Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Gear Heads?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Gear Heads?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 15:08

My father has been a mechanic for about 50 years, since he was 13, he's fond of reminding me. The man knows how to do everything -- weld, metal forming, engine rebuilds. His skills are a little old school, but it's perfect for what I have in mind.

The old man has been looking for a reason to spend time with me. I have always had a secret fascination with mechanical things. So I thought, why don't we build something? There's a two car garage full of tools, an engine stand, a hoist, pneumatic tool system... and it largely goes unused 'cause the poor guy doesn't want to touch another tool once he gets home.

But he's retiring soon...

My mother would kill him, and then me, if we shrunk the current two car - but only fits one - configuration down to a two car - now fits none configuration. Hehe. So overhaulin a car is out, although he built two of the coolest Novas evar when I was a kid.

I thought, we could build a really neat bike. A harley clone. I've been looking through an aftermarket parts catalogue. An SS engine kit, and a raked soft-tail frame plus tank can be had for a reasonable price. We do the swap meet thing for all the rest. We can put the frame on the stand -- even if we have to bung up a braket out of square tubing -- and make sure that mom keeps her side of the garage.

Anyone ever built anything. How many years before we finish?
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-09-06, 20:25

heh. i got a big grin as i read your post.

me and my pop started fixing up old beaters back as far as i can remember...well at least i can remember working on stuff at 7 years old. neither of us is master mechanics. but, we get the job done.

one thing i can say is restoration of ANYTHING takes about 4 times longer and 4 times as much $$$ as you plan. and, when i say plan, i mean--ya sit down. write out every conceivable part and/or service you might need to buy/pay for; figure a liberal amount of time to complete each task--THEN multiply them by 4.

i've got a 2 car garage full of two projects. word of advice--NEVER start two things at once. GAWD, i feel like i may never get either of my projects done.

but, it is great fun. i just wish my dad was closer to help work on the things like in the old days. im half way across the country now. but, we still exchange notes, swap horror stories.

enjoy it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 21:15

Hemi guy huh? Too bad the 350 small block rulez, ahahaha!

I'm a huge fan of some of the more modern Harley customs that sport more of a drag bike look, not neccessaarily raked out and laid back. The frame is stretched, but the front end has sane geometry. I've found a few, and the prices are good. If they need a little reinforcement, we have enough access to the right bar stock to do that (and enough imagination -- if not enough talent and patience, to make it look cool too). Similarly with rear ends -- quality stuff is available fairly cheap.

The biggest shock will be the front end. A real good front end would cost as much as a good frame -- something like Ceriani for instance. Something interesting, like a springer, would also cost a ton. So I don't know where we're going to find the right forks. Who knows if salvage are straight or not. If I can find someone reliable, we can do a lot with some gold valves and good tripple clamps.

You need about 4K worth of frame, and 4K worth of engine -- nothing with huge HP, no more than 100ci -- better to be smooth and reliable. Can't really make a tank, no english wheel, hammer and torch would take forever. Will have to buy one -- might be able to stretch one out.

Rims, primary kit, battery, wiring harness, brakes, master cylinder, bars, foot controls/pegs, sprokets, trans and primary/cover.

Could easily be 20K worth of parts. Holy crap, that's just off the top of my head!

Might have to look for a more complete frame kit out of the box, or a beater softail (hard to find) and focus on suspension and aesthics.

Last edited by Matsu : 2004-09-06 at 21:40.