User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple sues ThinkSecret... (Merged w/ Ethics (split))

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple sues ThinkSecret... (Merged w/ Ethics (split))
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 14:15

From MacMinute:

Quote:
Apple sues ThinkSecret; Product rumors confirmed?

January 5 - 14:04 EST In its latest lawsuit to prevent product leaks, Apple has sued the publisher of Mac rumor site Think Secret and other unnamed individuals, alleging that recent reports on the site contain Apple trade secrets. CNET News.com is reporting that in the suit, which was filed Tuesday in the Superior Court of Santa Clara County, Calif., Apple identifies specific articles, indicating that at least parts of those reports ("headless iMac" and "iWork") are true. "Apple has filed a civil complaint against the owner of ThinkSecret.com and unnamed individuals who we believe stole Apple's trade secrets," Apple said in a statement. "We believe that Think Secret solicited information about unreleased Apple products from these individuals, who violated their confidentiality agreements with Apple by providing details that were later posted on the Internet."
No need to go out on a limb in predicting what may come down the MWSF pike when something like this happens.

But at the same time, what are the chances we'll be seeing anymore pre-MWSF leaks? And is there anymore information to leak?
Akumulator

2005-01-05, 14:21

$500 mac/iWork....CONFIRMED!!!

Sucks for what's his name at Think Secret... but did he really do anything wrong?
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2005-01-05, 14:26

Does this mean someone needs to add "Confirmed" to the thread title in Speculation & Rumors?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 14:28

MacMinute is reporting that Apple has filed suit against TS for the Headless Mac/iWork stories.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-05, 14:36

CONFIRMINATED!!! CONFIRMINOSITY!!!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-05, 14:39

I started a thread a long time ago talking about how ThinkSecret was unethical. Looks like Apple thinks so too. I got shot down pretty hardcore for it, but that's because these are the people that love Mac rumors (and I'm one of them, but I was just pointing out the chink in the chain.

We love our rumors, but we neglect to remember where and how we get them.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-05, 14:53

Nick De Plume
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-05, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I started a thread a long time ago talking about how ThinkSecret was unethical. Looks like Apple thinks so too. I got shot down pretty hardcore for it, but that's because these are the people that love Mac rumors (and I'm one of them, but I was just pointing out the chink in the chain.

We love our rumors, but we neglect to remember where and how we get them.
please consult other said thread for ass-ripping that you request.

Unethical? my god. don't belittle the real things in life that are unethical by saying a frickin rumor site for a computer company is.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-01-05, 15:15

One really has to wonder at this point if Apple is actually pissed about the leak, or wether these legal maneuvers are designed to market and build up the hype for the MWSF product expo. If Apple had ignored these rumors the only people to hear about them would have been a couple thousand mac freaks, certainly no mainstream coverage like this story is getting now.

The future is tomorrow!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-05, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
please consult other said thread for ass-ripping that you request.

Unethical? my god. don't belittle the real things in life that are unethical by saying a frickin rumor site for a computer company is.
Did you read my entire post? The only reason I bring it up is because now, ThinkSecret is being sued by Apple.
Quagmire
meh

2005-01-05, 15:18

Apple will probably sue Nick for enough money that he can't keep TS up and running. Hopefully that doesn't happen though.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-01-05, 15:18

This leads me to only one conclusion: There is something bigger in the works than the LC Redux, Asteroid, iWork, and iLife 05.

Something so big that Apple is doing anything in its power, including confirming massive rumors, to conceal.

Time will tell.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-05, 15:27

This is insane now. The build up to this one is outrageous, more than many past events.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-01-05, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
This leads me to only one conclusion: There is something bigger in the works than the LC Redux, Asteroid, iWork, and iLife 05.

Something so big that Apple is doing anything in its power, including confirming massive rumors, to conceal.

Time will tell.

orrrrrrr

Apple was planning on highlighting their current status, Tiger, and introducing iLife '05 (with asteroid mentioned for GB2) and iWork '05 and then saying there is one more thing..... a new $499 Macintosh that runs everything you have just seen.

I wouldn't expect the impossible. That right there already makes for a very nice start to the new year. The only thing missing is the iPod flash, and frankly, I don't believe that to ever have been true. Apple will wait for larger 1 inch hard drives and make the current 4GB cheaper. Just today Hitachi said they will reach 10GB in the 2nd half
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-01-05, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Did you read my entire post? The only reason I bring it up is because now, ThinkSecret is being sued by Apple.
they are being sued because they are accurate and leaking info about future Apple products. Not because they are "unethical". And honestly, I don't know how much Apple can do to convict them in court, although they are probably just hoping to kill him in legal fees
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 15:32

M'tosh, it's a matter of using proper terminology.

A serial killer is unethical. A rumor site is illegal.

It's like calling the police 'Nazis' for pulling you over for speeding, a misuse of a word that only serves to dilute the word until it is meaningless.
¡Damned!

2005-01-05, 15:34

When rumor sites are criminalized, only criminals will read rumor sites.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-01-05, 15:38

I've always wondered if "Nick de Plume" actually worked at Apple. I guess that would be pretty difficult to pull off after all these years but his information is surprisingly accurate on a wide range of products and topics and he is always very carefully worded. Even as other sources have come and gone and been sued, he has stayed consistent. Not sure how he has such good reliable sources that know so much about seemingly every aspect of Apple.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-05, 15:39

I agree. The things the 'nut mentions makes for a pretty nice keynote. I don't think this points to some "OMG...G5 Cube with bundled iPhone!"
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-01-05, 15:39

Yeah, I get it. This is going to be one kick ass Stevenote, but think about it this way...

6 Days out Apple files suit. They couldn't wait 6 days to go after Think Secret? If Apple worried about rumor sites stealing the buzz, they just destroyed it. Why would Apple steal it's own thunder? The suit brings in so much more attention to the products than TS could have ever hoped to. This is going to be picked up on pretty much every business show. So, we now have confirmed by Apple the iLC, iWork, ect. The only thing that Apple didn't go after TS for was the iPod Flash.

The questions remains... why? My bet is to scare the shit out of anyone even thinking of letting the BIG thing out. Now, maybe the big thing is the design of the iLC. I could buy that. Apple doesn't just go willy nilly around confirming massive market initiatives like this.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-05, 15:41

Nick de Plume is...Phil Schiller.

grouse

2005-01-05, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
One really has to wonder at this point if Apple is actually pissed about the leak, or wether these legal maneuvers are designed to market and build up the hype for the MWSF product expo. If Apple had ignored these rumors the only people to hear about them would have been a couple thousand mac freaks, certainly no mainstream coverage like this story is getting now.
But here is the problem, not sure about the situation in the states, but in all the major broadsheet papers in the UK, indy, guardian, telegraph, the story from Think Secret was pretty much reported as a press release, it even featured in the Guardian's jokey Pass Notes, "what's Q88?". I can imagine Mr control Freek Jobs doing his nut, all this in the same week that the UK finally introduces freedom of information laws.... Everyone in business has to calm down. Really Steve, is it just a matter of who knows what about whom, or about who can DO it. You have your patents, you have industrial design protection, you have Jonathan Ive. Sure, regarding the iPod you stole a march, but a computer without a monitor and an office productivity suite....? It's not quantum mechanics is it?

We should definitely start a campaign to support Nick. This site is never sensational, always informative and does nothing to harm, and much to help and enhance the Apple brand.

Please be undersigned, this is corporate bullying the like of which we like to slap MS for.

James Sparling
" I leaked the rumor it wasn't Nick, I told him in confidence, same with Asteriod, my email is grouse@mac.com"
shatteringglass

2005-01-05, 15:45

Without the rumors, all these new products are already an amazing line-up for any keynote. Not that I mind these rumors, but it kind of desensitizes you to these new Expo products, making you want something bigger, better, resulting in a "disappointing" keynote that everyone, who read the rumors expecting something even better - like a video iPod, will then bitch about.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-01-05, 15:46

Bear in mind they're not primarily suing for an money — they're suing for an injunction (or possibly a subpoena — the reporting is a bit vague) to force Think Secret to reveal its sources. If all they're after is really a subpoena, which is pretty standard civil lit practice, the likely cost to TS is low, unless they violate the court order and are convicted of contempt, or they decide to fight it really hard.

Obviously this will cost money in legal fees, but the intent is not apparently to sue them out of existence (you'd expect wider ambit claims if that were the case, surely?)

I'm sure it will discourage the rumour sites tho'
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2005-01-05, 15:49

I don't think there's anything more than what TS revealed (what, a $499/$599 headless iMac and an Apple productivity suite aren't enough for you?).

And it was already too late, well before Apple's law suit -- news of the miniMac has already seeped into the mainstream media. It's one of the top ten Reuters Technology headlines, for crissakes.

I just think Steve is incredibly pissed at the informant, and has instructed Apple Legal to make an effort to reveal T.S.'s sources (i.e., destroy their reason for existence) -- and silence others by intimidation.
shatteringglass

2005-01-05, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse
Please be undersigned, this is corporate bullying the like of which we like to slap MS for.
No.........

They're only protecting what is rightly theirs. Trade secrets, not information for the public domain, at least not until next Tuesday.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-01-05, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Bear in mind they're not primarily suing for an money — they're suing for an injunction (or possibly a subpoena — the reporting is a bit vague) to force Think Secret to reveal its sources. If all they're after is really a subpoena, which is pretty standard civil lit practice, the likely cost to TS is low, unless they violate the court order and are convicted of contempt, or they decide to fight it really hard.

Obviously this will cost money in legal fees, but the intent is not apparently to sue them out of existence (you'd expect wider ambit claims if that were the case, surely?)

I'm sure it will discourage the rumour sites tho'
no, they are suing thinksecret for damages as well
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 16:30

I hope Nick has invested some of the money his site has made into an Apple Legal Warchest.
trans3062

2005-01-05, 16:34

I'm starting to think that Apple planned to have the headless iMac ready for MWSF but ran into difficulties and wished to delay the announcement. Someone spread the word to TS and now everyone is hyped up for this thing and Apple cannot deliver.

Apple thinks it will look bad when thousands post on forums like this about how they have already sat aside the cash to buy one and all Jobs can announce is that the powerbooks are being bumped a couple of megahertz.

Take the hint Jobs and give us what we want.

I for one love all the rumors. It gets me excited about what may come out. I need to buy a new PowerMac but will not buy one until the next rev. We all know the exact number of days it has been since the last upgrade to the products we want to buy.

Apple, control your employees and leave TS alone.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-05, 16:34

Since when have laws followed ethics, or vice versa? Gawd, it's like that other thread all over again.