AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone OS 3.0 preview revealed!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone OS 3.0 preview revealed!
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-17, 12:49

Ugh, the most boring presentation in the world. Not even beer helping.
Bonn89

2009-03-17, 12:53

I agree, but thus far the only things specific to the iPhone OS are the new APIs, which are a big upgrade, but if OS 3.0 is really as big of an update as they say there must be some major upgrades to the stock apps that they're saving until last.

Text selection was listed as a new API on one of the slides, and the new SDK image has a blue box with scissors inside of it, both of which point to (Cut) Copy and Paste, so there's that, at least.

EDIT: Also, since Bluetooth is open to developers now, doesn't that kind of point to (at the very least) built-in A2DP stereo support?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-17, 13:07

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 13:31

I understand no A2DP on 2G iPhones, but why can't they use MMS? I can't think of one good reason for that.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I understand no A2DP on 2G iPhones, but why can't they use MMS? I can't think of one good reason for that.
Like the deletion of Firewire on MacBooks, it's to get you to upgrade.

AT&T seems to be playing in this realm as well. Over the last two weeks my EDGE speeds have dropped from ~150Kbps to 95Kbps, based on results from www.inetworktest.com .
Bonn89

2009-03-17, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
There's no good reason the 2G iPhone can't use A2DP either. As far as I know nobody from iFixit or any teardown site showed that there's a different in Bluetooth hardware between the 2G and 3G. But idk, maybe there is...

The MMS thing is complete bs, though. MMS doesn't require friggin' 3G. Or EDGE. All it takes is Cell data.

Hopefully they don't screw us out of SMSing contacts and the other things, too.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-17, 13:35

Me and my i-1.0-Phone can live with it.

No use whatsoever for MMS, but Stereo Bluetooth headphones would have been nice.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-17, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Me and my i-1.0-Phone can live with it.

No use whatsoever for MMS, but Stereo Bluetooth headphones would have been nice.
I can't even use my regular headphones in my i-1.0-Phone without an adapter, I didn't expect to get this feature either.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-17, 13:45

Am I the only one who's sort of...underwhelmed?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it fixes a lot of the annoyances with 1.0/2.0. But...that's what point releases are for. iPhone OS 2.0 added the freakin' App Store. This is iPhone OS 3.0, and while it addresses many gripes, it doesn't seem to be adding anything on that level. Or even close.

Granted, if Apple holds true to their past upgrade cycle, a new iPhone is due right around the time iPhone OS 3.0 is, and they're obviously not going to tell us about any features specific to that new iPhone.

Maybe it's just that we knew everything that they were going to announce. As it is, I'm most excited that they've opened up both Bluetooth and the dock connector to developers. Somebody really needs to make an iPhone office suite with a hardware keyboard.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 13:46

From continuing Gizmodo coverage (Jos & Forstall are taking questions):

Q: Is there a physical hardware problem on the first-gen iPhone that prevents it from doing MMS.
A: It’s a different radio, so it is a physical issue.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post

I mean, don't get me wrong, it fixes a lot of the annoyances with 1.0/2.0. But...that's what point releases are for. iPhone OS 2.0 added the freakin' App Store. This is iPhone OS 3.0, and while it addresses many gripes, it doesn't seem to be adding anything on that level. Or even close.

Granted, if Apple holds true to their past upgrade cycle, a new iPhone is due right around the time iPhone OS 3.0 is, and they're obviously not going to tell us about any features specific to that new iPhone.

Maybe it's just that we knew everything that they were going to announce. As it is, I'm most excited that they've opened up both Bluetooth and the dock connector to developers. Somebody really needs to make an iPhone office suite with a hardware keyboard.
You need to look at what's been given to developers in order to see all the advances made in OS 3.0. There are tons of improvements made to the publicly available APIs which should spur more apps and app improvements that were on many people's wish lists.

For example, programmers can now access music stored on the iPhone. Real time geolocation info is available. For turn by turn, the developer has to bring their own maps and BOOM! instant navigator. Full Google map features are available in any program as well. There are more API improvements that were shown via app demonstrations. You may need to go through the whole Gizmodo report again to see where improvements have been made to iOS 3.0.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-17, 13:57

Interesting stuff. More "under the hood" and geeky than I tend to follow, but I can certainly dig the scope. This thing is going to be untouchable.

And here's the nice part...you know the new iPhone (out this summer) is going to be really nice too. There's probably a reason they didn't delve into any discussions on video because that might give too much away about a new phone?

I think they're still holding some cool stuff "in reserve" (they usually do).

This is nice.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-17, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
You need to look at what's been given to developers in order to see all the advances made in OS 3.0. There are tons of improvements made to the publicly available APIs which should spur more apps and app improvements that were on many people's wish lists.

For example, programmers can now access music stored on the iPhone. Real time geolocation info is available. For turn by turn, the developer has to bring their own maps and BOOM! instant navigator. Full Google map features are available in any program as well. There are more API improvements that were shown via app demonstrations. You may need to go through the whole Gizmodo report again to see where improvements have been made to iOS 3.0.
But it's not SDK 3.0, it's iPhone OS 3.0. There should really be a bit more to it than that. It shouldn't be up to developers to plug Apple's holes.

Take a look at how Android and webOS handle notifications. That's what the iPhone is competing with. For better or for worse, they don't seem to be taking their competition seriously. Or maybe it's their "ease of use" fetish, I don't know. But it should really be up to me to decide if I'm ready to handle (gasp!) a pull-down notification screen - not Apple.

Most of people's complaints with iPhone OS 1.0/2.0 have been fixed - I'm not denying that. It's just that, to me, "fixes" go in point releases. Bundling up a bunch of fixes in lieu of new features is kind of...unApple-ish (unless they say that's exactly what they're doing, like with Snow Leopard).

Paul could be right - they could be holding stuff "in reserve" for the next iPhone (I mentioned that possibility in my original post, too). But when they announce a new OS, my first reaction shouldn't be "well, I hope there's more to it than that."

As of today, I still find the Pre more appealing. I mean, if it weren't for Sprint, anyway.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Bonn89

2009-03-17, 14:00

I'm still irked that I can't use stereo bluetooth or send a freakin' MMS...

But seriously, I agree with pscates, all the new APIs are going to make apps incredible, and I can't deny that 3.0 is bringing a lot of little (and big!) changes that make me seriously happy, like Spotlight, Notes sync, and even shake to shuffle.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-17, 14:08

It's getting to be quite the full-featured device! It's taking a while, but, come autumn, there won't be much this thing can't do (paired with a shiny new 32GB iPhone).

If they somehow manage to cram in iChat AV (an iSight/video cam thingie), that would be the perfect capper and travel device for me (I'd officially no longer have a need for a notebook...I can just spend the rest of my days buying iPhones and affordable refurb iMacs every 2-4 years, as needed).

Certainly makes life easy, not having to give a shit about towers, notebooks and all their related accessories and add-ons.

Thank you, Apple.

Your friend (and easiest-to-please customer, despite a few minor quibbles),
Paul

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 14:10

Does the CalDEV and .ics support mean that the Birthday and Holiday calendars will finally sync from iCal? Because that's the only feature I really care about.
Jerman

2009-03-17, 14:16

According to the Q&A, tethering is supported on 3.0. From ARS:

11:38
David Chartier: Creative Strategies asks about tethering.
11:38
David Chartier: Forstall explains what data tethering is for laptops, says tethering is supported in 3.0. Also working around carriers around the world to see when the networks can support it.

Let's hope to hear more about this soon!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 14:17

Quote:

Everyone who enjoyed today's "OS Preview" should take a quick moment to thank the Lord for Palm.
Palm is the first smartphone maker to have Apple looking anxiously in their rear view mirror.

Does anybody really think Apple would have previewed an unfinished iPhone OS three months ahead of release like this if the Pre wasn't breathing down their neck?

I love how Apple took such pains to point out why multitasking isn't in the OS...yet.
Competition is a great thing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-03-17, 14:17

So the opening-up of Bluetooth will lead to the handsfree voice dialing that I've desired for so long? Sure hope so.... and it will no doubt be integrated into the next rev of the device.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

So the opening-up of Bluetooth will lead to the handsfree voice dialing that I've desired for so long? Sure hope so.... and it will no doubt be integrated into the next rev of the device.

Not sure how opening up BT will enable voice dialing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-03-17, 14:27

Hmm.

The problem is, voice-dialing will require that a daemon be running, ready to intercept the issuance of a command to begin listening for commands, and since the machine doesn't multi-task, or leave apps running in the background (due to lowered battery life) it makes me think that an honest-to-goodness handsfree app functionality is unlikely.

Maybe it could only, sensibly, be a built-in hardware solution, to eschew yanking down the battery life so much.

Yeah? No?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 14:30

There's already multitasking (ever listen to music while surfing the web on WiFi and a phone call comes in?) in the iPhone. Apple just wants to restrict it to their internal developers.
surjones

2009-03-17, 14:31

Check Apple to see Advanced preview.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 14:32

Quote:
As it is, I'm most excited that they've opened up both Bluetooth and the dock connector to developers. Somebody really needs to make an iPhone office suite with a hardware keyboard.
Most people who are pitching the Apple Netbook rumors have not yet clued in to the idea that:

iPhone + hardware keyboard = Apple Netbook

It's like nobody remembers what made the Newton so great.
surjones

2009-03-17, 14:34

WELP....- 3.0 up on Apple's Website - Advanced preview only! Includes COPY AND PASTE, CUT!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-17, 14:36

I certainly don't remember what made the Newton so great. I don't remember ever seeing one in real life either.

The Apple guys wouldn't comment about an iPhone keyboard so you may be on the right path.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-17, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Everyone who enjoyed today's "OS Preview" should take a quick moment to thank the Lord for Palm.
Palm is the first smartphone maker to have Apple looking anxiously in their rear view mirror.
Well if they are, they aren't showing it. Maybe with a new iPhone this summer, but I can't buy that one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
Does anybody really think Apple would have previewed an unfinished iPhone OS three months ahead of release like this if the Pre wasn't breathing down their neck?
They had a similar "preview" for iPhone OS 2.0, right? Of course, that was sort of different, because iPhone OS 2.0 was more substantial. But I digress. I think now that there's developers for the iPhone platform, these spring previews will be the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
I love how Apple took such pains to point out why multitasking isn't in the OS...yet.
Competition is a great thing.
They took such pains to point out why multitasking isn't in the OS because it's a f'ing useful thing that everybody wants. If it'd be too much of a battery or resource hog, then maybe Apple should have - oh, idunno - designed the phone in a way where that wasn't the case? Oh, but then you wouldn't be able to have 3D games, which seems to be all Apple cares about (like I'm really going to drop my PSP for an iPhone).

But it's not even multitasking which bothers me, it's just how compartmentalized the whole interface is. You go into the SMS app to read your SMSes, then you go in the Mail app to read your email, and the only notifications you have of new missives are little red circles on their icons. That's stupid. That might be okay for people who have never used a modern (meaning not WinMo) smartphone ever, but it really shouldn't be. And it's made even more egregious by the lack of multitasking - you mean I have to quit whatever I'm doing just to be able to read a text? Every time?

I can sort of "get" Apple not wanting to make background processes open to developers, because there would be dumbasses who would never quit apps and would try to run five different 3D games at once. But some things - like SMS and the music player - really should be accessible from anywhere, at least in a rudimentary form. There are third-party solutions to this, but there shouldn't have to be. I shouldn't have to download an app called biteSMS or whatever just so I'm not thoroughly inconvenienced with every text.

There's lots of tweaks inside of individual apps, but as far as the actual interface, the only thing that seems to be changed is the new Spotlight screen. Meanwhile, all those with tons of apps who are looking for some way to organize them are left waiting. Again. Same with those looking for a notification bar or multitasking of any kind. And this is the big 3-0?

It's like they're still getting the iPhone to where it should have been at launch. (MMS? Really?) And that's obviously not a bad thing, but it is a little...disappointing. Here's hoping for a new iPhone with more..."new" (if they add a notification bar but only for the next-gen iPhone I'm going to slit my wrists, I swear).

EDIT:

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-03-17, 14:53

With respect to multitasking and running apps in the background, I wonder if Apple tested the Pre.

It will be interesting, to see how well the Pre fares in the real world usage. Perhaps it may experience the same fate as the Android based G1. The G1 was greatly touted, until people realized you couldn't even get through a day without recharging it.

Then again, I think the Pre has a user replaceable battery. Still, not fun to crack open a phone half-way during the day.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-17, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
With respect to multitasking and running apps in the background, I wonder if Apple tested the Pre.

It will be interesting, to see how well the Pre fares in the real world usage. Perhaps it may experience the same fate as the Android based G1. The G1 was greatly touted, until people realized you couldn't even get through a day without recharging it.

Then again, I think the Pre has a user replaceable battery. Still, not fun to crack open a phone half-way during the day.
The G1 has a user-replaceable battery too.

I don't see anything about the Android software that would kill the battery - I'm pretty sure it's just that the G1 had a pretty cheap, low-capacity one. You can buy a higher-capacity one that's the exact same size, and it works better. But yeah, not exactly the best way to make a good first impression.

The Pre has the same battery as the Centro. It worked well for the Centro, but who knows how long it'll power the Pre.

But the funny thing is, webOS - with all its interface snazzyness - could actually be even "lighter" than iPhone OS, considering that everything is a "web app." Part of me wonders why Apple didn't just go this route - yes, the entire world was demanding a "real" SDK, but that's because Apple distinguished between web apps and native apps (you had to open Safari to get to all of your web apps). The Pre doesn't.

They're obviously pushing the iPhone as some sort of 3D games machine, but nobody wanted or expected that on a phone before they made that move. It's sort of puzzling.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-17, 15:01

Well, my first-gen iPod touch is sad now. I am, for the first time, officially jealous of 2G iPod touch owners.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/2...-by-iphone-os/

Quote:
Originally Posted by engadget
Looks like that Bluetooth chip in the iPod touch 2G we've always thought was for Nike+ suddenly got a lot more useful: Apple's Greg Joswiak said that Bluetooth can be "unlocked" on the device during the iPhone OS 3.0 Q&A session.