User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

PowerMac G5 for MacBook Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PowerMac G5 for MacBook Pro
defaultmike

2006-02-10, 16:44

So, I have this rev A PowerMac G5 that I´m thinking about trading for a MacBookPro. I purchased it at launch (sept. 2k4) and have used it for Graphic Design ever since.

My G5:
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz
2.5Gb of Ram
ATI 9600 w/ 64mb
Superdrive
Built-in bluetooth
Miglia Alchemy TV DVR
original mouse + keyboard
in the box with all cd roms

brand new, outta the box MacBook Pro:
Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
1.5Gb Ram
ATI X1600 w/ 256mb
Superdrive
built-in bluetooth
built-in airport
+
bluetooth mouse
bluetooth keyboard
+
a 200gb HDD installed

before you start bragging about how much I should get the MacBook Pro, let me make u aware of something. My situation is very unique. I live in Brazil. Mac here cost a lot more due to the import tax, and this guy, can bring a MacBook from abroad w/o having to pay the import tax. He can do that, because it´s a laptop, he wouldn´t be able to do that with ah G5. So, the G5 has a higher value here in these specific conditions. so, any thoughts?
Jerman

2006-02-10, 18:28

Hmm, I doubt many here will push for you purchaing a MacBook Pro this early in the game, due to the field of computing you are invoved with... It will be a long time of course before Photoshop is made a universal binary (at least from all indications at this point), so it would be awhile before you would effectively be able to do your work.
Jerman

2006-02-10, 18:29

And oh yeah, did you mean 100 gig drive in the MacBook?
defaultmike

2006-02-10, 18:42

see, that's the thing, he told me that it was the 200gb hard drive that he would install from something from IBM, but I don't know about that, I'd be happy with the 100g or the 120g

the thing is, although it's awesome to have the G5s processing power... I rarely use it. Only for freelance stuff, whichis only so often. Also, I think that perhaps I could hold out for Photoshop in 2007.

I also have a 1.2fhz 12" iBook with 1.25gb of ram that occasionally I use for design work. But mainly, for internet.

I know it's the consumer in me that's begging me to exchange my G5 for the MacBook, but would that be stupid of me to do?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-11, 00:05

Do you have a nice display for your PowerMac? If you have a ACD or a high-end display from another manufacturer than I think that you may be better-off sticking with the G5.

If portability is the question, then go with the MacBook Pro. It has a smaller but very bright display and should pack enough punch to give you comparable performance vs a PowerMac.

If you need a specific App like Photoshop or some other non-universal program, stick with the G5.

If you have time to wait, then see what Apple releases in the coming months, it may save you some money in the long run.

I haven't heard of a 200gig HDD for a laptop, are you sure that it would fit in the < 1" enclosure of the MacBook Pro??

Most importantly is that you do what you want. If you really do want the MacBook Pro, then get it! It is a fine computer even if people think it will be replaced w/ something more ecconomical.

Hope that helps!
defaultmike

2006-02-12, 01:41

Thanks for the help guys. Basically, I'm trying to listen to all the advice I can get before I decide what I'm gonna do. I've got til Friday to give him the answer.

I have a 17" LCD display (Apple Studio Display) and a 12" iBook 1.2GHz
If the performance of the MacBook Pro with Photoshop and Illustrator is any better than my iBook's, then I'll be def. fine.

Cuz though my iBook isn't as fast as my G5, it's still fast enough for me. I mean, I worked for a year on a 400MHz G4 at an ad agency here. And even right now, I'm working in another agency here where I work on a 3GHz Dell, which is definitely not the fastest comp ever. So I can deal with it being not as fast as my G5.and if it isn't faster than my ibook running photoshop, I'll just use the iBook til Adobe puts out a unversal binary (late 2006 or 2007).

I'm looking at this as an oportunity to exchange my G5 for a computer with a greater market value. Also,portability is an issue for me. I'mplanning on moving to another country, and I can afford to take my G5 there.

I intend on having my mind made up by Wednesday, so if anyone has any thoughts on this situation, please do so. But for now, I'm more bent on trading the G5 for the MacBook Pro.