User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Predictions for October 20 special event?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Predictions for October 20 special event?
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 10:22

In case you haven't heard (it just happened in the last few minutes), Apple has sent out invites to an October 20 (a week from today!) special event focused on the Mac. The cat in the picture is a Lion, so I'm pretty sure we're getting a look at OS X 10.7 Lion.

What else should be happening? I'm not aware of any major Mac hardware rumors aside from the updated MacBook Air. If there's hardware beyond that, they're keeping it seriously under wraps.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 10:31

That's exciting. Thanks for breaking the news.

10.7 info would be cool. This will be Apple's chance to prove to the developers that they haven't given up on OS X but have created ways to fully integrate OS X and iOS.

Also, iLife/iWork '11 for sure.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 10:33

iLife '11 and iWork '11? They could probably update the entire MacBook line at once — a redesign for the MBA and speed bumps for the MB and MBP. I mean, it has been six months.

I like the invite. "Lion" sounds like a big update.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-13, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
iLife '11 and iWork '11? They could probably update the entire MacBook line at once — a redesign for the MBA and speed bumps for the MB and MBP. I mean, it has been six months.

I like the invite. "Lion" sounds like a big update.
What Robo says! He's the resident tea leaf reader in these parts, AFAICT.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-13, 10:48

How exciting!

Do we even have the slightest idea what new stuff the Lion brings us? I can't really think of anything I'm missing in Snow Leopard.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-13, 10:49

I'm reminded of a thread we had here several ages ago speculating on what the next big cat was. I think it was also mentioned that lion had to be the last in the series because, well, it's tough to top a lion.

Not that this should be taken as a gospel (though some doofus out there may as well do it anyway), just thinking about it gave me a chuckle.

I wonder what updates they will talk about.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
How exciting!

Do we even have the slightest idea what new stuff the Lion brings us? I can't really think of anything I'm missing in Snow Leopard.
I would love if iTunes become a dedicated music player and was shorn of its catchall "let's see how much shit we can shove in a single app" instead of the bloated abortion it currently is...but this is wishful thinking and probably never going to happen. I wouldn't mind a tabbed Finder...but don't know how useful it would be in practice.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick

Wrao
Yarp

2010-10-13, 10:55

Well, this is exciting. It's been getting harder and harder for me to 'like' Apple for how much they have obsessed themselves with mobile "i" devices and services.

My thoughts: 10.7 announcement and feature preview. and iLife. possibly a Macbook Air update. Other Macbook updates will happen soon enough, but not at the event.

It's tough to say when Lion could be released though. Apple tends to release major updates every two years, but with Snow Leopard it wasn't really a major update in the traditional sense, and also, two previous OS updates(Panther and Leopard) were released in late October. But it seems unlikely they would release it without a preview, so perhaps an early summer release would be more likely.

Last edited by Wrao : 2010-10-13 at 11:06.

Wrao
Yarp

2010-10-13, 11:00

Quote:
How exciting!

Many of pathfinders features would be welcome additions to Lion's Finder(tabbed finder, copy and paste, better folder management). I would hope for a revised Exposé again as well. It's been over a year of using 'new' Exposé for me and I still hate it. I think some work needs to be done with the quick view on the dock, especially insofar as scrolling and dragging is concerned.

Also, fixing the compatibility problems that Snow Leopard created with a host of software, including some of Apple's own software would be nice.

Partial
Stallion

2010-10-13, 11:09

- Cloud-Time Machine Integration
- Facetime integration into iChat
- Safari 6 with GPU acceleration

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I'm reminded of a thread we had here several ages ago speculating on what the next big cat was. I think it was also mentioned that lion had to be the last in the series because, well, it's tough to top a lion.

Not that this should be taken as a gospel (though some doofus out there may as well do it anyway), just thinking about it gave me a chuckle.
"Lion" makes sense for 10.7 to keep the "L" alliteration from Leopard. "Ocelot" makes sense for 10.8 because of the oc- prefix meaning "eight" (octet, octagon, ocho). As for the final, "legacy" release of OS X, I vote "Sabretooth."

Quote:
How exciting!

An App Store for OS X might be nice. Not as the only way to install Mac apps, but as an option? It'd be easy and convenient — put in your payment deals once, buy with 1-Click, &c.

A special touch interface wouldn't surprise me.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
- Facetime integration into iChat
I think this is a given. I wouldn't even be surprised to see iChat rebrand to FaceTime.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-10-13, 11:12

The only thing I really want from Mac OS X right now is a media player that doesn't get bogged down from handling my iDevices. Split iTunes into two separate Cocoa programs: iTunes and iSync. All the syncing crap should be in it's own damn app.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-13, 11:15

Quote:
"Lion" makes sense for 10.7 to keep the "L" alliteration from Leopard. "Ocelot" makes sense for 10.8 because of the oc- prefix meaning "eight" (octet, octagon, ocho). As for the final, "legacy" release of OS X, I vote "Sabretooth."
Interesting thought. Would have never occurred to me that ocelot would go well with 8.

Of course, there's always the Top Cat for the last release of the X series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I think this is a given. I wouldn't even be surprised to see iChat rebrand to FaceTime.
Just thinking about the name makes me queasy.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-10-13, 11:28

Liger for os 10.9..."It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic."

And who doesn't want a kick ass magical os running your computer?

Gavin

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Wrao
Yarp

2010-10-13, 11:29

Another nice addition/tweak/revision for Lion would be improved handling of point tracking speeds and acceleration. I like it a lot with a trackpad, but with a mouse I find it to be pretty awkward.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-13, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Split iTunes into two separate Cocoa programs: iTunes and iSync. All the syncing crap should be in it's own damn app.
It was that way until 2004-ish. There was even a separate iPod Firmware Updater (though, suckily, it got delivered through Software Update, so you had tons of iPod Firmware Updater apps in your Utilities folder even if you had not a single iPod).

Worth pondering is the iPod touch approach: separate Music, Videos, iTunes (Store), App Store, etc. apps.

ironlung

2010-10-13, 12:17

Can't tolerate itunes anymore. What a mess and really un-apple like. I guess it portrays the neglect they've shown OS X as a whole. They keep tacking stuff onto itunes just to make iOS work rather than looking for harmony in software that they used to. Anyway sorry for the rant.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It was that way until 2004-ish. There was even a separate iPod Firmware Updater (though, suckily, it got delivered through Software Update, so you had tons of iPod Firmware Updater apps in your Utilities folder even if you had not a single iPod).

Worth pondering is the iPod touch approach: separate Music, Videos, iTunes (Store), App Store, etc. apps.
I wouldn't mind it all being in one app if it could somehow magically also be really lightweight. But iTunes 10 is positively voracious with system resources. They really should give it the Snow Leopard treatment and focus on performance and under-the-hood stuff with the next release. The last thing iTunes needs is more features.

It's hard, because having a bunch of different apps for music, movies, the iTunes Store, the App Store, the iBookstore and syncing does seem cumbersome. I think they can keep it all in one app and make it better? Maybe?

Maybe they could let people browse the Stores through Safari. Then you could download stuff without opening iTunes, and iTunes wouldn't need its own browser...?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-10-13, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Another nice addition/tweak/revision for Lion would be improved handling of point tracking speeds and acceleration. I like it a lot with a trackpad, but with a mouse I find it to be pretty awkward.
I've found this to be largely the fault of the mouse. Some mice behave well with osx's acceleration curves but some don't. Of course, exposing more customizability in the os would help, but we all now how Apple feels about giving users options.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 12:42

Quote:
I wouldn't mind it all being in one app if it could somehow magically also be really lightweight. But iTunes 10 is positively voracious with system resources. They really should give it the Snow Leopard treatment and focus on performance and under-the-hood stuff with the next release. The last thing iTunes needs is more features.

It's hard, because having a bunch of different apps for music, movies, the iTunes Store, the App Store, the iBookstore and syncing does seem cumbersome. I think they can keep it all in one app and make it better? Maybe?

Maybe they could let people browse the Stores through Safari. Then you could download stuff without opening iTunes, and iTunes wouldn't need its own browser...?
I agree with Robo. Having to open a different app for each and every aspect of dealing with my iPad, iPod or iPhone would be more annoying than what we have now.

And I like the idea of being able to shop the store via a standard web browser.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-13, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I would love if iTunes become a dedicated music player and was shorn of its catchall "let's see how much shit we can shove in a single app" instead of the bloated abortion it currently is...but this is wishful thinking and probably never going to happen. I wouldn't mind a tabbed Finder...but don't know how useful it would be in practice.
Yes, that would be nice. And I've also noticed that iPhoto starts up when I connect my iPhone and if I disable it, iPhoto won't launch when I plug in my camera. So some sort of dedicated gadget manger to sort such things out would be nice. If Apple feels like keeping the Trojan horse approach on Windows, I don't mind. But it's really not necessary on the Mac.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-10-13, 12:51

Quote:
A special touch interface wouldn't surprise me.
Bingo. Certainly a push right now towards multi-touch on touch interfaces.
Which is only a short hop away from putting it on screens.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-13, 12:51

Hmm, the top two corners of aluminum in the invitation are beveled while the bottom two are 90 degrees. Are we looking at the top view of the new MBA?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-13, 12:53

Quote:
Yes, that would be nice. And I've also noticed that iPhoto starts up when I connect my iPhone and if I disable it, iPhoto won't launch when I plug in my camera.
You're welcome.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Hmm, the top two corners of aluminum in the invitation are beveled while the bottom two are 90 degrees. Are we looking at the top view of the new MBA?
All Apple invites are like that because the event details (that we never see) continue below the invite. We just don't get to see the rounded border along the bottom edge.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Bingo. Certainly a push right now towards multi-touch on touch interfaces.
Which is only a short hop away from putting it on screens.
I'm thinking something like Front Row or Dashboard...the regular interface fades into the background, and you're in Touch Mode. Apple would give it a punny name, of course. Coupled with that multi-touch collapsing iMac, it could be pretty cool.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-10-13, 13:34

Git you some Lion, foo!

Also Apple is set to announce re-refreshed Mac Pros with extra RAM slots and a $500 price reduction across teh board! *sarcasm*

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 13:40

Resolution independence maybe?

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-13, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Thanks a bunch, chucker! It never struck me that someone might buid a program for that.