User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

the speed of a PB?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
the speed of a PB?
zman2005

2005-02-09, 17:56

Hello all I am switchin from a PC to a MAC. A couple of friends have PB and they tried explaining how the PB opened applications so fast, but they didn't do a great job. I took away from them that the PB keeps all frequently used applications OPENed but just Minimized on the bottom....soo whenever you click on it, the PB automatically just expands the application and it does not reload it. Is this true? or is the machine just amazingly fast and it reloads the applications in seconds?
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-09, 18:07

No it's not true. Buy the computer and you'll understand. My advice: focus on things like what you are going to use it for so you end up more productive.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-09, 18:09

1) I hate questions like this.

2) All applications open in seconds. (unless they are big bastards like MS Office/Photoshop/Dreamweaver...)

3) OS X manages memory well that most programs you never need to close after you have opened them, they sit idle and don't take up system resources. So if you never close them, they are instantly ready when you need them.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-02-09, 18:27

I opened dreamweaver 2004 on an iBook G3 500mhz in about 9 or 10 seconds. Now THAT has something to say.

A new PB would be like a high end Pentium 4.

Except with out interuptions, viruses(no viruses on mac so far) and defragmentation to slow it down. Just cuz' it's a mac.

I love my mac. XD

Founder of the Applenova Folding Team
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 20:12

Mac OS X likes to cache lots of data. It eats RAM for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. One thing it likes to cache is application resources. It you boot up fresh, it may take a given application, say, five seconds to load. However, subsequent launches may be significantly faster.

Even without caching, in Mac OS X handles applications very differently than Windows. In most Windows app, the document window is the application. Open a text file and an instance of Notepad loads. Close that text file and the instance of Notepad is killed. Open multiple text documents and multiple instances of Notepad may be opened (some apps behave differently in this regard).

On Mac OS X (and Macs in general since the beginning), the application is separate from the document. Open a text document and an instance of TextEdit loads. Close the document and TextEdit keeps running. You have to arbitrarily tell TextEdit to quit. There's a lot more to it than this, but that's a simple enough explanation to make my point.

So, when you see someone close all the windows for an application and they click its icon in the Dock, that application may already be resident and is just being brought to the front and told to create a new document window.

I hope this helps. I had trouble reading and understand what your initial post was trying to say.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
zman2005

2005-02-10, 11:44

thanks for the help, I am just trying to figure out what makes Macs so great compared to PC's. Is it the lack of viruses? speed of processors or a different factor. Thanks for the help on all the previous and future questions I will have.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 11:53

Well, you've already decided to switch so I've got to assume that you already have some idea of what makes Macs so great. If not, I'd suggest spending an hour or so down at your local Apple store and fiddle with the Mac of your choice. Ask questions. Apple store employees *friggin love* to answer questions. Ask more questions here too, but nothing beats parking your butt in front of a machine.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-10, 12:01

For me, it's pretty much the whole damned OS - once you use it, you'll understand ... it's a pleasure to work with. Aesthetically, the design of the GUI appeals to me, but also the way that the software has been engineered with little things that programmers have thought about in advance. It all adds up.

Oh and the fact that we don't have to worry abut viruses is also an added bonus!
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-10, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman2005
what makes Macs so great compared to PC's.
Using a macintosh is a near painless experience compared to most other OS and hardware systems, apple software is generally the best, buying a new machine takes little thought, it's really easy to figure out how to do just about anything you want to* and at the same time it is powerful enough to let you grow into the *nix world very easily if you choose to do so.

* note, however, that there are a few quirks, like needing to go into safari to set the internet settings, even if you don't use safari
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-10, 12:12

What makes Macs so great?

Read these.

Lick Me, I'm A Macintosh. What the hell is wrong with Apple that they still give a damn about design and packaging and "feel"?

Delicious Library Review (specifically, just this page of the review)

Most of this thread What is it with Apples before Xaqtly and ryusoma started trolling.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-10, 14:37

Quote:
thanks for the help, I am just trying to figure out what makes Macs so great compared to PC's. Is it the lack of viruses? speed of processors or a different factor. Thanks for the help on all the previous and future questions I will have.
Just buy it. You'll never regret one day. You'll find hundreds of things that tickle you pink. You'll find a dozen reasons why it's better than Windows for what you want to do. You'll have fun. You won't have viruses or firewall problems. You'll love the simplicity of the applications. You'll think it's really intuitive. You'll love iTunes more than you did on your PC. You'll think Quicktime is cool and laugh out loud at some of the Apple ads over the years. You'll enjoy Applenova and value the technical advice people give so freely. You'll get a .Mac email address and think it's cool. You'll buy Airport and think wireless is just so Apple and so easy. You'll find your Mac making your life easier in ways you didn't even imagine. You'll find the hardware and software seem wedded in a way you've never experienced on a PC. You'll think other people are mad for sticking to their PCs. You'll ask why you didn't switch sooner. You'll revel in all of the good stuff. You'll listen to digital radio more. And you'll find people here who will help with all of the questions you think are foolish.

[I'm overwrought but it had to be said].
zman2005

2005-02-10, 16:08

yea I am getting one. But unforutnalety I have to wait till TIGER comes out b/c the parents are paying for it and so they say when they are goin to drop 2500. I am excited and will ask questions as they come, in the meantime HOPE TIGER comes out soon so i can get my MAC finally.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 17:06

Quote:
yea I am getting one. But unforutnalety I have to wait till TIGER comes out b/c the parents are paying for it and so they say when they are goin to drop 2500. I am excited and will ask questions as they come, in the meantime HOPE TIGER comes out soon so i can get my MAC finally.
If you're going for a desktop, get a Mac mini, now.
If you're going for a laptop, get a iBook, now.
They are really cheap. You can always sell them on ebay or elsewhere, and switch to a higher end machine, and recover most of the cost. (Owning a new Powerbook for half a year, then selling it, I recovered almost 85% of the price. You could probably do the same with an iBook and lose only around $150 for having a computer right away - if you want to get rid of it at all. I'm now happily plugging away with an iBook.) Besides, Apple makes moving your stuff and settings on a new computer easy.
zman2005

2005-02-10, 21:16

ahh I wish, the parents wouldn't go for that, trust me i've tried almost every possible option for them. The answer always follows: you don't need a new computer now, wait until the last possible moment and buy the most up to date item out there. So thanks for the suggestions. just waiting and hoping for tiger.