User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone available on multiple carriers in the U.S.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone available on multiple carriers in the U.S.
ronmexico

2008-07-02, 08:13

A story broke today in the Washington Post about how the iPhone, for a fee, will be available to multiple carriers. I find this to be refreshing news. I was curious what others felt about this development...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 08:16

The fact that there's no contract doesn't necessarily mean it'll be able to be used on other carriers.

The only thing it really guarantees is that you can use AT&T's pre-paid service, Go Phone. It doesn't guarantee you can use it on T-Mobile, though. I'm sure it's still network-locked to AT&T.

[edit] Re-reading the article, I see the post explicitly states it will work on other carriers. Here's the problem I have, though: Nobody else is saying that, at all. Unless I see an AT&T press release that says otherwise, I'm going to assume it's carrier-locked.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-07-02, 08:17

The juicy bits in case the Post's URL changes:
Quote:
AT&T yesterday announced that it will offer the smartphone to people who want to use another carrier, starting at $599.

The iPhone 3G, scheduled for a July 11 release, will be available for $199 to new AT&T customers or existing customers eligible for an upgrade -- under a two-year contract. The larger-capacity 16-gigabyte model will cost $299 under the same conditions.

For those looking to use another carrier, the 16-gigabyte version will cost $699.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 09:16

That could just mean another carrier in another country though. There are a lot of tourists that shop my local AT&T and Apple stores and buy things to take back home, weak dollar and all.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
That could just mean another carrier in another country though. There are a lot of tourists that shop my local AT&T and Apple stores and buy things to take back home, weak dollar and all.
If that would work, then it would work on T-Mobile in the States as well. A phone is either locked or it isn't.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
If that would work, then it would work on T-Mobile in the States as well. A phone is either locked or it isn't.
I assume it'd still require activation of some sort somewhere regardless of what SIM card went in.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Doesn't T-Mobile use different frequencies for their 3G service though?
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 11:21

I read an article on MSNBC yesterday that talked about this announcement, but that article explicitly stated that the phone would still be locked to AT&T.
Enki

2008-07-02, 12:24

Yes. ATT will activate the phone on their network as a month-to-month plan, just no long term contract. All would be fine leaving after the first month until there is a software update which would require re-activation. Like the current phone if bought and not activated. Only more expensive.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-02, 13:35

Forget all the tech stuff. Who in the hell would spend $699 on a phone?

Suddenly I don't feel quite so bad about spending $499...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-02, 13:45

It's actually cheaper to buy a subsidized phone and cancel the contract than it is to buy the unlocked version.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Doesn't T-Mobile use different frequencies for their 3G service though?
iPhone 3G is triband, it runs on 850 / 1900 / 2100

T-Mobile operates on 1900 Mhz, so the iPhone is compatible with the T-Mobile network.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
iPhone 3G is triband, it runs on 850 / 1900 / 2100

T-Mobile operates on 1900 Mhz, so the iPhone is compatible with the T-Mobile network.
But not their 3G service. That runs on 1700Mhz AFAIK.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-07-02, 23:02

I don't understand how the iPhone includes $400 worth of hardware more than the iPod touch...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-03, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
I don't understand how the iPhone includes $400 worth of hardware more than the iPod touch...
The iPhone contains a speaker, earphone, volume & vibrate switches, extra detectors to shut off screen when holding phone to head, radio circuitry, cellular antenna, and GPS receiver. That's all I can think of and I have no idea how much it costs, but there's definitely more varied hardware in an iPhone compared to an iTouch. Probably why the iTouch has enough space for twice the max GB compared to the iPhone.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
The iPhone contains a speaker, earphone, volume & vibrate switches, extra detectors to shut off screen when holding phone to head, radio circuitry, cellular antenna, and GPS receiver. That's all I can think of and I have no idea how much it costs, but there's definitely more varied hardware in an iPhone compared to an iTouch. Probably why the iTouch has enough space for twice the max GB compared to the iPhone.
According to iSuppli, the iPhone only costs about $20 more to manufacture. Obviously, there's added R&D, but I'm guessing it isn't $380 worth.

iPod touch, $155
iPhone 3G, $177

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-03, 12:11

Oh, I never tried to justify $400. If cellular radio equipment were that expensive, every cellphone would cost huge money. Of course I never thought it would only be $20 in parts either though.