Google to buy FitBit

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google to buy FitBit
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-01, 13:37

Linky Linky

Now I need to move on from FitBit. I really don't want Google having all my data in one place.

I used FitBit for trackers and now I still use them for my scale. Granted, Google will buy every bit of that data as part of their acquisition so it isn't like I can hide it.

I'm going to have to find a new scale that syncs to my phone/Apple Health and see how to erase my data from FitBit if possible.
Quote:
Please note that we may preserve data for legal reasons or to prevent harm as described in our Privacy Policy.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-01, 14:24

Not sure why they bothered to buy IP from Pebble.

Hard to find the right niche between platform behemoth (Apple) and low-cost good-enough co (Xiaomi). They couldn't compete on price, nor on integration.

As for your scale, have you tried Withings?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-01, 19:58

Glad I stopped using my Fitbit. Now, they are the new Nest: Just another data mine for Google. Uh, uh, no way! And I just bought me kid an Apple Watch to replace her Fitbit. Talk about good timing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-02, 08:21

I haven't tried the Withings scale. I actually bought the new Aria 2 less than a year ago. Sucks feeling like I have to throw $120 (or whatever I paid) out because another company bought out the one I trusted with my data.

Of course, if you think it is bad that Google bought FitBit, apparently Facebook tried first but Google doubled the bid price.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-02, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Of course, if you think it is bad that Google bought FitBit, apparently Facebook tried first but Google doubled the bid price.
Oh, the value of data.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-11-03, 18:10

You think that's bad, just do some hunting on how much data mining modern connected cars are doing. I imagine Google is snagging that from any Android auto equipped car, even if you don't use it.

I thought about getting a Fitbit once or twice, and realized it was a waste of money, just like any other watch.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-03, 20:27

Yeah, I used one for about a year, then gave up after the novelty wore off. I found myself getting up early, walking a bazillion miles to get "steps", and then crashing as the day wore on. Eventually, I found that I was getting pretty darn close to the "recommended steps" on any given day just by going about my normal routine, so the Fitbit lost its usefulness and I ditched it. I have never trusted Fitbit's security promises, and now I know why. They have lots of data to sell, and have no shame in doing so once the tide turns.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-11-04, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Glad I stopped using my Fitbit. Now, they are the new Nest: Just another data mine for Google. Uh, uh, no way! And I just bought me kid an Apple Watch to replace her Fitbit. Talk about good timing.
Ken - we’re in the same boat right now for our daughter. We were thinking about an Apple Watch, but heard it requires an iPhone and don’t want to provide an iPhone now. Is it possible for a child to use an Apple Watch without an iPhone?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-04, 15:38

Well, technically yes. The Watch does require an iPhone for setup and syncing, but functions without the phone around. The problem you would bump into is that the text messaging, etc. are linked to that phone, so those options would all have to be disabled. Honestly, i don't think the Watch without the phone is entirely … right?

She would not be able to message, email, etc. The health bits are tied to the Health app in the iPhone. So it really wouldn't offer a lot of Watch features. However, the current Series 3 is down to $199, so they have gotten cheap. Not sure that fixes things, but …

Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-11-04, 15:39

I feel similarly to the majority here with relation to data mining.

For the record, I enjoy wearing a mechanical watch so the Fitbit band form factor suits. I own an Apple Watch, but once I bought the Fitbit I stopped wearing the Apple Watch. Now, with the acquisition by Google, I’m ready to delete my account, like I did when Insta was bought by FB.

I’m just hoping the Apple Watch form factor evolves like the iPod, to eventually include a wrist band style.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-11-04, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, technically yes. The Watch does require an iPhone for setup and syncing, but functions without the phone around. The problem you would bump into is that the text messaging, etc. are linked to that phone, so those options would all have to be disabled. Honestly, i don't think the Watch without the phone is entirely … right?

She would not be able to message, email, etc. The health bits are tied to the Health app in the iPhone. So it really wouldn't offer a lot of Watch features. However, the current Series 3 is down to $199, so they have gotten cheap. Not sure that fixes things, but …
Yes, this is where we’re at.

The text messaging being tied to my wife’s phone is the deal breaker. We’ll keep investigating, but the irony is the day I was ready to jump off Fitbit, my daughter wants a wearable and would like to compete with Daddy.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-04, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Ken - we’re in the same boat right now for our daughter. We were thinking about an Apple Watch, but heard it requires an iPhone and don’t want to provide an iPhone now. Is it possible for a child to use an Apple Watch without an iPhone?
Apple Watch might one day be separated from the iPhone the same way the iPhone was separated from the Mac/PC in iOS 5, but today is not that day.

Virtually everything you do on the Watch is tied to the iPhone in some way.

That said, there are other options out there, especially if you only want to give her a fitness tracker.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-11-05, 17:07

Thanks for the clarification chucker - I’m waiting for that day when the Apple Watch is either separated from the iPhone... and/or offered in a band type form factor.

We’re checking out other options, but it looks like she’ll end up with a Fitbit and we’ll set up a family account. It’s not ideal, as I don’t want my health data served to Google, but until Apple provides a solution that meets our needs, this will be the path.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-10, 18:06

So it looks like if I want a WiFi scale I'll have to switch over to Withings. Thing is I'm not convinced they are a good option either. I have to sync my data over to them for it to go to my Apple Watch/HealthKit. Sure I can manually enter my data, but that would mean actually doing it. When getting up and going for the day it would get missed for certain more times than not.

Who owns Withings now?

chucker

2019-11-11, 05:38

Withings was independent, then sold to Nokia, then became independent again.

(Nokia currently doesn't seem able or willing to run a consumer products division. They're basically only a network equipment / research company now. Nokia-branded phones are made under license.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-11, 19:51

I wonder how long they will stay that way until someone buys them again for their data.

For now, I'm going to buy one of their scales since I don't want FitBit giving my data to Google.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-11, 19:56

Linky Linky
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-12, 14:47

So I ordered a Withings scale in hope of being able to delete my FitBit data before it gets into the hands of Google.

Not sure who to give my Aria 2 too now either. Why would I want them to let Google own their data?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-12, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I ordered a Withings scale in hope of being able to delete my FitBit data before it gets into the hands of Google.

Not sure who to give my Aria 2 too now either. Why would I want them to let Google own their data?
I'm a big fan of Withings stuff. I have been using their scale and their blood pressure monitor for a few years now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-13, 11:37

Thank you. I really hope they don't turn to the dark side.