User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Artist Starves Dog In Gallery..WTF!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Artist Starves Dog In Gallery..WTF!!!
artesc

2008-04-16, 21:10

ok, so I was screwing around on the net, when I came across this...

"An "artist" from Costa Rica - Guillermo Habacuc Vargas - as an installation piece took a dog from the street and caused it to suffer and starve to death in the name of Art. Guillermo Habacuc Vargas had 2 children catch this dog. He paid the kids for this. He then chained the dog in the corner of a gallery and let it slowly die. He and the viewers calmly stood by and appreciated their grand 'art'".

ok, i'm no crazed animal lover, but this is just fucked up beyond belief. The lengths that people will go to for attention is astounding.

link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vP8CgTonQ

i think there's a petition or something floating around to keep him from representing Costa Rica at the "Biennale Centroamericana Honduras 2008", some art show or something.

again, what the fuck. i just want to kick that bitch in the balls.

artesc all the way!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-16, 21:31

Scum.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-04-16, 21:33

I was pretty upset by this.. And I signed the petition also.

A few days later there was an interview with the galery owner in which he said it was a social experiment, and that no-one got it.. Basically they wanted to see if people would obey the sign not to feed the dog. Lemming syndrome, or sheep syndrome. Call it what you will. He went on to say that the dog was actually fed each night.

Now I am not sure if I believe any of that, and am still glad I signed the petition, and if I saw the artist I would probably want to have a serious conversation with him, before I decided to kill him.

But it's just possible (and I fervently hope) that the disappearing dog, the sign to not feed etc. etc. were all part of this experiment.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-16, 21:38

That's horrific. If it was an experiment, it still seems like a really nasty one.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-04-16, 21:51

Street dogs in Costa Rica are pests. They are everywhere, they are filthy, aggressive and pathetic. Most people down there completely ignore their existence at best, and outright abuse them at worst. It is not at all uncommon. The dog in question would have died on the street just as pathetically without this mans intervention as with it.

I'm more interested in this alleged sign not to feed it. What was the context? It's not much of an Art project when it is so one-dimensional. When you're likely to get kicked out of a zoo or animal habitat for feeding/interacting with the animals, that's generally what people expect. Especially a private situation. The "artist" doesn't make any statement about people in this piece other than they won't feed an animal that they trust is being fed. You would be hard pressed to find a person who would not feed the animal if they knew it was being starved to death, sign or not.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-16, 23:54

Nothing pisses me off quite like elitist fuckheads who purposely rile people up and then use the opportunity to tell us how stupid we are and how he was just performing a "social experiment" all along.

It's like getting paid to be a troll.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-04-16, 23:57

I'm planning to perform a social experiment. I'd like to tie this artist to a cross in the gallery, and put up a sign that says "please kick the artist in the balls as hard as possible." Then the whole point would be whether people would obey the sign.*

Oooh! Significant!

Turner Prize PLZ

*=I would.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 08:30

That the dogs are pests is not really relevant. I wonder what people's reaction would be if you went to India or some place where there are emaciated beggars on the street everywhere... took one and withheld food from him. I mean hey, he was going to die in squalor anyway!

...into the light of a dark black night.
artesc

2008-04-17, 10:07

fucking art snobs. see how far they can go and still call it art.

reminds me of this other guy, forgot his name, who canned his own crap. He put it on auction and someone paid like $100,000 for it because he was making a "statement" about art. they opened it up to see if it really was crap, and I can only assume they were like, "yep, that's shit a'ight"

artesc all the way!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 10:12

That was Piero Manzoni, but I think you're missing his point.

What do you think of Pierre Pinoncelli?

Totally agree that starving dogs is unacceptable, whether for art or any other reason.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm planning to perform a social experiment. I'd like to tie this artist to a cross in the gallery, and put up a sign that says "please kick the artist in the balls as hard as possible."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Nothing pisses me off quite like elitist fuckheads who purposely rile people up and then use the opportunity to tell us how stupid we are and how he was just performing a "social experiment" all along.

It's like getting paid to be a troll.
Agreed. No one fucks with man's best friend and gets away with it! NO ONE!
artesc

2008-04-17, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
That was Piero Manzoni, but I think you're missing his point.

What do you think of Pierre Pinoncelli?

Totally agree that starving dogs is unacceptable, whether for art or any other reason.
Well, I think the whole concept of shock art is pretty stupid. Just because an "artist" does something that would land anybody else in the loony-bin and labels it as art doesn't mean it's art. But that's just me.

"I want to go find some homeless person, slit their throat and use their blood to paint on a blank canvas....it's art, it really is, it's a commentary on our materialistic and desensitized society..."

..yeah right. wtf. you can't rationalize everything as art. no matter how hard you try.

artesc all the way!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-04-17, 11:14

I was scared to click on this thread. Evil bastard.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-04-17, 15:10

You think that's good?

I see your starving dog, and raise you multiple self-induced abortions!

I guess anyone who hooks up with her doesn't have to bother with the "I'm allergic to latex" line.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 15:47

Scum x 2.

Scum excrement... so low even scum looks down upon you.
artesc

2008-04-17, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
You think that's good?

I guess anyone who hooks up with her doesn't have to bother with the "I'm allergic to latex" line.
jesus christ...what's wrong with people these days? and it's usually the people who are into the whole artsy bs crap. you never see any theoretical physicists or computer programmers cutting their own fingers off or self-aborting multiple children...again, wtf.

artesc all the way!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-17, 17:42

That's extremely disturbing. I mean, I'm pro-choice and all, because if you don't want or can't handle a pregnancy you shouldn't be forced to endure it. But stunts like that just trivialize abortion and what a hard hard choice it is to say "no, I can't carry this baby." Worse, it'll give anyone pro-choice a worse name then they had before.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
zsummers
Avast!

2008-04-17, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
You think that's good?

Not passing any judgment, just the news....

AND... this one's a hoax too: Linky.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-04-17, 18:50

Wow. Still majorly fucked up.

Quote:
Ms. Klasky went on to suggest that Yale would not have permitted a project of the sort described in the student newspaper. "Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns."
Real or not, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out serious mental concerns, sparky.