User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Call of Duty
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 14:57

Anyone played "C.O.D" yet? Essentially it is version 2 of Medal of Honor, and the few comments I've read have been very positive. Thoughts on graphics quality, gameplay quality or other important factors are welcome. I'm particularly interested in the quality of online gameplay as that's almost always what I tend to choose when I game.

I am leaning towards buying this instead of another expansion pack for MOHAA (Breakthough).

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-26, 15:12

Buy it... it's great.

You will love the single player game.

I would not call it MOH v.2,
more like what MOH could have been given a few more months of devl time. And does not really handel like MOH either.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 16:58

Greetings. Thanks for the reply and positive comments; sounds like a winner. How is the online multiplayer stuff?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-26, 17:51

Online game play is great!

You can really get into it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 17:54

Mmmm. Vintage online smackdowns... nothing quite like them. So when you say it doesn't handle like MOHAA, do you mean the physics model is a little more juiced or something else? Please tell me it handles nothing like the new Unreal Tournament games... those things seem so fakey to me.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-26, 19:55

Well I will put it like this.

I was big into MOHAA and to me, MOHAA felt like WWII meets CS (in the way the game feels, not it's game play). Things are a little more box-like and unpolished, with less curves and special effects in MOHAA. The game still rocks! I spent many of nights fucking over my social life playing MOHAA and I don't regret it.

Now with COD, it feels much more polished. Maps look great in comparison to MOHAA and unlike MOHAA, which can make you feel isolated, COD surrounds you in constant battle. Left. Right. And center. MOHAA was very linear objective based, and even in it's online games the game play was really straight forward. COD is not so linear, you will find yourself having to take things slow and careful, often backtracking, because you never know what will happen next.

One major difference... in MOHAA you are a hero and don't depend on any CPU controlled friendlies, in COD you are not, and things are a wee bit more realistic. While your fighting is the only way to advance in the game, your buddies are very helpful too. If you rush into a fire fight alone, you will die... but if you work with your squad, they can make the difference.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 20:11

M-m-must re-s-s-ist urge... to make Amazon p-p-purchase... must...wait.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-05-26, 21:15

Make the purchase

I remember playing it on the PC months ago, and it was very good. I like the graphics style, and the gameplay was very good. Didn't try online gameplay, but the single player game is lots of fun. Sometimes it's a little hard to find your way though... you might constantly be killing people but never quite find the right direction to go.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-27, 01:05

Just got my copy. Wow. This game rocks. I used to kind of like MOHAA (hated Spearhead, stupid crap game ran slow on any hardware I threw at it), but now MOHAA looks like it was programmed by a bunch of slackers just out of high school. Call Of Duty is not only a much BETTER game overall, it also has more action (less sneaking around like a Bond game), a much wider selection of weapons, the use of actual thought, and it runs much smoother and faster on my machine.

I like that there are a lot of decisions you have to make throughout the game. It's not like MOHAA where the entire thing is twitch-based. You can only carry two large weapons at once, plus a pistol and ten grenades. Unlike MOHAA, you can switch between different types of weapons throughout a mission. You can get very low on ammo because each gun uses a specific type. It's not just pistol, rifle, SMG, and MG ammo anymore. If you have a Thompson SMG, you have to pick up Thompson ammo, and Germans generally don't drop much of that so you'll probably have to ditch the Thompson for an MP40 at some point.

My machine is pretty powerful for gaming - 1.33 GHz G4, 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce 3 graphics card. It runs the game very smoothly at moderate settings (800x600, most graphics options set to the middle). With maximum settings at 1024x768, it's very slow, but after moving the texture quality from "Extra" to "High" it sped up a lot. Just don't overdo it on the graphics settings and it'll run great. Even an older system should be fairly smooth as long as you have it at really low settings. It's based on the Quake III engine so it can run on older hardware pretty well as long as you keep the graphics simple. It still looks good even at low settings. And even I had to set it to 640x480 and minimum everything for the Stalingrad mission... that one is huge. I cranked them up a bit once I got past the first part, but the beginning of the mission is very intense and demanding.

One problem I'm having is whenever it runs in full screen mode, it sets the monitor's refresh rate to something around 60 Hz. I have no idea why that is. It's hard on my eyes. I've been playing it in a window (800x600 window with the screen resolution set to 1024x768 at 85 Hz), but I really want fullscreen mode to work properly. Anyone else have the same problem?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-27, 08:31

That is a little odd. Is 60Hz the only refresh rate your card can handle at that resolution maybe? In general this sounds like a much more fleshed out and interesting game than MOHAA; I'm all over it. Just have to pay a few bills first.

SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-05-27, 08:42

[left]I have heard some pretty good things about COD aswell. I didn't realise it was out yet. Looks like I got something more to keep my ADD busy now.
[/left]

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-27, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
That is a little odd. Is 60Hz the only refresh rate your card can handle at that resolution maybe? In general this sounds like a much more fleshed out and interesting game than MOHAA; I'm all over it. Just have to pay a few bills first.

Not at all. I have a very high quality monitor, but even crappy 15" CRT iMacs can do 1024x768 at 75 Hz. Mine will do 640x480 and 800x600 at 120 Hz and 1024x768 at 100 Hz. Maybe it thinks I'm using an LCD, or maybe it's a problem because I have a flashed GeForce 3 rather than a made for Mac card. But I'm not sure why - technically, the computer shouldn't be able to tell the difference since the firmware is the exact same.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about your original post and your comments towards MoH... totally true. CoD is a grown-up version of MoH (which, with its one-man army gameplay, is just above RtCW in realism). It's just so much better. The easiest difficulty level is a lot like MoH, but the hardest is very, very hard.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-27, 11:34

Well, I do remember some MOHAA levels that were just brutal at even average difficulty. Getting onto beach and up the bunker at Normandy was a bear... but in general I do agree it had sort of a "Golden Eye" type feel to it, which was a little annoying (at least w/ single player mode).

As far as the online maps, are they much less linear than MOHAA's maps also, or do they pare them down so there aren't people running all over creation / the game doesn't take forever?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-27, 11:59

Thing about the Normandy beach landing in MOHAA was that it was all scripted. You jump out of the boat, take cover, wait for the machine guns to stop, run forward and take cover again, repeat until you get to the next objective. Once I got it down I managed to go through and only take two or three hits on the way up the beach. The Call Of Duty mission in Stalingrad is a lot like that, and there are some parts where you have to just follow some guy. At the same time, it seels a lot more dangerous than MOHAA, and there are plenty of situations where there are MG42s that you have to figure out how to take on without dying. Leaning around a corner and sniping isn't good enough in 90% of cases. The use of flanking maneuvers and suppressive fire are heavily employed in COD.

Can't comment on the multiplayer since I never really played much multiplayer MOHAA, and I haven't gotten around to trying COD multiplayer yet. I always thought that was what UT 2k4 was for.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-27, 12:16

acK! I can't stand the new UT games... the graphics are obviously much more advanced than the old version but the physics / feel of the game just sucks IMO. Part of it is the ambient audio too... even the footsteps sound goofy. Major plasticized... that's why I liked MOHAA. Even though the graphics were pretty weak unless you had then cranked all the way up, the feel of the game was just much easier to get into IMO.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-28, 10:44

DEMO AVAILABLE

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15071
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-28, 11:45

Figured out how to set refresh rate. Hold down "command" when opening CoD. A nice poster over at MacNN told me about it so I'm relaying it to anyone else who has the problem.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-28, 14:53

Thanks. Just got done trying it out. Definitely more polished and realistic than MOHAA. It's hard to get used to the slightly different movement options, but once you get into it it's pretty cool. Graphics seemed to handle OK on G5 with everything full-on at 1024x768 (other than the Extra detail setting for the characters).

Kinda wished they'd have added one online demo level too just to see what it's like, but that's OK. I'll definitely be making a purchase soon.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-30, 16:48

Nice Demo! It was amazing that I got scared when I turned around and couldn't see my buddies! I thought they were all dead (but they were just behind a wall - heh).

One question... COD ReadMe:

Quote:
Normally, when playing Call of Duty on a widescreen monitor, the game may stretch to fill the entire width of the monitor (in some versions of the MacOS, it leaves black bands). To run the game at a widescreen resolution, bring down the CoD console and enter the following commands:

"seta r_customwidth #" where # is the width (X) of the resolution you wish to use.
"seta r_customheight #" where # is the height (Y) of the resolution you wish to use.
"seta r_mode -1"

After doing this, you'll need to restart the video subsystem for the change to take effect. Do this with the following console command: "vid_restart"
How do I bring up the console? I want to change the resolution to 1280 x 854.

Thanks

bouncy bouncy
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-05-30, 16:55

90% of the time in games, the console is accessed by hitting the ` key, right next to the escape or 1 key
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-05-31, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Hold down "command" when opening CoD.
Thats odd. In almost every other game I have played you hold down shit to bring up the boot variables.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-31, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
90% of the time in games, the console is accessed by hitting the ` key, right next to the escape or 1 key
Hmmm... it even says that in the ReadMe

Quote:
Making the most of Call of Duty on the Mac
Call of Duty supports several features that take advantage of all the Mac has to offer. Here are some ways to maximize your enjoyment of the game on your Mac. Some of these involve entering commands into the Call of Duty console. You can bring down this console by hitting tilde (`) on US keyboards. On foreign keyboards, it is likely the key found above the TAB key. For these console commands, do not enter the quotes around the command itself.
(Missed that). But I STILL can't get the console to come up on my "foreign keyboard". Can anyone else bring up the console on a PB with the COD Demo? Thanks

bouncy bouncy
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-31, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEchoes
...hold down shit...
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-31, 14:56

Yah that sounds messy. :LOL: <-- (this NEEDS to be added!)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-31, 15:10

I do feel this new forum of ours is somewhat smiley-deficient, but I'm sure the Admins have plenty of other stuff to do first... meantime, I looking forward to the day when I can join you guys on the .Org C.o.D server for some lead-laden fun.

We are going to have a server, right??