Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Question for Hockey Fans...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question for Hockey Fans...
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-22, 20:26

I ran across an old hockey stick that I found in my garage, and I was about to throw it away until I realized that it might be worth something. I took it into the shop and stripped and sanded it down. I discovered some markings on it also, so in the process of restoring it I re-marked them. The brand says Hedlund, which apparently was a company started in the North in 1948. They specialized in water skis and recreational goods like hockey sticks. Here is about the only piece of information that I could find about the company: http://www.nokomisonline.com/hedlundhistory.html

The stick itself is made of solid wood with a glued joint. I refinished the sanded wood with clear coat, and it looks pretty authentic. Here are some pictures of it:

What do you think I should sell it for? What should I do with it?

Thanks for any help!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-22, 20:36

$3. Canadian dollars.

Try ebay?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-22, 20:42

I'm going to put it up on eBay, but I'm wondering what anyone would want for it. Is it some rare, collectors item... or something that a guy in Phoenix wants to hang over his dry bar? I'm not a hockey fan or hockey history buff. Handmade around 1950.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-22, 21:02

Well, if it had any collectible/antique value, that was probably wiped out when you sanded and refinished it. :/

OTOH, you can send it my way.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-22, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Well, if it had any collectible/antique value, that was probably wiped out when you sanded and refinished it. :/
But they do that with all antiques as well otherwise antiques won't look as pretty. Judging from the photos, I would think he did at least an okay job of refinishing it?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-22, 21:38

It had been used and taped with athletic tape before, so I don't think I lessened the value by refinishing it.
keoki

2006-06-22, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
But they do that with all antiques as well otherwise antiques won't look as pretty. Judging from the photos, I would think he did at least an okay job of refinishing it?
true, my dad is an antique restorer. for most antiques (chairs, paintings, tables, etc...), you would probably want to hire a professional. Yet something that simple can generally be done at home. You have done a good job as far as I can tell.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-23, 00:40

I don't really know what a pro could've done differently. I sanded all the glue off and used oil-based paint to re-mark all the lettering. I then used some marine wood sealer to clear-coat it. The stick itself has been used as a hockey stick, so there are some dents . I'll probably start it off around $10 USD. What should I set a reserve at? I spent a good three hours sanding and painting.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-23, 00:41

I hate reserves. They draw me away from listings.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-23, 00:47

Yeah, why not just start the auction at what your reserve price would be? Save everyone the hassle of guessing.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-06-23, 05:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
I don't really know what a pro could've done differently. I sanded all the glue off and used oil-based paint to re-mark all the lettering. I then used some marine wood sealer to clear-coat it. The stick itself has been used as a hockey stick, so there are some dents . I'll probably start it off around $10 USD. What should I set a reserve at? I spent a good three hours sanding and painting.
Uh... how about "as-is".

What you might think makes something collectible ("shiny better-than-original finish") may be opposite to what collectors value ... patina of age, rare varnish, errors and misprints, 'game worn' equipment etc. The dents you sand out might be the result of a game-winning play, which are therefore associated with that stick and add to its value. Who knows.

Next thing you'll be licking those rare stamps to test if they have glue, then reapplying some modern adhesive before eBaying them... or retouching paintings.

I'd say leave "antiques" alone on principle. Unless you're an expert.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-06-23 at 05:12.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 10:55

Exactly. If you sand down an antique to bare wood, and refinish it from scratch, exactly how is that different than buying a reproduction? You wipe out any historical value, and that's the only thing that distinguishes an antique from new.

Almost exclusively, antiques that have been rebuilt lose value, not gain it. Minor restoration can add value, but it has to be done extremely carefully, and, preferably, using original materials and techniques. (ie, milk paints, aniline dye stains, etc)

What you have there is a nice decoration, but I don't think it has any real value any more, at least to a collector. You can probably sell it for a few bucks to someone looking to put it over the mantle of their hunting cabin though.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-23, 11:27

Hmm. I still don't get it.

If I wanted an antique table, I would invariably prefer one with no scratches or fading. Therefore if I found a table that had a great design but was badly abused by previous owner, I'd want it restored to its original beauty, no?

If I were a museum curator, I may have different look at how it's valued, but as collector, I'd like my collection be in good condition, and restore where decay has attacked my collection, no?

But then again, I do sometimes wonder whether collectors really are having fun with their hobby when they store their collection in dustproof, lightproof, heatproof, humidity-proof, whatnot-proof container that must not be juggled, moved, opened, or exposed to direct sunlight.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-06-23, 11:34

Honestly don't know what I'd set as the price. I have a Northland stick from 1948 sitting in my garage, waiting to be mounted on the wall in the basement whenever I get my own house after college. Personally, I wouldn't sell mine

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-23, 12:49

Anyone who has spent any time at all watching Antiques Roadshow knows that the whole point (and value) of an antique item is that it has the *appearance* of an antique! HellllOOOO.....!!!!!

I've seen shows where the evaluator tells the owner of an antique table that if he *hadn't* cleaned up this rare colonial piece, if he'd left the patina just the way it was, the table would be worth $50,000.

But now that the owner - in his infinite wisdom - has cleaned all that nice patina off the table, it's worth, oh, $3,000.

You should see how crestfallen the owner looks - to have lost $47,000 because he didn't bother doing a little general research on antiques. Tsk.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-06-24 at 14:01.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-23, 12:52

I'm sorry, but I still don't get the logic.

They would value an abused antique more than a properly restored antique?

I can see how a poor or mistaken restoration would be bad idea, but a proper restoration shouldn't take away the value... What's the point of having antiques covered with old scratches and other degradation anyway?

It would be one thing if patina was a deliberate design, but I'm not going to value a corroded statue if it wasn't made this originally.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-23, 13:08

Well... I could always give it to my little brother and have him beat it around the driveway a bit. The reason I gave it some new coating was because when I took off the tape (which wasn't authentic, just some athletic tape from the 80's) the blade was still clear-coated. I had a stick that half of it was bare and the other half was coated . After giving it some thought, I decided to refinish the other half. The labels were also on the verge of disappearing for good. They were so faint that I really couldn't see them without careful inspection. I decided to at least make them visible so the name wasn't forgotten.

In our house we have lots of antiques. Most of it is furniture, like dressers and end tables, and about half of them are re-finished. Apparently it doesn't effect the value too much if the furniture has been restored. We also have these antique stain-glass windows that sit around our house, and we got them at a discount because they weren't in ideal shape. As a buyer/seller, I believe the option is up to you.

The real value of this stick is the hand-made qualities, like the seamless joint and the straight wood used to make it. I didn't over-sand or alter the original wood at all, besides giving it a new protective coat. If this was something that could be easily stored in a container to protect it, I wouldn't have altered it. Unfortunately, I have to store this in a non-controlled environment, so I did my part to protect the wood.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-06-23, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I'm sorry, but I still don't get the logic.

They would value an abused antique more than a properly restored antique?

I can see how a poor or mistaken restoration would be bad idea, but a proper restoration shouldn't take away the value... What's the point of having antiques covered with old scratches and other degradation anyway?

It would be one thing if patina was a deliberate design, but I'm not going to value a corroded statue if it wasn't made this originally.
Well, see... the scratches and patina help prove its age.

Anybody can 'fake' a colonial period dresser with new paint.

What's tough to replicate is the 'experience' of 150+ years of finger oils on the knobs, or the wear on the drawers, etc.

Old things are supposed to look old.
Sorry if that seem too obvious. Otherwise buy a replica.
No botox wanted. Original equipment only.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.