AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: Transportation (March 15, 2010)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Transportation (March 15, 2010)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 17:45

This month's Photo Challenge Thread theme is transportation: the vehicles, infrastructure, and people of human transport. It matters not whether the photo shows a village bicycle ride or a jumbo jet, leisure travel or the daily commute, the mode of transport or the people using it. The photo should however relate to present-day transportation, as opposed to nostalgia about the past. Vintage car shows and steam locomotives will not win.

As the judge for this month's competition, I'll be looking for photos that provide an interesting view of the transportation subject you choose to photograph. The photos may be interesting because they tell a story, evoke a feeling, or simply look good.

The theme is deliberately broad to encourage participation. Submitted photos must have been taken between February 15 and March 15 (deadline in thread title). See this thread for more context and further rules. The general rule is: keep post-processing to a minimum.

This month the top prize is... an ego boost! That's worth fighting for, I reckon. As Chinney said last month: "Enter early. Enter often." Have fun!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-02-17, 19:05

Sounds like a great topic, should be a challenge...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 19:21

Great topic. I'll be in. Until you added that clarification about 'no vintage' I had been thinking of taking a pic of an old car rotting away on a local street, but I'll think of something else.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-17, 22:53

I'm certainly in on this one. I have something in mind already! I'll post it if it works out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-02-21, 18:21

Another weak entry from Brad, but it had to be posted.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-02-21, 18:28

Nice one Brad, love the new hood ordiment.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-07, 01:14

I showed this a few days ago in the colour photo thread, but I like this one, and I think it fits the theme.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-11, 05:31

My window of oportunity is this weekend and I hope to get my shot then. I'll get something in either way, but I'm still on track for my planned shot, just maybe not my original envisionment but slightly modified.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
sebatlh

2010-03-13, 14:17

Saw this thread and thought that I should participate
I was riding the commuter train to work when I saw two security guys eating breakfast (I guess) on the platform.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-03-14, 14:54

Any luck, turtle2472?

Good entries so far but we would love more. Deadline approaching.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-14, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Any luck, turtle2472?

Good entries so far but we would love more. Deadline approaching.
Well, not like I had planned and I forgot to bring my card reader with me. It looks like I'm going to be placing my entry at the last minute now. I'm still expecting it, but I don't have it yet.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
It looks like I'm going to be placing my entry at the last minute now. I'm still expecting it, but I don't have it yet.
Same for me here, too...
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-15, 00:58

don't remember if I have to take it within the month... but if so disqualify me (took this last summer). Forgot about the photo contest till it was too late so for the sake of submitting something, I hope you guys enjoy this picture. One of my favorites I've taken. I was driving home at night and decided to hold the camera at my chest with a 30 second exposure.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-15, 01:51

The rules, as per the original thread, is that the photo must be taken during the period between the end of the last challenge and the end of the current one. Nice shot though, sorry.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-03-15, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The rules, as per the original thread, is that the photo must be taken during the period between the end of the last challenge and the end of the current one. Nice shot though, sorry.
That's what I thought but the other pictures were looking kinda lonely
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-15, 10:13

Yeah, I know, I was really hoping this months would get more people involved it is a neat topic.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-15, 10:24

Well just to add another kink in the works my camera seems to have eaten my images. I can see them when I play the pics through the camera previewer but once downloaded they are unrecognized. I'm not going to be able to do anything with it until I get home later tonight either. This will likely be well after midnight.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-15, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yeah, I know, I was really hoping this months would get more people involved it is a neat topic.
I would totally be involved if I had an okay camera
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-15, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I would totally be involved if I had an okay camera
Do it anyway!

That's the whole point of these challenges, everyone has a shot. It's not about who has the best camera or equipment. You should join in anyway. Really!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-15, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Well just to add another kink in the works my camera seems to have eaten my images. I can see them when I play the pics through the camera previewer but once downloaded they are unrecognized. I'm not going to be able to do anything with it until I get home later tonight either. This will likely be well after midnight.
I think we can make an exception for cases like this. Hope you are able to recover the images.

Robo: Shoot anyway, Chase Jarvis (well known pro photographer) just released a book of over a 100 images taken with just an iPhone. He is quoted as saying "the best camera is the one you have with you." We are looking for creativity as much as pure image quality here.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 13:55

Just in time, finally my entry.
At last I took my photo equipment to work and on the way home, I installed the tripod on the back seat and made the shot which I had in my head for some weeks - Although the weather was less than optimal.
CoachKrzyzewski beat me though in posting a similar idea.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 16:53

Wow. What a great shot. I've been sick, on and off, for the past few weeks. (One of the hazards of having kids at home - you get everything that they get.) I am going to try to get a shot now.....and post by midnight Pacific NA time, which I believe is still the deadline.....

Noel

2010-03-15, 17:01

Loving the colors in that photo, GSpotter. The rain just makes it cooler.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-15, 17:42

Yeah that is a great shot.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 20:55

I had just a few minutes this afternoon, and this is what I came back with. I took it right into the sun. It violates some of PB's rules, as I applied some post-processing, and just about every rule of photography. I know that it is far from good in any real sense, but there is something that I like about it.

I call it "Public Transit Meets the Langoliers".

Last edited by Chinney : 2010-03-15 at 21:34.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-15, 21:08

I think we agreed that some PP was okay, just nothing outlandish. After all, if you think the photo I took is a jpg straight from the camera, you'd be fooling yourself, its from a 14bit RAW file.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 21:14

OK. I'm not disqualified.

There is still time for others to get some shots in. Once again, midnight, Vancouver time (GMT-7), is the deadline.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-03-15, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
Just in time, finally my entry.
At last I took my photo equipment to work and on the way home, I installed the tripod on the back seat and made the shot which I had in my head for some weeks - Although the weather was less than optimal.
CoachKrzyzewski beat me though in posting a similar idea.

similar idea, superior execution. Great shot.
Noel

2010-03-15, 21:42

Another last-minute entry from me. I took this at the end of February, not really thinking of this thread, but it's certainly applicable. I love having a car in the winter.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-15, 21:58

Backstory: Image taken on the road with my phone. Uploaded at 75MPH on I-95 Northbound to Flickr via email uploading. Navigated to on my phone and copied the link so I could post here while now doing 75MPH outside of exit 77 stopping to get gas.