new Apple displays came out.
DrGruv

2004-09-19, 11:50

Lots of good ideas, thanx... more please...

At the time (1999) when I bought one of the best (more economically priced) Hitachi Superscan Elite 751Precision Focus, a huge 18" in the $600-$700 range and am using it right now, very nice, 1280 X 1024 85hz Millions of colors. The drag is when using Logic, I can't have many faders or tracks showing and I am constantly scrolling up and down and side to side..

Just a thought... anyone throw out a cheapee LCD they know in the 20" or 23"

Another pan in the fire...any thoughs on OLED displays that should hit in '05? too costly at first?

thanx in advance for the helpful thoughts

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
DrGruv

2004-09-19, 12:03

Is this the HP 23" you were talking about?

HP L2335 23" Carbonite/Silver LCD Monitor P9615A#ABA
$1598.99
HP L2335 23" Carbonite/Silver LCD Monitor P9615A#ABA 23" (23" Viewable), 1920 x 1200 (Max Resolution), 500:1 Contrast Ratio, Connects Via 15-pin mini D-sub ...
Super Warehouse*

23' HP L2335 TFT LCD 1920X1200 60Hz 0.25mm Silver/Carbon P9615A ...
$1639.99
23' HP L2335 TFT LCD 1920X1200 60Hz 0.25mm Silver/Carbon P9615A#ABAPrice:1639.99Compuvest PN:756000653-00Manufacturer:HP (Hewlett-Packard)Manuf. ...
CompuVest*

L2335 23" LCD Performance Series Monitor
$1579.00
23 in Size/23.0 in Viewable, 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz, .258 mm dot pitch, Carbon/Silver, Warranty 3/3/3 (Parts/Labor/On-Site)
pcmall.com*

L2335 23" LCD Performance Series Monitor
$1579.00
23 in Size/23.0 in Viewable, 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz, .258 mm dot pitch, Carbon/Silver, Warranty 3/3/3 (Parts/Labor/On-Site)
MacMall*

HP L2335 - Flat panel display - TFT - 23" - 1920 x 1200 / 60 Hz ...
$1586.22
HP L2335 - Flat panel display - TFT - 23" - 1920 x 1200 / 60 Hz - 0.258 mm - silver, carbon
Etronics*

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv
Another pan in the fire...any thoughs on OLED displays that should hit in '05? too costly at first?
Problems:

1. $$$
2. $$$
3. $$$
4. Life of the display will be too short

I wasn't aware OLEDs were really ready for the big time yet. They have them on some smaller phone screens right now, but I thought that was about it. I could be wrong, but I believe when they come out they'll be more expensive than is really worth it. It's the same as LCD tech, give it a year or two and let the prices come down to where it's manageable.

Theoretically, OLED displays are gonna be incredible. Relatively cheap to produce, great resolutions, incredible brightness, unbeatable lifespan...all the things you want in a display. But they won't be great for at least another few years.

There is a newer display out (a 20 or 23") by someone (I forgot who ) that uses LEDs as the backlight, if I were you, I'd check that out. LEDs have unbeatable life on them. That's a huge drawback of LCDs is that the backlight is essentially just a florescent light, short lifespan, not all that great light, and somewhat uneven in some cases.

So if I were you, I'd just bite the bullet on a 20" if you think you can't afford the 23", it's an incredible display, best on the market. Than 5 years down the road when OLEDs are falling to a level that normal people can afford, jump on that than.

Good luck

Come waste your time with me
DrGruv

2004-09-22, 10:27

Anyone have experience with these:
Sony GDMFW900 24" CRT Monitor

Part #: GDMFW900
The Sony FD Trinitron Wide Aspect Display meets the exacting demands of graphic artists, CAD/CAM engineers, animators and other professional users who require extraordinarily accurate colors and crystal-clear images. This extra-wide 24" display offers an incredible 22.5" viewable image size in a monitor that requires about the same desktop space as most 21" class models. Its virtually flat screen surface provides more true-to-life images, so lines actually appear straighter and circles look round. Contemporary styling in shades of metallic silver and dark gray will appeal to your refined design sensibilities. The FW900 is perfect for graphic designers, architects, photographers, engineers and other professionals who need as much screen space as possible. Its panoramic 16: 10 aspect ratio means you can easily view double-page layouts with room to spare. Or see your entire design at once.without scrolling! Plus there's room to open more menus, toolbars and applications. Just imagine how much more efficiently you'll be able to work! The FW900 includes its own USB hub to make connecting your USB devices even faster and easier. Rather than fumbling in the back of your computer looking for an available USB port, simply plug your peripheral directly into the monitor's base. Now that's true plug and play!

the061

2004-09-23, 03:56

I was in the exact same position as you. I really wanted one of the 23's but couldn't find a way to justify that extra 500 quid. I work predominantly as a web designer, and only do the occasional bit of print work. So really the colour correction was not the most important factor.

However, my current 17 LCD was fading, not to such an extent that it was useless, but it was becoming annoying to work from. So I decided that it needed replacing. I went for the 20 instead and I couldn't be any happier. The new displays are awesome in every way, looks, stability, brightness, colour, sharpness etc...

I have kept on my old 17 and set it up with Windows colourspace and I can test designs by just dragging them over! Way better than sending it through a network and spinning the chair round. I have more screen than I know what to do with! When the 17 is not testing designs, its acting as a palette monitor so I can get a full 1024 x 768 canvas on a single screen with all my PotatoShop panels open at the same time!

Here is a pic of them together. I know the old one is butt ugly but the new Apple one more than makes up for it!

DrGruv

2004-09-26, 21:42

Well, I bought the Sony GDMFW900 24" CRT Monitor off ebay...

It seems that I may have given many the same idea and have been bidding against others

-thanx for all who posted with ideas. Perhaps with the extra $1100+ 'saved' I'll buy the next ibook...

DrGruv

2004-10-01, 11:25

UPDATE

The poeple that I was buying the monitor from had their stock of sixty monitors destroyed by the hurricane...

So back to the beginning...

Read this:
http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/am...les/dell20lcd/

Ended up getting a dell 20" LCD with 400:1 contrast, silver, 1600X1200, 16ms response, 250 brightness for $689!

-mike