User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
E3 2012
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-06-05, 10:12

Starting a low interest thread as nobody started one and conferences have already been done.

Anybody watched any of the Microsoft/Sony conferences ? Even the Nintendo pre-E3 ?

It's funny how Nintendo's never been on the online thing. Now, seems like they over doing it. They showed some kind of feed that you can post for help of others. Like an interactive FAQ. The guy even called one of the stranger who suggested something. Called like in VIDEO call. Wtf ? Why would I want to receive a call from a perfect stranger asking me how to get through this or that part.

Microsoft showed some nice things. The integration with ios/WinMo and Android is great. All little nice things like using your phone/tablet as a trackpad to control the cursor on the screen while browsing... on IE . Splinter Cell looks sick ! Some rare exclusive that I wish I had a 360 instead of a PS3

I thought Sony was kind of bland. Nothing new or interesting for me. Some cool games but not mind blowind either. Last Of Us looks cool but it's way more similar to Uncharted then reps wants you to think. They're saying things like "A totally different type of game from Uncharted"... Well, not that much. At least, not what you showed.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-06-05, 12:31

The only thing I paid attention to were the SW:TOR announcements. I was pleased with them. Oh, and I was disappointed to hear no news on Dragon Age 3.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-05, 12:55

It's funny watching other forums wreck themselves with disappointment about everything. The PS Vita is dead! The Wii U is DOA! Microsoft doesn't care about games any more! Nintendo is creatively bankrupt!

Just like every other year.

It's true that Sony should have spent a bit more time on the PS Vita in their conference, if only to reassure people. But then people would complain that they were just showing off things that were already announced. The only way to win would be to announce new game after new game after new game, and nobody was doing that this year. The next-gen consoles are coming next year; announcements for next-gen games will come when the consoles that play them are actually announced. So this is very much a "clear the pipelines" E3 — there are very few games being shown that are more than 9 months out.

I'm excited for the Wii U. The first-party launch line-up doesn't seem particularly expansive, but Nintendo always goes for quality over quantity. And they have New Super Mario Bros. U. That's a pretty huge title, but the NSMB games seem to be mostly ignored by core gamers. What Nintendo is missing (so far) is the core title that they had with Twilight Princess at the Wii launch.

I'm not sure Pikmin, NintendoLand, and NSMBU are all they're going to be bringing to launch, though — Nintendo has a knack for announcing titles only a few months before they hit stores. Retro Studios is working on something, and if any Nintendo studio is going to release something for core gamers, it's them. And a Monster Games title has been a mainstay of Nintendo's recent hardware launches.

In any case, I'm planning on picking up a Wii U at launch. It's an interesting idea, and I've never regretted buying a piece of Nintendo hardware.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-05, 12:59

I saw something about a new Star Wars game ("1313"?), but that's all I picked up on. I don't game, and I don't know what "1313" means. Is that a year? 1313 BBY? The Millennium Falcon's license plate number?

All I can say is that it better not be about the Clone Wars...I think we've more than mined that vein for all it is worth.

"Hey, let's tell some more 'Anakin, Obi-Wan and clone-troopers fight some more battle droids and yet another new Sith character' stories!"

Uh, how about let's not.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-05, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw something about a new Star Wars game ("1313"?), but that's all I picked up on. I don't game, and I don't know what "1313" means. Is that a year? 1313 BBY? The Millennium Falcon's license plate number?

All I can say is that it better not be about the Clone Wars...I think we've more than mined that vein for all it is worth.

"Hey, let's tell some more 'Anakin, Obi-Wan and clone-troopers fight some more battle droids and yet another new Sith character' stories!"

Uh, how about let's not.
Everybody thought it was going to be about Boba Fett because I guess he was born in 1313 or something, but it turns out that it takes place in the underground of Coruscant, and "1313" is the level/depth. It still has bounty hunters though, I think. Just not Boba Fett.

They're apparently approaching it like it's a Big Damn Deal, though. I think they want to make 1313 it's own series/sub-universe, rather than just a "regular" spinoff. So it's not Clone Wars, but if they have their way, 1313 might be the next Clone Wars-type thing. I guess. But it seems to have more original characters.

The production values seem to be much higher than most Star Wars games. Most "licensed" games are quick cash-ins — no more an artistic contribution to the universe they're based on than lunch boxes or other merch — but they seem to be trying to avoid that with the most recent Star Wars games. I think the developers genuinely see video games as a medium in which the Star Wars saga can continue to be told.

I'm not really a Star Wars person, but it's neat to see a universe Take Games Seriously.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-05, 13:21

Hmm, interesting. I knew none of that!

If well-made, enjoyable and engaging games can do what the prequels (or any other new movies) can't, that's good.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-06-05, 16:25

1313 looked like they were skinning Star Wars onto Uncharted. It looked cool and pique my interest but it still had a bit of the Uncharted feel to me (which isn't a bad thing).

That works for me though. I think Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Uncharted II/III, inFAMOUS 1/2 & Crackdown have provided great templates into this parkour/platformer/shooter game style.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-06-05, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw something about a new Star Wars game ("1313"?), but that's all I picked up on. I don't game, and I don't know what "1313" means. Is that a year? 1313 BBY?
What Wookiepedia knows. It's not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Everybody thought it was going to be about Boba Fett because I guess he was born in 1313 or something, but it turns out that it takes place in the underground of Coruscant, and "1313" is the level/depth. It still has bounty hunters though, I think. Just not Boba Fett.
If we're using BBY (Before Battle of Yavin, aka before Episode IV) dating, we'd be talking about over a thousand years pre-Clone Wars or ANH. Now, the Ruusan Reformations happened in 1000 BBY, so it's possible it could be set in 1313 BBY; there's lots of warring going on during that time period. See, the way people reconciled the EU with the movie statement of "no major galactic wars since the foundation of the Republic" and "a thousand years" is by pointing out that the Republic underwent a major reformation that limited the powers of the Jedi and disbanded the Republic's standing army/navy complex. So the leadup to that is going to be a ton of conflict. Wookiepedia doesn't state anything major happened in 1313, which makes it a blank slate that the game would have a lot of area to work in.

There's compelling reasons to argue for movies-time and not-movies-time both. In favor of movies time, between 31 BBY (TPM) and 4 ABY (ROTJ) is the sweet spot for Star Wars products because of the sheer recognizability of the timeframe. Plus, you can have cameos all over the place. However, you could argue that there's a glut of products during that time and therefore it would be better to do something in a less crowded period. I'm not sure LucasArts wants to do another "far in the past" game, though. It worked well for the original Knights of the Old Republic, but The Old Republic is currently dominating the middle-Old-Republic timeframe and you don't want to put them too close together. 1313 BBY is 2000 years after TOR and 1000 years before the current timeline, so it's a good midpoint to not encroach on either side. There's also the future time period (post-ROTJ), though, which other games have used (ex: the Jedi Knight series).

tl;dr: lots of times it could take place in, but I'm not sure the title was ever intended to reflect timeframe.

Quote:
They're apparently approaching it like it's a Big Damn Deal, though. I think they want to make 1313 it's own series/sub-universe, rather than just a "regular" spinoff. So it's not Clone Wars, but if they have their way, 1313 might be the next Clone Wars-type thing. I guess. But it seems to have more original characters.
This is par for the course for LucasArts. They have generally always highly supported their major video game endeavors with a plethora of other tie-ins: books, comics, figures, etc. That started at least as far back as Dark Forces (novelizations) and Shadows of the Empire (novel, comic), and continued with Knights of the Old Republic (comics), Republic Commando (novels), The Force Unleashed (novels), and The Old Republic (comics, novels, and even more). I have no interest in the game itself because I don't like shooters, but I would definitely pick up comics or books related to it. Most of the Star Wars game lines aren't just games, they're multi-media experiences, and I think the fact that they're able to integrate their property in ways that appeal to disparate groups (books to appeal to non-gamers, comics to appeal to non-readers, etc) is one of their best strengths.

Quote:
The production values seem to be much higher than most Star Wars games. Most "licensed" games are quick cash-ins — no more an artistic contribution to the universe they're based on than lunch boxes or other merch — but they seem to be trying to avoid that with the most recent Star Wars games. I think the developers genuinely see video games as a medium in which the Star Wars saga can continue to be told.

I'm not really a Star Wars person, but it's neat to see a universe Take Games Seriously.
I think the reason LucasArts pays for the best developers is because they know that Star Wars is in many ways a perfect gaming property. As a space opera franchise, it thrives on high camp over-the-top action-adventure. How many youngsters grew up playing Star Wars with each other? Who hasn't wanted a lightsaber? Video games are the perfect medium with which to express the feeling of being a Big Dam Hero who can take on impossible odds and come out swinging, and Star Wars is the epitome of a certain genre. They're made for each other.

It also helps there's a Star Wars game for everyone. If you like FPS war games, you might like the Republic Commando series. if you like being a powerful Jedi, try Knights of the Old Republic. Quake gameplay? Jedi Knight.* MMO? The Old Republic.** The property appeals to so many different kinds of people that LucasArts can't waste money with a slipshod game. They're going to have to do AAA quality work on all their titles. And except for a few cases, they haven't really ever failed to do that. For example, people can argue that TOR has flaws as an MMO, but I haven't yet heard anyone say it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

*Did anyone else ever multiplayer in Jedi Knight II: Outcast or Jedi Academy? Because I love Jedi Academy and no one plays with me much; anyone want to start a mini AppleNova free for all?
**The Old Republic is introducing to level 15 free trials in July, but if you want to check it out before then, PM me, I have several friend trial codes remaining.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Wrao
Yarp

2012-06-06, 10:17

Quote:
It's funny watching other forums wreck themselves with disappointment about everything. The PS Vita is dead! The Wii U is DOA! Microsoft doesn't care about games any more! Nintendo is creatively bankrupt!

Just like every other year.
Kind of how forums react to just about everything in tech, really. Doubly so if it is something that possesses any break from the norm/novelty or 'new' capability. It's one of those paradoxes of the internet. Forum dwellers tend to consider themselves to be the most 'savvy' or at least knowledgable and competent, but they also tend to be, en masse, the most resistant of change, novelty or any attempts at redefining existing technologies beyond what they are already familiar with. Can think of too many examples where a product or service came along that did something differently, and the one place where you'd expect people to actually be forward-thinking enough to give it a fair shake(forums) usually end up being the most shortsighted overall. Call it "Less space than a nomad" syndrome or something.