Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Once again the Terminal saves the day.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Once again the Terminal saves the day.
Res

2005-08-05, 12:43

I did a bad thing to my powerbook...

I'm about to go on a trip, so I decided to download a few books from project Gutenberg and transfer them to my Sony PSP. Now, as of yet, the psp does not handle text, so to get around that you use a program that converts text to pictures and use the built in image viewer to read books on the PSP. Unfortunately, when converting the first book, I forgot to point the output to a folder -- so over 500 hundred images were dumped on the desktop! And I had it set to show icon previews... the finder was not happy.

The images choked the finder and left me with a spinning beach ball. I tried relaunching the finder from the dock and I gave it several hours hoping it would percolate through the preview conversions and come back to life, but it was not to be. Fortunately the dock was still simi-working, and I managed to lunch the terminal from it. A quick cd to the Desktop and a rm page* (followed be a relaunch of the finder) and everything was fine. You just have to love the Terminal -- how did we ever get along without its sweet command line interface? :smokey:

Not like this. Not like this...
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-08-05, 13:02

heh...
I once charged a client to do just that.

He was using an app that broke down a video into frame by frame jpegs.. and set the project folder to his desktop... over 2500 pictures were there....

So I tell him that I'm not responsible for any data loss, and that I could clear off his desktop. He agreed, paid $90, and I just popped open a term, cd Desktop, rm -f temp*.jpg

It took the finder a few seonds to refresh itself... but it was cool seeing 2500 files get sucked away off a desktop.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!