Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod Photo Camera Connector

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Photo Camera Connector
Baylor8306

2005-03-25, 12:37

the newest iPod Updater available via SU reads:
iPod software update 2005-03-23 delivers iPod software 1.1 (for iPod with color display)
Support for optional iPod Camera Connector for importing and viewing photos directly on iPod
Updated slideshow transitions
i guess we can count on the the iPod Camera Connector very soon and it looks like Apple is dropping the "photo" portion of the iPod photo as they call it the "iPod with color display" i read somewhere that the new iPod photo boxes have minimized the word photo on the box as well
abraham

2005-03-25, 12:54

i thought that the camera connector was already out?
Unbeliever

Send a message via AIM to Unbeliever  
2005-03-25, 14:04

yeah
camere connector was released late last week i think :/

1.1 iPod photo firmware is bigger news than the "imminent release of the camera connector"
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-25, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor8306
....[snip]... and it looks like Apple is dropping the "photo" portion of the iPod photo as they call it the "iPod with color display" i read somewhere that the new iPod photo boxes have minimized the word photo on the box as well
Actually, I'm impressed with this ... never cared for the "photo" distinction.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-25, 19:35

Who is it that keeps saying "I'm tellin' you, the iPod photo is the 5G iPod..."

Looks like they're right...
Noel

2005-03-26, 00:11

It's not, though. It's just an extension of the 4G's. The 5G is gonna be another re-design (although it is probable that all 5G models will have photo-functionality).
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2005-03-27, 15:05

I'm disappointed that this connector doesn't work with the rest of the dockable iPods. Especially given that we know they have this capability, as the Belkin device can do it. I don't want or expect to look at my pics on the B&W screen, but it's annoying to have to buy more flash memory when I have a 40GB iPod in my pocket most of the time. Simply being able to move them to my iPod with this kind of device would be nice.

It would have been nice to have this cheap device to move pics from my camera to my iPod… I'm sure it makes good business sense, but it's a little grating, that's all.

I typed this message on a white MacBook.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-04-03, 04:34

I think it's pretty retarded that you need to connect your camera to the thing via usb, meaning you draw power from the camera and you also need certain drivers like things on the ipod to recognise different cameras.

Why don't they make it so you can read the memory card?

Has anyone tried doing a transfer? I have a Nikon D70 and I'm planning a summer trip, so i need something to transfer pictures on. does anyone know the speed?

Also, is it possible to connect a usb card reader to the camera connector and transfer pics that way?

Thanks.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-04-03, 13:12

[quote=stevegong]I think it's pretty retarded that you need to connect your camera to the thing via usb, meaning you draw power from the camera and you also need certain drivers like things on the ipod to recognise different cameras.[.QUOTE]

Except there's standards such as PTP for camera data transfer, so the iPod only needs a few drivers.

Quote:
Why don't they make it so you can read the memory card?
Because 1) that isn't nearly as seamless for the user, and more importantly, 2) that would require the iPod to have about 9 different slots.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to connect a usb card reader to the camera connector and transfer pics that way?

Thanks.
Depends on the reader, but yes.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-04-03, 13:47

Is getting an iPod photo + card reader the best choice if I need to save my pics on it during travel? I bet there are cheaper and more practical alternatives?

having an ipod photo is nice, but I already have an ipod, and don't really need the added ipod photo features.

anyone know of any alternatives?

Thanks.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 22:11

for those of us using 2 gig CF cards this is a godsend... means i can stay with just one CF card and everyday or two after I fill it up I can dump the files to the iPod..... i'll probably upgrade when the iPod hits 80GB+ even then i'd still have to stop myself from filling all 80 with just music.....
javiercr

2005-04-14, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong

Has anyone tried doing a transfer? I have a Nikon D70 and I'm planning a summer trip, so i need something to transfer pictures on. does anyone know the speed?

Thanks.
Yes i did the transfer and I also have a D70, i wrote a little page about it, check it here www.jcrphoto.com/mac