AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

external will not boot

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
external will not boot
stevan

2004-10-14, 20:27

Hello there

to resume my problem

my 2.5" toshiba MK 6022GAX sticked in to an External enclosure powered with AC adapter with an I/O IC from Prolific PL3507 Combo (tested to be booteble )
formated HFS+ journal and tested by techtool 4 to be OK, will not BOOT!! Installed OSX from original MAC OS CD.
MY PB G4 1.33 256 60 GB 15" runs under OS X 3.5.
System Profile see External FireWire HDD an ID it correctly. DiscUtility let my Formated HFS + J. and is works fine ( copy my PB with CCC on to the drive let me use all my app. like it would be my original PB. )
System Pref. "SEEs" the FireWire and the OS and lets me selected it as an start up disk. but after restart screen stays grey.
restart with -option key gives me a blue screen with no selection to choose from ( no icons at all ) .
after disconnecting XHD drive PB boot up fine.

why i can not boot from a external FireWire Drive. ?

kindly
Stephan
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-10-14, 21:42

Maybe the System folder isn't "blessed". In case it isn't, boot from your install CD again then go to "Startup Disk", select a random disk then the external drive.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
fiddler

2004-10-15, 06:25

Sometimes it's just simply a compatibility problem.

I have a 160 gig WD drive inside a Vantec enclosure, and I was trying for a few days to use it as a boot drive before visiting their website, which told me that although you can use the drive as a storage device, it can't be used to boot.

Supposedly the next 10.3.x release is going to have some compatibility fixes for external USB and Firewire devices -- I'm crossing my fingers.