MC: Rail Transport

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Rail Transport
Page 6 of 10 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-04, 22:18

Well, I think we have room to double our size as of now.... but you're right, we do not want it huge. If Nether is 1:8 then how much more space does it take on a server?

If we all choose to go big, an SSD would make a huge difference. That's still no where near as fast as a RAMdrive though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-04, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The prospect of using the nether to wildly expand the world does not sit well with me.
Agreed. Nether travel is really fast. To put it in perspective, 8:1 means that traveling the entire East-West skyway, about 2560 blocks, takes only 320 blocks in the Nether, which is roughly the distance from Brad's house to Old Towne.

I tried it today in single player. Went about 200 blocks in the nether (over a huge lava lake, making a 1x1 stone bridge while dodging ghasts) and popped out game-days journey away from my spawn point. It was way further than I expected 8:1 to be.

Also, building multiple portals on one side in close proximity will usually all lead to the same portal on the other side... or something like that. Build too many portals and it gets confusing.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-05 at 00:35.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-05, 00:05

Should we just ignore the Nether entirely, then? If we never go there on the server, it never generates, and we save space.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-05, 00:18

Expansion of the real world due to Nether exploration could be limited if portals can only be built real world side as a rule.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-05, 08:07

I don't want to limit Nether being built, it is part of the game. Maybe a request for a limit like mentioned would be sufficient. I think if people use common sense it should be fine.

Worst case is someone goes way out and gets pruned.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-05, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Worst case is someone goes way out and gets pruned.
Not so easy with the nether, if my recollections are correct, but I need to verify with the "new" map format...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-05, 08:23

Can someone warp from Nether to the main world? What about from the main world to Nether?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 08:27

Oooo... what is this "mail world" of which you speak???!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-05, 08:28

The post office.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 09:08

Okay, so I've forged some mine tracks and I've made a mine cart, but I'm not ready to start building the Olde Towne to Skull Falls route just yet because I need to understand the standard setup for mine-carting.

So far I understand that:
  • you have to have a means of making the cart go, and that some people use "boosters", however I'm not sure if there's a simple explanation or example of best practices in this department.
  • tracks can be angled. Do they automatically do this if placed on a slope?
  • tracks can be curved. Do they automatically stitch an intersection of 90º tracks together?
  • How many carts must be available on any particular run? These are stored in chests, right?
  • if we run carts underneath walkways that means building a dedicated "underbridge" as they can't be suspended from overhead tracks.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
arteggio

2011-05-05, 09:17

I'm playing around with tracks at the moment, and here's what I've picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
tracks can be curved. Do they automatically stitch an intersection of 90º tracks together?
Yes. Place one track on a block, then another track one block up and to the left or right, then place a track between them and it curves. Powered rails curve also, but there's no image for powered curving so it appears that they don't.

Quote:
How many carts must be available on any particular run? These are stored in chests, right?
Storable in chests, yep. As for quantity, as many as you want? One cart can take you across a whole run. If you need to move the cart to a different track, just hit it with a sword and you can put it in your inventory. Very reusable.

Quote:
if we run carts underneath walkways that means building a dedicated "underbridge" as they can't be suspended from overhead tracks.
I think so. Tracks need to be placed on something for them to exist, so they can't just flow on their own, though that would be a nice simplistic approach to a monorail.

Kraetos seems to have the best material-saving approach, if you check out his current G3–W5 run near Old Towne. It's just another block added onto the side of the skyway. Has a very modern feel, walking between tracks or zooming along the edges in the sky...

EDIT: Or was this only a quick demo design? Should tracks go beside the skyway for where there are currently no projects, or does anyone suppose it makes more sense to build all stretches 10-15 above ground, as a sort of metal aqueduct?

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-05-05 at 09:54.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 10:21

I like the idea of building a rollercoaster!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-05, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Can someone warp from Nether to the main world? What about from the main world to Nether?
Completely unknown at this point. "Warping" is just moving you from your current coordinates to the coordinates of another player. Since there's no notion of which world you're in based on coordinates, this would have to be a wholly new implemented feature.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-05, 10:46

Quote:
I like the idea of building a rollercoaster!
Have you been to west Bridgeport lately?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-05, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Kraetos seems to have the best material-saving approach, if you check out his current G3–W5 run near Old Towne. It's just another block added onto the side of the skyway. Has a very modern feel, walking between tracks or zooming along the edges in the sky...
I can't take all the credit, I think it was mostly bbskys idea to put the tracks on the side. But it makes the most sense because it saves materials, has a nice view, and it means the stations can be easily constructed underneath the skyway. (See G3-the way to my castle-for how I've built the station.)

arteggio

2011-05-05, 13:30

Ah okay, well whether you, bbsky, whoever, it's a pretty cool and material efficient design. I like the skyway being winged by tracks, and the sub-walk stations are a good fit too.

Shall this be the universal design that we'll try to stick with throughout the world?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-05, 14:07

Quote:
Shall this be the universal design that we'll try to stick with throughout the world?
That depends: does everyone approve of this design? Or are there more suggestions?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 14:13

What about collisions between minecar riders?
If collisions are possible will we be using 2 tracks per walkway, left-hand drive, American style? (opposing traffic is on the lefthand side)

I was considering running my track beneath my walkway, but I like the out-rigger nature you're discussing.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-05, 14:19

Quote:
... will we be using 2 tracks per walkway, left-hand drive, American style? (opposing traffic is on the lefthand side)
Exactly. The track on the skyway I set up won't launch you from the left side, only the right.

On collisions: if they occur, nobody takes damage, but then you're stuck on the track and you have to run and jump through a booster to get started again. So I figured that having two-way tracks was just easier.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-05 at 20:32.
arteggio

2011-05-05, 15:04

I'm currently working on a private station in Ravonia and learning this rail business along the way. I'm setting it up with two rails, copying the button-boosters you've done, Kraetos. I'm also using the American driving style, with incoming/opposing traffic to one's left and outgoing/ahead to the right. I think it's a good idea to set this as a standard, if no one opposes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 15:09

If, say, I'm mining up near Olde Towne and want to send a load of cobble down to the beach on its own, is that a thing? Automated transmission of quantity goods from one location to the other?

Captain Drew on Twitter
arteggio

2011-05-05, 15:17

Quote:
If, say, I'm mining up near Olde Towne and want to send a load of cobble down to the beach on its own, is that a thing? Automated transmission of quantity goods from one location to the other?

Sounds like you're looking for the storage cart!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-05, 15:26

Quote:

It's possible, but storage minecarts tracks require 4x as many boosters. Where a manned minecart will move for 32 blocks with no assistance after receiving power, and unmanned one will only make it 8.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-05 at 15:36.
¡Damned!

2011-05-05, 15:50

Right. Delivery of goods might be better served by a Powered Minecart pushing Storage Minecart(s).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 15:50

It's not a terribly long run, so it might work out. The biggest challenge will be reworking my encampment for public use.
arteggio

2011-05-05, 17:51

I'm currently working on the R4 area. Before I do any more, does anyone disagree with the following design approach, seen from below, for the 2-wide, glass-railed skyway variant (of which there is a lot)?

Technically I'm following the same scheme that Kraetos used on the 4-wide skyway, but I've always liked using the glass railing to better see what's over-under the rail. Having a track there inhibits the view a bit.

I'm building myself a station at the NW corner of Ravonia to learn all this stuff, and have taken the liberty of bringing the Red line that's north of R4 down through the north wall and shooting it back out through the west wall (to eventually head south), simply meaning that the Red line won't be straight N–S. A normal sub-skyway station wouldn't fit there anyway, and I didn't want to get all fancy with track switching.

I'm not sure if anyone else knew this yet, but the optimal amount and spacing for powered rails on an incline seems to be 4 powered rails followed by four rails, repeat. I was going to do something like powered rail, rail, powered rail, rail, etc, but I don't think it will work.

Anyone know who's little castle sits between W1 and R4?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-05, 19:28

Quote:
Anyone know who's little castle sits between W1 and R4?
The signs on it say it belongs to....Jesus.

So, um, pray?

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-05-05, 19:39

Its atariboy's house. His skin is Jesus.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-05, 22:28

to arteggio:

I see a problem with your incline design: if two carts are passing each other in opposite directions on that little section they will lose all momentum.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-06, 00:10

A few of you have contacted me about conjuring resources for rails. Rather than pick any individuals to bless with the dark magic, I have created a Federal Stimulus Dropoff Box in the post office and filled it to the brim with rails and boosters. I leave these to you to divide amongst yourselves.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.