Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help me with a tattoo design!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me with a tattoo design!
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-05-22, 22:32

I have wanted to get a tattoo for quite a few years now and have finally decided to get one in the next month or so. My biggest problem is getting the design i like. I am living a long way away from any tattoo places so it makes going in to the tattoo place very hard. What i would like to do is take a design i like in and talk to them about it, then go back a second time and get it done.

But heres the problem, the tattoo i want would be fairly unique in terms of where it is on my body. I want it to go the full length of my stomach, from hip to hip.

So in this picture, i want it to go from hip to hip below the belly button. I am after a Phoenix tattoo, and i want the wings to stretch out around the hips, and the body and head to be below the belly button. Hopefully i'm explaining this ok.

The pictures i have found online aren't really what i am after because of how i want it and where it's going to be situated, so i was hoping you guys and girls might be able to help out. I know a lot of people here are pretty creative so i was hoping this might be a good place to start. So if anyones feeling creative and would be able to help me out at all i would be very grateful. Of course if i use the design i'll be happy to pay for it.

Thanks!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-22, 23:13

First - nice pecs.

Next, what about something adapted from the old Queen logo? (the top half obviously) Could this be altered somehow - or perhaps used as a starting point?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
autodata
hustlin

2007-05-22, 23:36

This is a rough sketch of what I would suggest for someone who doesn't have a solid idea of what he or she wants:

Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-05-23, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata View Post
This is a rough sketch of what I would suggest for someone who doesn't have a solid idea of what he or she wants:

Well I'm not sure what counts as a solid idea for you, but as i said before, i am after a Phoenix tattoo (non-tribal) that goes from hip to hip underneath my belly button area. The closest i could find online that is similar to what I'm after is this one:

Although i would like the wings to be up the other way.

I haven't got access to anyone that can help me other than online so i thought i would start here. Hopefully this appeases you somewhat autodata.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-05-23, 11:49

I think what autodata means is

"Tattoos are retarded."
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post

"Tattoos are retarded."
I would have said "tattoos are ***" and then I would have been attacked by all those "tolerant" folks. I'm curious to see how this plays out.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-05-23, 16:18

Get "I'll regret this so fucking much when I'm 50!"
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-05-23, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I would have said "tattoos are ***" and then I would have been attacked by all those "tolerant" folks. I'm curious to see how this plays out.
If you really feel that way, you should have waited a bit to say it. Now you've tainted the natural reactions of people.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 17:18

PS: Have you had boob implants?
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2007-05-23, 17:22

Quote:

"Tattoos are retarded."
I think he means "Don't get something permanently inked onto your skin until you are 100% sure of what you want" which would be the viewpoint I would take as well.

It sounds like Phoenix does know what he wants, just cannot find an image to represent what he has in mind.

...and pecs are cool
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
If you really feel that way, you should have waited a bit to say it. Now you've tainted the natural reactions of people.
Yeah! That crossed my mind. But…
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-23, 17:37

Jesus people, if you don't like tattoos then don't post in the "help with my tattoo" threads. Pretty simple.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Jesus people, if you don't like tattoos then don't post in the "help with my tattoo" threads. Pretty simple.
We are helping with his tattoo - don't have one is the greatest tip we can offer. Of five people I know who have said "I am going to have a tattoo" all 5 have had then done about a day after a load of people saying that it is stupid. I highly doubt we would have an impact anyhow.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-23, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Nice as is!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Good point. I'm outta here.

Oh, and get a Battleship, like Bluto!
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-05-23, 20:59

Wow i didn't think this would be the reaction i would get. There is a reason for the tattoo, and it's something that's very personal and means heaps to me. It's something i've wanted to get for some time now and i have finally got the money. This isn't something i've just thought about over the last few weeks and thought "yeah that'd be funky". It actually means a lot to me.

adambrennan is right. I can picture it in my mind, but can't get it down on paper to give to the tattoo artist.

I'm in a bad situation where i am living so it's really hard for me to get someone to help. Obviously that help isn't here either. Thanks anyway.
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-23, 21:04

Hey, I've got a few tattoos, and I really like them.

Have you visited any tattoo artists yet? Most of them are more than willing to sketch out a few designs with you, and many will have a giant catalogue of sketches and photos from their past work.

Don't let these guys change your mind. I'm sure you'll be happy.

You had me at asl
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-23, 21:05

Phoenix - Don't give up. Are there any graphic design firms near where you live? What about paying them to do an iteration of your design as you describe it? Or, if you work for a company, ask who designed their logo and see if that leads to any connections you can make.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
¡Damned!

2007-05-23, 21:57

All you pussy needle-'fraidey-cats can fuck off.

trav, will this be a full color inking or just black? And if it's just black are you going with linework only or are you incorporating some shading? I ask only because it makes a hell of a difference in designing a good piece.

That said, the placement and the sheer size you're looking for gives me pause. Now, I've got a bunch of ink and will get more, and 90% of my friends have ink ranging from discrete limb-bands to full on body coverage, so I know how people feel about these things after they've lived with them with them for 20 years or so. There's not one, including myself, that hasn't at one time or another expressed some level of regret (however fleeting) as to design, placement or size.

Honestly, if you're set on a pheonix design, I'd consider a back piece going from shoulder to shoulder. The abdomen just doesn't seem (to me) like it will accomodate such a broad design. Remember, you've got to add fire and/or a pyre at the base, and getting your balls needled is not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Nice as is!

You're incorrigible.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2007-05-23 at 22:02. Reason: Posts merged. :aaargh:
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-23, 22:03

Quote:

Um...btw... nice tan line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
You're incorrigible.

Says the pot to the kettle.

haha

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-05-23 at 22:12. Reason: Posts merged
¡Damned!

2007-05-23, 22:06

Heh. Touché.
autodata
hustlin

2007-05-23, 22:29

Quote:

"Tattoos are retarded."
Well, I didn't mean quite that. I actually like good tattoos a lot. The problem is that actual execution of the design is just as important as the idea. Too frequently people focus on one over the other rather than the complete whole, and these people tend to be the ones who either regret it or should regret it(as in it tends not to turn out well).

Really, most tattoo artists are not very good, but they stay in business because there are enough people out there with bad taste, a group which, IMO, includes those who are just impulsive or too lazy to seek out someone good). Therefore, though, I would venture to say that most tattoos, as in number in the wild, are retarded.
¡Damned!

2007-05-23, 22:48

^^^

Read and heed. Excellent post, autodata.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-23, 22:48

I love the work that woman on "Miami Ink" does. Kat something or other. She does black-and-white photorealistic stuff - lots of portraits and the like - and it's just beautiful.

It's good you're taking some time, and wanting to get it right. Isn't like a weird haircut or piercing...you're kinda stuck with it forever, so don't be like some liquored-up sorority twit and get something that sounded good in a drunken stupor at 2:00am (the oh-so original - and, by now, complete meaningless - "tribal butterfly above the butt crack" thing or whatever). Yawwwnnnnn...

If I never see another lame-o tattoo on someone who looks like they have no idea why they got it (or, worse, got it for all the wrong, stupid reasons), I'll be just fine (woman with the standard-issue dolphin-on-ankle/butterfly-on-lower-back shit actually turn me off; but a woman ballsy, independent and rocking enough to get a full-on sleeve or something on her neck - for the entire world to see, like it or not - jumps up an extra 15 points in my book, and I'll probably develop a paralyzing crush on her, if history is any indication).

Get some local artist or designer to work out a few comps maybe? Or the person at the studio who's going to do it. Talk with them and see what the two of you can come up with?
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-05-23, 23:01

Ok thanks for the support everyone. I understand where you're coming from autodata i really do. I thought explaining why i am getting it might put it in some perspective for everyone.

A few years ago i was in a bad accident and ended up having my stomach cut open from hip to hip (among other places). At the time i was trying to pursue a career as a professional australian football player. This pretty much ruined my chances, as you have to get drafted around 18 years old to have a shot.
Now it's a few years down the track and my scars have healed nicely, and my football is back on track. In a few weeks I am going to play with a football side that is semi professional and i have an opportunity to at least get part of the way i wanted a few years ago.

Some of the reasons for the tattoo are, now that the scars are healing and disappearing, i want to remember that whole time with a tattoo to remind myself of how hard it was. Because the scar is below the pant line, not many people will get a chance to see it except those close to me. Also as a kid i was fascinated with the Phoenix. I nicknamed all of my pets that and wanted to change my name as well. So it seams very appropriate with what happened that that's how i remember it all.

So getting the tat actually means a lot to me. Unfortunately I'm on a mine site camp until i go to the footy side so it's near impossible to get any help outside of the net. There's a good artist in the place i am going to so I'd like to be able to go to him with the design and get it done. But i have to get the tat before i start training, because i can't take any time off from footy once I'm there. So my window is only about a month. If i can't get it done it's fine, but it's really my only chance for some time and it means heaps that i get it done before i start at the new place.

So again thanks for the help. I'm asking around where i am to see if anyone can at least draw a little bit and get my thoughts on paper. But other than that i might be stuck. If anyone knows of any other places on the net that might be good to ask I'm all ears. Thanks!

Oh and BTW they aren't my pecs. Sorry to disappoint!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-24, 12:30

Quote:
Oh and BTW they aren't my pecs. Sorry to disappoint!
WHAT???

Oh, maaaaaan...

*sniff*

So sorry to hear about that accident, Phoenix. But *very* glad to hear that you have recovered so nicely.

Just my opinion, but since you have such a rushed time frame, maybe that's a sign that you should forego the procedure for now. No point in rushing into something, when you can still accomplish your goal later, when the time available is more suitable.

I have absolutely nothing against body modifications per se; but I 'do' know that someone on this very board had a friend 'die' from a single body piercing. With that flesh-eating bacteria around, I just can't see taking unnecessary chances with invasive procedures. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but sometimes caution is the better part of valor.

I mean, we may live in modern times and feel invulnerable to infectious disease; but just a few days ago, officials in Denver reported numerous animal deaths from *bubonic plague* at the city zoo and surrounding park.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-24, 12:36

Phoenix, for the love of any/all deities. Don't get an anime-fury tatoo like that thing on the picture. You do want a social life, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Nice as is!

Yep.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-05-24, 12:46

Yeh when you are 85 and on your ranch, you are going to look down at that pokemon thing, and go, what the fuck is that doing there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-24, 13:01

Exactly. You have to stay away from faddish, trendy stuff.

Put it this way: Remember that black, sleeveless "Def Leppard 1982 Pyromania World Tour" T-shirt you thought was so cool 25 years ago and that you wore for an entire year because that was the thing to do? Okay, imagine never being able to take it off and wear another shirt ever again.

Exactly.

I rest my case.

"This one here of Minnie Mouse giving head to Goofy, while Mickey watched as he pissed on the Chevrolet logo, seemed like a good idea at the time...".

And for those who think it's cool getting those Asian symbols, you should be careful. You have no idea what they really are, in many cases (there was an article on CNN.com about this very thing, about 6-8 months ago). The guy doing the ink might just emblazon "I stick tennis rackets up my butt - sideways - weekly" across your back if he wants, and you'd probably never know. And the next time you visit China, you're going to be ridiculed non-stop (or maybe seen as the greatest thing that ever hit, depending on which part of town you're hanging out).

Serious business, these tattoos. People should think long and hard about them. And then stop and think some more. And then, only after thinking a bit more, commit to it. I know people who blew past those first two steps (the "thinking about it" part) and now they're lamely branded for life (or paying for ugly, painful removal).

Any anyone ever getting an American Idol contestant's name or likeness (winner or otherwise) etched into their skin...that's pretty much grounds for lunar exile or something. In any case, I can't know you (you know good and well, as we speak, some dipshit somewhere in the U.S. has Taylor Hicks' face on their shoulder blade or bicep).