Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Years abroad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Years abroad
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
xionja

2004-08-24, 22:50

I'm thinking of (in fact pretty sure) going to Australia for my senior year of highschool, or junior/senior senior/yearafter cause the australian school year is different.

My school has been complicated, went to elementary, then a really small school [a school called the 'devils education' by a very right wing politics forum, they call my town 'the city of evil'] from sixth to ninth and half of tenth. I'm starting 11th at the same school I did the second half of tenth in. Its just your normal big ass highschool. But I can't imagine going there for 2 more years. Or staying in my hometown that long.

Anyone who's been to Ithaca knows what I'm talking about. Much of the Ithacan populace embodys the middle-class liberal latte, baggy clothing, wish they were hippies, recycling ect. ect.

I figure by going aboard I can kinda avoid everything, go down under, and never come back up again. cause I don't really wanna go to college.

Personally, I'd like to just move their, get a job ect. But my parents wouldn't go for that, so an academic progam exchange is what we settle on.

I figure Australia has dirt biking, lots of horses, good weather, hot guys, good beer, ac/dc, and kangaroos and koalas. All of my hobbys in one country.

I would have to leave my best friends here, which is harder than it sounds, especially when I come back, they'd all be gone to college, and that I seriously consider not coming back, at least not for a while.

So the real question, Is going to australia going to be a good thing or would I be running away from all the things I that I should just stand up and face.

Like college, going to one school for more than a few years, permenent situations (i can't even keep a boyfriend for more than say 24 hours, they get boring) my parents, alot of bad things in Ithaca.

So the morality of going away, and my second question, How likely do you think it is that I'd go their, go to high school for year, then get a place of my own in Australia, get a job on a ranch ect. . . or maybe go to college there.

and a third question. i'm putting you all to the test. Anybody else done a year abroad, and like what is the best program to go with?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-24, 23:04

You only live once. I say do it.

You're not nuts about your current situation, you can probably get work, you seem pretty resourceful and not exactly a shrinking violet.

You could always try it, at least. Nothing carved in stone and you could always return if it wasn't to your liking.

If I were young and unattached and wasn't nuts about my present situation, I'd be on the plane this weekend. Just keep your head.

I can't speak to the education-specific things. I'm just talking in a general "it's your life and you have to live it" kinda way...

You're not "running from" as much as "running to". That's how I'd look at it.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-24, 23:42

Australia really doesn't fit the image. Apparently it's a lot like America (or so the Americans here tell me). I'm not trying to put you off Australia, it's a really nice place, but don't expect to see kangaroos and koalas outside a zoo. Anyway, any exchange is probably a good exchange. Go for it!

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-25, 01:01

Travel is always good for providing perspective. See how the rest of the world lives.
Some come to appreciate their home more after seeing it from another neighbourhood. Some come to realize their domestic self-image is not the view from the outside. Both experiences can be valuable in refining internal and external judgments. Your eyes may never see things the same way again.

As to using travel as procrastination before returning to responsibilities, being honest about your motives is important. Defer rather than avoid might be better language to use if you're pitching a trip to parents with motives a factor. College isn't some bogeyman under the bed, but neither should it be a cast-in-stone path that you must commit to before you have the vibe of what you want to do with your life.

Sometimes a solar orbit spent getting the sense of your place in the world is a smart investment.

That said, there is a long tradition of young students doing a year of travel in Europe or elsewhere. This tradition is now gaining prominence in the UK as Princes William and Harry take their "Gap Year" abroad before coming back for University/Military Service/Throne. It has become trendy to soak up some otherness before settling into a safe sameness. Last century it might have been steamship and rail passes to the "old world capitals", more recently it might be backpackers in hostels or eco-tourism, but the underlying motivations and rationale resolve to perspective and exposure as values in their own right.

Some would argue that the journey is as important as the destination.

As to imagining Oz is the land of yellow brick roads to easy work visas... nope.
Even other commonwealth countries get extremely critical inquiries from immigration. Visa marriages of convenience can get tests and follow-up. Some say they pull the paperwork if the couple conveniently splits up thereafter and deport the foreigner (though it was a Kiwi who'd had a 'visa spouse' who told me, so maybe NZ was different then).

We've got a handful of antipodeans at AN, so perhaps they can clarify the bureaucracy involved.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-08-25, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Australia really doesn't fit the image. Apparently it's a lot like America (or so the Americans here tell me).
In a vast number of ways, Australia and Australians are very much like the US and its citizens. We're by no means identical as a country or as a culture. For starters, you'll need to learn to drive on the left hand side of the road.

My general feeling is that if you're looking for somewhere a little less fanatically religious, and possibly slightly more relaxed, Australia is a good bet. I often feel that in some ways we're actually more conservative than Americans… you should also probably brace yourself for running into the occasional really nasty stereotype about Americans.

Don't come here expecting to escape the middle class and things like recycling (kerbside separation of garbage and recycling in particular is now mandatory in most Australian cities), tofu, and hippies. Australia is a middle class nation (and I wouldn't be surprised if, due to our strongly redistributive tax and welfare systems, our middle class actually contains a higher percentage of the population).

Quote:
I'm not trying to put you off Australia, it's a really nice place, but don't expect to see kangaroos and koalas outside a zoo.
Koalas, perhaps, although I kind of suspect that the fact that they're grey, and live in grey trees well above head height, may have something to do with that. There are f**kloads of kangaroos all down the eastern seaboard, and in semi-rural towns like Canberra, you'll see them all the time (emus too, the horrible things).

Quote:
Anyway, any exchange is probably a good exchange. Go for it!

Barto
I second that motion. Personally I'd go for the UK, but I live in Australia, don't I?

By the way, on visas and curiousuburb: your friend from NZ was actually in an interesting position (probably), because Kiwis are the only nation to have automatic right of entry to Australia. Until about five years ago, we didn't even require them to produce passports upon coming into the country (I think — Omega would be a better authority on this than me). At any rate, the restrictions on their entry are very very weak compared to anywhere else. Hence the huge numbers of those bizarre NZ accents floating around the country.

In general, however, Australia is very selective in its approach to permanent residency visas. Generally, we have three streams of migration: skilled, family reunion, and refugee. I doubt you'd get in on the latter, family reunion is limited to nuclear family (have a brother/mother/child living in Australia?) and skilled apparently sets a fairly high bar. You possibly don't need a degree or a nest-egg with which to buy a home, but these things would certainly help. Permanent residency, however, is not exactly something you need to get immediately stressed about if you're entering as a student, which should be much more straightforward. You'll find that Australia generally has an excellent education system, although be warned that if you hope to go to Uni down here (I say why not, it can't hurt, and it keeps you out of the workforce proper for three years) you won't be eligible for Youth Allowance, and as an international student (unless you get a scholarship), you'll be liable of up-front fees of up to AUD$20,000 (about US$14,000). From what one hears of the cost of US education, that may not actually be as bad as it sounds to me… (if you were Australian, the most it would cost would be about AUD$6K/annum, deferred until your income rose over $30K, and then repaid as a tax surcharge thereafter).

Anyway, don't take my word on visas, have a squiz at the Australian consulate's website, it should have all that stuff in pretty fine detail.

To be honest, I would recommend going to University, even if you don't think that there's anything you feel a burning desire to learn. It's generally a pretty interesting and fun experience, you get to meet lots of nice/attractive/interesting/depraved/drunken young people, and at the end of it you're much more employable.

Quote:
I figure Australia has dirt biking, lots of horses, good weather, hot guys, good beer, ac/dc, and kangaroos and koalas. All of my hobbys in one country.
I'm sure Barto, Mac+ and I are all blushing furiously at this point. Australia certainly has lots of blokey blokes (alas, not me). I'm not sure I'd qualify VB as good beer (certainly… robust) — we have good beer if you like drinking something that has to be almost frozen to be drinkable by normal humans (as opposed to Australians), or if you like drinking lager. But as they say (cue images of large sweaty men in singlets, driving mine trucks, blowing things up, working on road so as to show off their hard shiny muscles and tans) "A hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer, and the best cold beer is Vic. Vic Bitter." We certainly have lots of nasty hot weather, and ac/dc have been known to play in Australia; dirt biking is not unknown as a hobby either. And there are indeed many opportunities to interact with horses in Australia.

Quote:
So the morality of going away, and my second question, How likely do you think it is that I'd go their, go to high school for year, then get a place of my own in Australia, get a job on a ranch ect. . . or maybe go to college there.
There's a big institution on Australian cattle farms of employing young striplings from the cities as "jackaroos" for a year — basically as inexperienced mounted farm hands. They'd probably snap you up, not least of all because presumably you can already ride. Prince what's-his-face just did this…

Quote:
and a third question. i'm putting you all to the test. Anybody else done a year abroad, and like what is the best program to go with?
I've done a year abroad, but the only way in which the experience was relevant was to say (1) it's a good experience and (2) avoid Mile End in London like the plague.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-08-25, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
By the way, on visas and curiousuburb: your friend from NZ was actually in an interesting position (probably), because Kiwis are the only nation to have automatic right of entry to Australia. Until about five years ago, we didn't even require them to produce passports upon coming into the country (I think — Omega would be a better authority on this than me). At any rate, the restrictions on their entry are very very weak compared to anywhere else. Hence the huge numbers of those bizarre NZ accents floating around the country.
Oz has been cracking down on us lay-about NZ'ers (who have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Oz) so it is not quite as easy as it used to be. Still need to show a passport, but a work permit is not required. Luckily for me I got all the goods, I think my Medicare card runs out in '07.

I was going to reply to this thread when it first came out, but I thought I would let the natives reply first so I did not get lambasted incase I said something they disagreed with! What I was going to say is that Oz is very much Americanised, more so than NZ, who follows Britain's lead.

As with any country/city/town you live in, when you look back it is the people who are really important. Personally I found Melbourne to much nicer than Sydney, as I though that Sydney was a bit too shallow and obsessed with money. Melbourne is more refined and has a culture built around cafes and restaurants (except when the footy season is on, then it is VB and pies).

Would I advise going to Oz for your senior years? Yes, without a doubt. The chance to experience new things and see the "world" can only be beneficial.

As far as the schooling is concerned, I have no idea at all.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-25, 09:15

In general:
A year or two (or more) abroad = good idea
Making firm decisions, at your age, against university = bad idea

Going abroad for extended periods when you are young is a mind-broadening experience than can benefit you for the rest of your life. Though, as some have said here, Australia, as another English-speaking middle-class western country, might not be all that different from where you are. Have you considered other places? On the other hand, even just getting out of your hometown can be a considerable experience, so Australia, far beyond that, could be just what you need.

University is not for everyone. Lots of smart successful people legitimately decide to take other paths. On the other hand, for many, university is a fun, mind-broadening experience on its own, and one that is necessary for - or is of great practical benefit for - many career paths. By all means take some time off from schooling if you feel that this is right for you – I did. But don’t cut yourself off from ever going.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-25, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionja
xionja: I was born and raised in Switzerland and attended high school there. I decided against a year abroad during high school, because I figured that I would not be mature enough to appreciate a foreign culture. But many of my close friends went abroad with AFS Intercultural Programs, including two to Australia, and absolutely loved their experience.

As for myself, I decided to do a year abroad at the university level, by enrolling at a small liberal arts college in Massachusetts (Amherst College) in 1994. I ended up staying there for the full four years (for a B.A.). Ten years later, I am still living in the US.

On top of that, I also met my (American) wife while both of us were working for AFS in NYC (it was my first summer of college, she was working there full-time during grad school). She did a summer abroad in Egypt and a year abroad in Belgium, both with AFS.

Bottom line: A year abroad is likely to be a life-altering experience, regardless of whether you come home of not. There's no need to decide in advance. If you go to Australia for a year and then come back to the US, you can always return to Australia later. Or you can stay in Australia if you like it so much.

The world is your oyster!

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-25, 10:01

PS: For the sake of completeness, I have heard that Youth For Understanding (YFU) -- AFS's main competitor -- has excellent high school exchange programs as well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-25, 10:04

Escher I didn't know you were Swiss. How interesting. I don't know WHY it's interesting, but it is.

Just never heard your background before.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-25, 13:57

You should check out Rome Italy. The high school I attended is located right at the heart of Rome, we have a 200 student body representing 70+ nationalities.

About 40 americans come every year and attend our school as a boarder. The ones I have spoken to have said that this experience has changed the way they look at the world, and really helped them grow.

Our school as featured in an article in Newsweek a few years ago, talking about kids of the 3rd culture and multiculturalism. It's really quite an exceptional school offering great fun and excellent education.

I personally think you'll find Rome more exciting than Australia. Two of my former classmates went to Australia to study but both are now in England because they said it was really boring there. (I think it's a fun place for tourism though)

http://www.ststephens.it/

Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. My dad went to Cornell, and he says Ithaca is a very boring and cold place. One of his close friends even commited suicide by jumping off that bridge. I visited it a couple of years ago so I can understand how you feel.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-26, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Escher I didn't know you were Swiss. How interesting.
pscates: While we're at it, let's note that I am 50% French too -- complete with citizenship and passport. Back on .COM, there were a bunch of Swiss people, including The Installer, who is half Swiss/half British. And of course, Powerdoc is a fellow Frenchman. After ten years in the US, I have been assimilated by the Borg. So I usually reveal my foreign identity only to fellow Swiss(wo)men and French(wo)men.

Back on/off topic: A year abroad will give anybody a more open perspective, which will hopefully lead to more understanding and less conflict. I contend that the US would be a better place, and would not have the number of enemies it has today, if more Americans were spending year(s) abroad.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-26, 08:36

I guarantee you that in every home you visit they will

Be growing pot in the backgarden somewhere...

Offer you VB, show you where they grow pot and smoke some with you!

VB - Victoria Bitter Beer.

Been there quite a few times.
Got loads of friends there.
Went for two mental weddings (not my own!!)...

Saw Kangaroos and Koalas.

Well that was Vistoria anyway..

Sidney is even madder!

If you get to go out and want to sit and watch really freaky stuff in a mental bangin club go to the Black Market!!

Last time I went there people were hanging themselves from the cieling by nipple suckers!!! Well it was S&M night..

Australia is groovy mate... Get a load of it!!

scratt!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
staph
Microbial member

2004-08-26, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I guarantee you that in every home you visit they will

Be growing pot in the backgarden somewhere...
You mean people in other countries don't do this?

In the ACT and several other parts of the country pot is decriminalised — you're allowed a couple of ounces, or three plants.

Quote:
Offer you VB, show you where they grow pot and smoke some with you!

VB - Victoria Bitter Beer.
Sorry,

VB == ambrosia

Quote:
Well that was Vistoria anyway..
Yeah, I like Victoria. Definitely preferable to NSW.

Quote:
Sidney is even madder!
Especially after he killed Nancy.

Quote:
If you get to go out and want to sit and watch really freaky stuff in a mental bangin club go to the Black Market!!
Hmm, never made it…

Quote:
Last time I went there people were hanging themselves from the cieling by nipple suckers!!! Well it was S&M night..
… but maybe I should.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-26, 10:33

Quote:
You mean people in other countries don't do this?
I wish!!

Bit of a culture shock coming to Thailand because England has just started decriminalization!! Bummer!

Nice post though. Thanks. Made me laugh! And rather prooved my point!

The only thing that got on my nerves in Oz was being called Pom everywhere I went! My name didn't matter I was always Pom! Funny looking back on it though.

Anyway.. xionja.. Did ya git me point (Australian accent)

<ducks>

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-26, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Sidney is even madder!
Quote:
Especially after he killed Nancy.
ROTFLMAO!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-26, 14:24

Hey Escher. You took the bar exam for 'which' state?

Just curious...is your opinion of Americans better or worse 'now', compared to when you first came over here?

So many Europeans seem to loathe America and Americans. I'm surprised you decided to stay here all this time. If you don't mind my asking, *why* did you decide to stay? Please feel free to ignore my impertinent questions.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-08-26, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol

Just curious...is your opinion of Americans better or worse 'now', compared to when you first came over here?

So many Europeans seem to loathe America and Americans. I'm surprised you decided to stay here all this time. If you don't mind my asking, *why* did you decide to stay? Please feel free to ignore my impertinent questions.

Probably the women. Italian men at least are absolutely crazy about american women.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-26, 15:00

What's so great about American women, compared to women from other countries? I'm very curious.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-26, 16:02

Quote:
What's so great about American women, compared to women from other countries? I'm very curious.
I may be totally off base here, but I think that this attitude may be based, in part, on a historical blip. In particular, I think that the ‘sexual revolution’ may have hit a bit earlier in the U.S. compared to elsewhere, and so American women were viewed as more sexually free than some of their counterparts in other countries. I am not sure that this difference in sexual freedom applies anymore – especially U.S. as against Europe – but I think that some of the ‘aura’ from it may still remain.

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-08-26, 16:43

Quote:

Well, I can safely say I'm not generalizing here about the Italian men because...you'll see why if you came here.

It really is quite odd because most Italians nowadays are quite not fond of US diplomatic policies.

Typical scene: American female tourists, Italian dude goes up and tries to score.

I think it might be due to them thinking that american women are all blond, hot and like in Bay Watch or the films...since most films shown are american

A month ago I was at St.Peters with Macusers going up the elevator. A couple of italian guys who worked there took these american female turists up the elevator for free and accompanied them. They could hardly even communicate, and speaking amongst themselves, the italian dudes were talking about how to score and stuff.

I have several Italian friends and when I told them an american friend of mine from UVa might be doing an exchange programme with their school, their faces lit up and they immediately asked me to give her their emails, and told me to tell them that they'll show her around, etc etc.

Perhaps they're attracted to the idea that american women may be haughty and dare I say...bitchy?
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-26, 19:32

Quote:
I took the bar for the District of Columbia. I'm planning to stay here for now and didn't want to deal with traveling out of "state" (as you know from civics class, DC isn't actually a state) for the actual two-day exam nor for the swearing-in ceremony if/when I pass.

Quote:
My opinion of America and Americans has improved markedly over the past ten years. In the beginning, I complained about everything, especially the food, all the time. Now I drink beer (as long as it's not Budweiser or Busch dog piss), eat donuts, watch TV... I even have a fat ass.

Quote:
So many Europeans seem to loathe America and Americans. I'm surprised you decided to stay here all this time.
Carol: There's a wide variety of reasons why I am still here, by my own choice. Basically, the longer I have stayed here the more I have learned to appreciate at least the good parts of American culture.

I got used to consumer society very quickly. Buy everything on credit -- now even online -- and pay later.

I grew up drinking wine and champagne, and looking down on beer. I barely drank in college because there was only crappy beer. But then I discovered the wonderful world of microbrews -- which is non-existant in Europe -- and now I drink more beer than wine.

I think it's fantastic that people in the US are encouraged (by tax incentives) to own their own homes and fix them up themselves. The renter mentality of many Europeans is very passive.

The protestant work ethic that permeates a good part of America is sorely lacking in a lot of Europe. People are ingenious and don't hesitate to take their fate into their own hands -- while many Europeans expect the government to take care of them. I've learned to live with the downside of the protestant ethic too, e.g. the self-righteous conservative christian right that is so loud here (let's hope those who can vote do vote and boot them out this November ).

Finally, the open spaces here -- both physically and legally -- are just amazing. In physical terms, you can drive from the Canadian border to the Mexican border on 99% public lands, entirely off-road. Such an adventure would be unthinkable in Europe. In legal terms, I can build a hot air balloon on my home sewing machine here and, within certain (very broad) limits, fly around without a licence or insurance. That's incredible!

There are many more reasons I like the U.S.

Note an important caveat: I have only lived in the Northeast (Massachusetts and NYC), Northern California (Berkeley), and here in DC. I suspect that my outlook would be different if I were forced to live furhter south or in the heartland of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
Probably the women. Italian men at least are absolutely crazy about american women.
stevegong is right. I fell in "love" and never looked back. As much as I love the U.S., I dearly miss France, Switzerland, and the rest of Europe. I truly savour my vacations back home, whether it's skiing in the Swiss alps or going to the beach and eating good food and wine in Southern France. If I were not married to a lovely American, there's a good chance I would have returned to the old continent.

Bottom line: The U.S. is different in many good ways. But I still love Europe, even hold it up on a pedestal. Who knows where I will be ten or twenty years from now?

Escher

staph
Microbial member

2004-08-26, 19:41

Quote:
That's funny — I'm pretty impressed by Italian women!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-26, 19:46

Quote:
I think American women (at least the younger ones) love to get hammered and hook up. They don't bother with the flirting part, which is as far as most European girls will go. Originally, that "quick" nature turned me off. Now I appreciate it, even though I miss flirting without ulterior motives.

OTOH, If you whistle at a girl in the U.S., you're a macho prick. If you do the same in Europe, she appreciates the compliment. That hypocrisy, which is everywhere here, is the only thing that truly bothers me about the U.S. at this point.

Of course, I'm generalizing, unduly. But that's the stereotypical gist of it.

Escher

PS: There's another thing I've come to appreciate about American women. They are more athletic and less subservient than European women. I originally thought that it was weird for girls to play soccer or even rugby. But a healthy girl who can come along and keep up with me while biking, running, skiing, or anything else, doubles the pleasure of being with her.

Last edited by Escher : 2004-08-26 at 19:51.
xionja

2004-08-27, 18:15

Thanks for all the stories and suggestions, some of them made me think twice about what to do. . . and also I stand corrected about my observations of Australia. I guess it was good entertainment for the australians here to see an american stereotype of what australia is like.

Unfortuanetly I can't go this year because of academic obligations, like taking regents test. damnit. But my parents hesitantly agreed to send me off my senior year of highschool.

The jackaroo/jillaroo thing sounds like something I would dream of, like perfect, and an extra thanks to Staph for enlightning me.

lots to think about . . .
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-27, 21:08

Hey staph - great posts!

Sorry I was MIA. Loved the VB radio commercial too - remember wanting to arrange that at Uni for a string ensemble. Never quite got around to it. I think you have reignited that desire.

Oh, and btw, xionja - I have to agree with the general sentiment. A year abroad will serve you well, and don't dismiss time spent at Uni too lightly.

Good luck if you ever get over here for a stint as a "jillaroo" too.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-28, 08:32

I forgot to mention the very best thing about living in the U.S. of A. Being that the U.S. is Apple's home market, it's the best place to get easy and early access to new Apple goodies. As unimportant as it seems, I'd hate to pay European VAT on top of higher Apple MSRP and wait for new products even longer.

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-08-30, 07:51

Quote:
That's funny — I'm pretty impressed by Italian women!

Italian women are feisty!!!

Yeah, it kind a bothers me, the hypocracy thing with a merican girls. I was taking pics at the beach last week and the italian girls felt good I took pics of them, and some even asked me to take pics of them.

In the US I'd probably be called a stalker/pervert, get slapped or sued.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-30, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
I forgot to mention the very best thing about living in the U.S. of A. Being that the U.S. is Apple's home market, it's the best place to get easy and early access to new Apple goodies. [...]

Yeah, - it’s good for the U.S. – but it drives us nuts in the rest of the world, even in Canada. The fact is that Apple does not serve the international market as nearly as well as it does the rest of the world. I remember this being the subject of a thread back on AI way back when. I have always thought that this approach by Apple was one of the things holding the company back.

Anyway, I don’t want to de-rail xionja’s good thread with this side topic – maybe I’ll create another thread to complain about it here on AN.

staph
Microbial member

2004-08-30, 08:38

Quote:
In the US I'd probably be called a stalker/pervert, get slapped or sued.
In Australia, you could be liable for up to five years imprisonment.