User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Dead/Dying Hard Drive?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dead/Dying Hard Drive?
shamansanchez

2006-01-08, 19:36

A few days ago, my hard drive started making a ping kind of noise every once in a while, and then started to make a kind of whining noise. After that I tried to open Disk Utility to check the SMART status, but it froze. I turned my PowerBook off, and backed everything up with the Target Disk mode. I had to restart every couple of minutes, as it would start making the noise and stop transferring. It would work again for a while once I restarted. I think it only happens when the hard drive gets hot, as my PowerBook has been shut down for a while, and it seems to be working OK now, and the SMART status is still Verified. (?) Should I still take in to the Apple Store to get it checked out? I still have AppleCare, so if it really is dying I should be able to get it replaced.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-08, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamansanchez
Should I still take in to the Apple Store to get it checked out?
Yes.

SMART status is a good early warning sign but it's not always totally accurate. If your drive is clearly dead or dying you should get it replaced. It'll be under warranty.
shamansanchez

2006-01-08, 20:24

Thanks. I'm just kind of worried that since it seems to be working OK now, I'll get there and they won't see anything wrong.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-08, 20:33

The SMART status or the hard drive itself? Is the HD actually working okay now?

I've been having a few recurring problems with my own external hard drive... but instead of having to deal with Apple support I'm just going to back everything up to DVDs and then ship it off to NewEgg for an RMA. I'll be out a few bucks for shipping but they generally replace your stuff promptly and without making a stink about stuff that they declare "not broken."
shamansanchez

2006-01-08, 22:00

I figured there'd be a better chance of them replacing it if the SMART status was failing, but I think I'll take it anyway. It seems like it's working fine now, but I don't really want to take any chances. With my luck, I'd put all my stuff back on the drive, just to have it would fail completely.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-08, 22:18

Don't rely on the SMART status. As Luca says and I have experienced it is not that reliable...

If you have a problem with your drive (even if you suspect it may just be a file system corruption) backup, and *then* look at options....

An definitely backup (first) if you are going to give it to anyone else to look at...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-01-09, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
An definitely backup (first) if you are going to give it to anyone else to look at...
What he said.