Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Spiderman 2 review/discussion thread...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spiderman 2 review/discussion thread...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 10:00

Can't believe there isn't one here already (unless I've foolishly overlooked it).

Anyway, saw it at the 7:45 showing last night (the ones before AND after, including a final 10:30pm showing) were sold out...on a rainy Wednesday night! A good sign for Sony, I'm sure.

Anyway, I was completely entertained and enjoyed it. A solid 8.68 on Paul's Summer-Movie-Rama Scale. Great effects/stunts/action. And Tobey McGuire is watchable and engaging as Peter Parker (seems like most of the Spider Man stuff, except for a few sedate scenes, were CGI...featuring fistfights on the side of skyscrapers and whatnot).

And a GREAT sequence involving an el train running through the city.

Definitely worth the full price I paid to see it, and certainly good for a matinee viewing if you're looking for a fun, beautifully shot and engaging summer popcorn flick.

And it was wonderfully set-up at the end for an exciting "part 3" sequel, with a surprising cameo.

HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-01, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
And a GREAT sequence involving an el train running through the city.

That was a great scene except for the fact that there is no elevated train system in Manhattan anymore. I was watching it and trying to enjoy it, but I kept breaking out in laughter. The damned line looked like it ran all the way down from Midtown to Battery Park City along Broadway. It just stops at the tip?

Besides that, it really was a good flick. I got out of work early and saw a 12:30 showing and it was packed. I had to sit in the third row.

I thought they were setting up one particular super villain, but I haven't read comics in a while. Upon some googling it appears that I was mistaken.

Consensus Taking:

Do we want to go into spoilers?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 10:21

How about this: in any thread containing spoilers, perhaps it should SAY SO in bold type, at the beginning of the part where the spoiler talk begins?

Only fair.

Either that, OR have a separate "spoiler fest" thread altogether, where those who've seen it can talk freely, without worrying?
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-07-01, 14:01

I think they might be setting up one of the best (IMO) villans in the Spidey universe.

Of course, since this isn't a spoiler thread I won't say which one...

Just to mention that it has to do with J.J.'s son...

I do agree with the opinions that this movie was far better than the first. I might actually go see it again, the first movie all summer that's made me want to do that.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-03, 03:07

Fantastic. It's the best comic->film translation ever.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOIILERS

MAJOR SPOILERS

WTF was with those two medivac helicopters at the end. Jesus.

Yah, Johnny "Jawline" Astronaut USA is being set-up to be a villain, big time. They've made the character somewhat likable. He's basically Peter Parker without any sense of duty. I dont know if the guy's a major character, but you can totally see how he could turn into a nemesis.

Okay, I just looked it up, and he IS a major character...and he does turn into a tormented not-quite villain. The arc is a bit other worldly so I think they probably won't use it in the films...but they've obviously given themselves the option.

The next Spidey will probably have Venom with a minor Harry/Goblin subplot.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-03, 03:44

Quote:
...A good sign for Sony...
Yes, a good sign for my employer!
I'm looking to buy a house next spring, so I need a blockbuster to ensure my longevity at the studio.

I really had doubts for the last few months. I truly believed that they would over think it, but it really is a great, fully rounded story.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-03, 08:56

I was going to get out today, do some errands (look at cell phones and whatnot). If I find myself near a theater and a convenient start time, I might take in a matinee showing, just for fun, and to see it with a hopped-up, holiday weekend crowd.

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-03, 09:12

question. why did the doctor have a grateful dead shirt on?

any ways i hope venom is the next villan that guy is awesome

Last edited by windowsblowsass : 2004-07-03 at 09:19.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-03, 09:19

SPOILER BELOW, SPOILER BELOW...DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING...YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Was I the only one who thought Peter was going to get with that anorexic Russian chick (the landlord's daughter)?

Seemed the whole thing with MJ was hopeless at that point, so here's this oddly cute, sweet-acting girl making overtures.

When a woman asks if you want some cake, there are so many ways you could take that. And a guy such as myself would probably take it in all the wrong ones.

She NEEDED some cake, that's for sure. Couldn't have been 88 pounds...

Also, what about the medivac copters, Eugene? At the very end, when he's swinging off into the sunset? What about them?

Also, anyone catch the Stan Lee cameo? During one of the first fights with Doc Oc on the side of the building (I think when he had Aunt May in his clutches). Anyway, parts of the building were getting smashed and debris was falling to the ground. In about a 1-2 second scene, Stan Lee was shown pulling a woman out of harm's way on the sidewalk below.

He was also in last year's "Hulk" movie, playing a security guard in a walk-by cameo...with Lou Ferrigno, no less!

Niiiiice.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-03, 09:31

SPOILERS ETC

yeah it seemed like that chick was really into him then she shows up and is like do you want some cake. comeon get with the program
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-03, 10:12

Quote:
SPOILER BELOW, SPOILER BELOW...DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING...YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Also, what about the medivac copters, Eugene? At the very end, when he's swinging off into the sunset? What about them?

Also, anyone catch the Stan Lee cameo? During one of the first fights with Doc Oc on the side of the building (I think when he had Aunt May in his clutches). Anyway, parts of the building were getting smashed and debris was falling to the ground. In about a 1-2 second scene, Stan Lee was shown pulling a woman out of harm's way on the sidewalk below.
The helicopters and firetrucks at the end were AWFUL. It was as if they were only partially rendered into the scene...with awful physics and all around awfulness.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other in-jokes like the entire Bruce Campbell usher scene and the chainsaw action in the operating room.
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-07-03, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
The next Spidey will probably have Venom with a minor Harry/Goblin subplot.
Oh please, please let it be true!

What I would give to see Venom take on Spidey on the big screen!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-03, 23:45

*goes to .com, copy... PASTE*

I really enjoyed the movie, spider-man is probably my all time favorite super hero, And these movies do a fantastic job bringing the comics to real life. And the daily Bugle guy, jamerson, is amazing and almost single handedly makes the movie worthwhile.

Spoilers

I've given a lot of thought to this Eugene, And my friend(Big comic book fan and movie buff) told me that they plan to make more than 3 spider-man movies. Now this sets up an interesting scenario I think, since they already, imo, introduced the next few victims...hmm..I meant to type villains, but in a sense most of the villains are victims to something. So - We have Harry Osborne, Wants revenge against spider-man for killing his father, hates Spider-man. But, Peter is still his friend, he doesn't want to lose peter as a friend, he also doesn't want to follow his dad's footsteps as the green goblin, BUT, he still has an irrational hate towards spider-man, and as shown in SM2, he started having delusional visions like his father did. So, that's setting him up to be the next primary villain...or is it? Also, on the sidelines we have Peter Parkers Professor, the one-armed guy. In the comics, he develops a serum using Lizard DNA, in an effort to grow back his arm, It works, but then it causes his mind to snap and he becomes a giant Lizard and terrorizes the City. Then finally, we have, by far, the most popular Spider-man villain around. VENOM, The problem with Venom is, they haven't established anything about him yet. EXCEPT john astronaut, But, the character that turns into venom in the comics, Brock, he hasn't been introduced yet, and also, I don't really think that the series is ready to bring a space alien into the fold yet.

So, What I think is going to happen in SM3, they will introduce Brock as a character in the beginning, then somewhere in the movie John astronaut will go out to space on a mission, and he'll probably return near the end of the movie, bringing with him the venom symbiotic, where it will set itself up for the venom being the primary villain in SM4
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-04, 00:14

Hit the return key every now and then.
Maybe I'll read it sometime.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-04, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Hit the return key every now and then.
Maybe I'll read it sometime.
Oh shut up.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-04, 02:11

Wrao, I don't know about the Lizard character. He's obviously a major foe, but the studio will probably hold off until they can create CG lizard-men that don't make us giggle.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-04, 06:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Wrao, I don't know about the Lizard character. He's obviously a major foe, but the studio will probably hold off until they can create CG lizard-men that don't make us giggle.
That's true, but Spider-man 3 won't be out for a while*, and CG just keeps getting better. Either way, I like how they introduced the character early, even if he doesn't end up becoming a villain till SM4.

Speaking of CG, that scene when Spidey was in the elevator with that random guy, was that a CG Spider-man? I thought it looked pretty fake, but I don't really see WHY they'd make it CG since he was just standing there, but the gloss on his suit seemed kind of unnatural, as did his posture and pretty much his whole presence.

*From what I understand they either just started filming, or they don't start till next month or so
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-04, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao

Speaking of CG, that scene when Spidey was in the elevator with that random guy, was that a CG Spider-man? I thought it looked pretty fake, but I don't really see WHY they'd make it CG since he was just standing there, but the gloss on his suit seemed kind of unnatural, as did his posture and pretty much his whole presence.
I think that scene may have been filmed against a green screen, so the characters may have popped out a little bit. I'll pay more attention the next time I see it, which will probably be mid-week or so.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 13:10

Just got back from an 11:30am matinee (why parents a) take little 1-3 year-old-kids to movies and b) DON'T control them is REALLY getting to be a problem...jeez) and I still enjoyed it. Will probably never see it again (only saw the first Spider-Man once), but it was still enjoyable.

Idiot Commentator Man sitting behind me with his giggle monster girlfriend, but other than that a-hole and the two talking/screaming toddlers, it was enjoyable.

1. SHUT THE FUCK UP WHEN YOU'RE IN A MOVIE...ADULTS SHOULD KNOW THIS (I think I'm just going to start going against my instincts and just start throwing down with these guys...either the ass-whipping OR night in jail (and pending assault charge) might exorcise this silly notion from me that you should be quiet when you're in a movie theater, and you don't have to repeat dialog, "improve" upon it, talk to the characters, provide running commentary, etc.

2. IF YOUR KIDS INSIST ON ACTING LIKE LITTLE DEMONS, EXHIBIT SOME CONSIDERATION FOR THOSE AROUND YOU TAKE THEM OUT TO THE LOBBY UNTIL YOU CAN GET A HANDLE ON THEM. Becomes all too clear why you couldn't find a babysitter for the mouthy, disobedient little towheads.

Thanks, jackballs...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-04 at 13:15.
Willoughby

2004-07-04, 13:19

SPOILERS....

I don't see how Venom could be the next bad guy when the only mention of Eddie Brock was in the first film but they snuck 3 references to other bad guys in this film.....Green Goblin II, Wolf-Man and The Lizard. I think it's pretty obvious that GGII is going to appear in the next movie but I'm guessing it will be with The Lizard since they put a lot of emphasis on Doc Conners and his 1 arm.

I think seeing Venom in the next movie is a just a fanboy dream and isn't going to happen.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2004-07-04, 17:16

I here ya pscates. I probably have seen about 90% of the first run movies I watch at the drive-in just because I know what a pain in the butt my four and two year old kiddo's can be.

I wish there were more drive-in's. They are still a pretty good way to see a movie. We don't have many here in California any more.

Nick
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 17:39

Just found out about one still in existence, about 30 miles north of Chattanooga. Went there just last weekend, with my mom, stepdad, aunt, uncle and grandpa. We saw "Dodgeball" and "White Chicks", no less.

But you know what...it was AWESOME. It was a cool night, we backed two pick-ups (no jokes, moogs) up, hand those nice cozy lawn chairs (sit low, lean back), cooler of drinks, etc. and didn't have to fool with that static-y speaker...everyone just tunes their radios to a certain FM frequency, and you hear the movie in as good a quality (bass, clarity, etc.) as you'd hear any music you'd play in your car.

Cool night, stars out, everyone was friendly, great concession stand, mellow crowd, everyone was laughing, etc.

Yeah, I thought - all the way back home - "it's a shame there isn't one of these closer to the city...hmm".

I thought it was awesome, and will be going back ASAP. They actually play first-run stuff too ("Spider-Man 2" is playing there right now!), so other than the drive, it's the coolest place to see one, IMO.

AND, get this: on Friday and Saturday nights, it's double-feature: $5 per person, for BOTH movies.

So let's add it up: you're not sitting directly near some mouthy asshole, you see TWO movies for cheaper than you can at any multiplex in town, you can bring your own food and drink, VERY affordable concession area (if you don't bring your own stuff) and just the overall wonderful vibe of being outside on a summer night, up in the mountains and out in the country.

Best five hours I've had in a while...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 20:29

I finally remembered to track down that song that is so nice in the movie (it's the one that plays when he getting ready to go see MJ's play). It's by Jet, called "Hold On".

Know the one I'm talking about? Really gorgeous song, nothing like that obnoxious one from the iPod commercial. I love the way it opens.

However, on iTMS - where it's on the Spider-Man 2 soundtrack - you can't buy just that song. You get it only with the full album purchase. WTF?

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-04, 23:04

I'm still waiting for the actual score to be released on CD. I don't want just the Doc Ock and Spidey Suites...