AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is my graphics card dead/dying?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is my graphics card dead/dying?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-31, 21:42

This is my screen after erasing the "MacintoshHD" SSD (which I named QuicksilverSD) completely while booting from an installer flash drive.

It is a 2016 MBP and last I checked it did work (with external monitors) in closed lid mode. The primary screen though... I can't get past this right now. There is an area across the top about 150% of the normal menu bar that does dynamically update. Everything below it though stays ghosted like this with the funky ghosting around the edge. Kinda nice for a winter frost effect... just not very productive.

So safe to say the graphics card (which is integrated of course) is jacked? Radeon 455 from what I saw earlier today.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-31, 22:02

I just did a chat with Apple Support and they had me try to go into Safe Mode by holding down Shift while booting. It changed nothing on my screen.

I want a Mac Studio anyway, but not until it has M3 Max in it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-01-01, 00:19

That does have the appearance of a dying GPU or at least a graphics related problem. It could also just be the common issue with notebooks, the cable that runs from the lower section through the hinge to the LCD panel could be going. Usually if the panel itself is going you get lines through the image, doesn't look like it's doing that at least.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-02, 23:33

I guess it could be the cable. They did rehab work on it not horribly long ago replacing the battery again. I could dig up how long ago it was but I'm sure it was early last year.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-03, 19:37

I think it converted itself into that TV set from The Twilight Zone.

Should be fine after you solve the riddle.

Or, it could be a dying GPU or cable. Although I showed it to the techs here at the shop and they've got nothing, other than the owner thought it looked like either squeeze or heat damage to the display. Did you sit on it and fart?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-03, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I think it converted itself into that TV set from The Twilight Zone.

Should be fine after you solve the riddle.

Or, it could be a dying GPU or cable. Although I showed it to the techs here at the shop and they've got nothing, other than the owner thought it looked like either squeeze or heat damage to the display. Did you sit on it and fart?
I didn’t sit and fart, though laser apes might have gotten a hold of it.

In reality is has been sitting on my desk 24/7 with a few exceptions where I took it up to my bedroom. So, no physical damage has happened to it at all. This actually started happening over the last couple of weeks but would resolve itself. I thought it was a glitch from running bad patches form OpenCore Legacy Patcher but it appears to be physical in nature vs software.

I mean, the picture of the screen is after erasing the SSD and yet it still shows the progress of the erase in it. I thought about plugging it into my dock and trying it out there but never got to it with all the other things I’ve had going on this week. The GB appointment is for tomorrow evening, so I guess I’ll see what they come up with at this point.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-03, 23:42

As I’m sitting here thinking this through it has to be the graphics card some how. The picture is retaining the old screen data from while I erased the SSD. There is nothing on this machine right now. It is a clear slate and yet it shows the screen of me erasing it. That has to be something with the graphics card retaining that memory… not a cable.

Edit: For giggles I just turned on the MBP and the screen is still showing the same thing, though brighter. Tomorrow before I head to the Apple Store I’ll take a picture of it. I’ll also test it connected to my dock so I can see if it works with the external monitors at all. Until I wiped it, the systems displayed external monitors just fine. No flicker or artifacts at all.

Last edited by turtle : 2024-01-03 at 23:54.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-04, 11:10

If it’s a GPU, or GPU memory issue, you are SOL. That’s a motherboard replacement, likely not worth it if you are getting a new machine soon. If it’s been declared vintage, they won’t have replacement parts anyway. 2016 is likely getting close to that, check Mac tracker.

Cannot remember, is the 2016 one if the ones that can switch from the IGP to the dedicated GPU? If it is, you might be able to tell if that’s the issue by forcing it to switch GPUs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-04, 14:23

Well I am perplexed on this one.

This is closed lid through my dock with a fresh install. Both monitors are driven just fine. If I open the lid I'm seeing the same "frosting" effect starting at the bottom edge and then progressively getting worse. The screen is much darker now but still has the same progress windows in the picture I originally showed.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-04, 17:11

Then you have a dead display. So, functionally, you have a very thin desktop computer.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-04, 17:31

Yup, dying LCD panel for sure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-05, 08:55

Well it saved me from going to the Apple Store. Is that something that can be repaired (actual parts available not aftermarket)? I mean, even $500 to "refresh" this would be better than $1000 for an Air for my kids.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-05, 13:04

Yes, it can be done by you. It's a fun repair for those inclined to tear down the entire computer. You really want to use an Apple display if you can find one used, which shouldn't be too much trouble.

We're encountering an increasing number of issues with 3rd-party displays installed by unknowing customers, so buyer beware.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-05, 13:48

I am the guy to swapped a logic board on a clamshell so I could have to "modern" logic board in my Key Line clamshell.

I might have to do this... for now though, I'm install Sonoma on the MBP. Well trying to at least. Since the MBP knows it is a laptop it wants to do everything on the integrated screen first, then externals. I'm fighting through that though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-08, 16:58

So I've been working today using my MBP as a desktop and it is working fine with Sonoma too. There are still glitchy points where it knows it is a laptop but I'm getting around that I think.

Hopefully this will last me until I can get the Studio with M3 Max.