AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple to take a breather after Tiger!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple to take a breather after Tiger!!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-19, 19:08

Apple plans on taking a breather after the release of Tiger and break from its "release a year" quota.

Does this mean Tiger will be good enough to hold us over? What is Apple up to? Can we expect OSXI as the next release after Tiger?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16001

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-19, 19:44

man, i'm actually pretty dang happy with jaguar, not a lot of major improvements i need at this point.

i would be good for them to slow down some IMO, and just plug away at bug fixes, and the next big thing under wraps.

considering the rate of "adoption" of OSX ideas into longhorn, keeping stuff quiet for a while would be a great way to blow the doors of longhorn when it's finally released. they're basically playing catch-up right now with X, give apple two years to pull ahead, and who knows what UI magic they'll come up with.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-05-19, 20:31

Yea! I can stop dropping $120 a year now.
Tiger

2004-05-19, 22:18

oh jesus, I will need to change jobs then ...
addabox
Veteran Member

2004-05-20, 01:38

Once you get the stability, feature set, and snappiness hashed out, I think it's not such a bad thing to throttle back.

As MS has shown us, feature bloat is the mind killer; until Apple is ready with another paradigm shift I'll be happy to use this very spiffy OS to support the software that Apple will continue to churn out. On the bitchin' machines that I suppose will eventually arrive.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

Last edited by addabox : 2004-05-20 at 01:44.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-20, 02:36

Yeah I think Apple has done a great job of optimising the code (speeding it up) as well as adding functionality to the OS over the years, but they should be wary of feature bloat and giving MS too much of a heads-up as to their next designs.

I think a break would be good - then they could turn their efforts onto further optimising the iApps and giving LOGIC an Apple GUI overhaul.

[EDIT: typos - hate 'em]

All I want is a simple life
twitter
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-20, 02:41

I think they should continue development on OSX, but maybe stop releasing it as a $120 upgrade each year. Just put it out on software update, keep it goin like that before they begin development on OSXI

Come waste your time with me
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-20, 02:52

Actually, I should correct myself - I didn't mean a STOP WORK break... more of a break in the annual - charge $120 - release schedule. By all means, keep working on the OS, but as DMB... says, release the updates on Software Update.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
VOX BARBARA

2004-05-20, 05:54

just two other links of great depths

ars, of course

which point out to

eweek

best
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-05-20, 09:34

Taking a break after Tiger is fine with me. The OS has already been very well developed over the past couple of years, and Tiger will only solidify its position. Smaller, targeted (and hopefully, free) updates would be just fine for a couple of years. I think that it might also help Apple concentrate its development resources elsewhere, where they are more immediately needed.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-20, 09:43

It makes sense for the most part. When OS X was first released, most observers figured that maybe the third or fourth iteration would be the point at which Apple would branch the tree for the next major version (as opposed to upgrade, which .1, .2 and .3 have been).

10.4 will probably make some final usability enhancements to the Finder, networking and a couple other core areas, will polish the interface a bit more... and from there it will be a couple years until OS XI (or whatever they decide to call it) will surface. I suspect they'll be much more secretive about what goes into that vs. the way they handle current upcoming releases. Namely, previewing them at WWDC and on their web site.

Meantime, I'm sure we'll get plenty of 10.4.x updates as required to address bugs and things like new peripheral and removable media compatibility.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-05-21, 13:14

Moving to Mac OS X!
(ah, it's been a while since I've said that)

If this is true, I really *really* hope Apple can manage to get the metadata system and some Finder updates into Mac OS X before backing off. Though, I imagine metadata is one of the major paradign-shifting changes that Apple would rather hold onto for a major update later in the future. Plus, that would give time to do further testing and research into the best implementation.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-21, 13:25

Yeah... personally I don't see the robust metadata people have been hoping for making into 10.4. That's something that would more logically go into the next major version so that they can have more time to stabilize it and test it with vendor apps and the like.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ZO

2004-05-25, 08:25

I'd imagine Tiger being the last "OS X as we know it" and then have some really deep changes for "OS XI Breakfast Cereal" line

OS X XI.0 Capt'n Crunch

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-05-25, 11:59

What fundamental new direction could/would an 'OS XI' take - comparable to what happened in the move from OS 9 to X? Any theories...rumours?
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2005-04-04, 08:35

I personally expect there to be a 10.5, and possibly a 10.6. My perception of that article is that they're simply slowing down the development, not completely stoping it. OS XI I don't believe will be out for awhile, simply because X has alot of life still in it.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-04, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I personally expect there to be a 10.5, and possibly a 10.6. My perception of that article is that they're simply slowing down the development, not completely stoping it. OS XI I don't believe will be out for awhile, simply because X has alot of life still in it.
Damn! And I had next Thursday down as the day this thread would be resurrected (after a year) in the office pool. Looks like I owe somebody $5.

And now the on-topic part of my post. I agree with you that there will be plenty of version 10.xs coming down the pipeline. However, there will be no such thing as "Mac OS XI" as far as I'm concerned: the X, as many know, refers the the UNIX underpinnings of the operating system, and it doubles as a pun on "version 10" (X = 10 in Roman numeral nomenclature).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-04, 09:47

I don't think Apple is slowing down development at all. They just want to allow each revision to be more of an overhaul, and more worth the $129.

Honestly, going from Jaguar to Panther was not really a huge leap. There were a few nice features, but if they had waited an extra six months it would have been much more worth it. Tiger is a step in the right direction. After Tiger, it could be two years before there's another major OS X release. And you know what? That's fine. It'll be really nice once 10.5 does come out, because it'll incorporate more changes and be more worth your money.

Plus, this means we won't have to deal with n00bs asking if their brand new Mac will run the latest OS or not. At least, not as often.

"Will 10.5 run too slow on my I-book???/"
"can i put 10.5 on a i_mak"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-04, 09:58

Yeah, quality not quantity.

If Tiger is as "all that" as everyone's making it out to be, then so what? It's getting to where it's pretty damn dialed-in, so if 10.5 Mountain Lion doesn't come out until 2007, what features would we be dying without?

There will be plenty of x.x.1 updates, as always, throughout Tiger.

Jaguar got X to a day-to-day usable state. Panther really improved on that. Looks like Tiger is taking that bar up a notch.

Can't wait!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-04-04, 22:50

A breather is fine. But they can't stop.

Stopping the continual improvement of the OS is what led to the OS debacles of the early 90's. At one time, it was said that Apple had only two people working on OS development.

Apple put its faith in radical revolutions like Pink and Copland that never yielded anything substantial.

They can push it to two years, but there should always be a roadmap for what comes next in the OS and active development should not stop.

Also, should Redmond actually end up shipping a real OS in the middle of next year, it would be nice to have a free OS update, or very distracting hardware product, to launch at the same time.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-04-04, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
Also, should Redmond actually end up shipping a real OS in the middle of next year, it would be nice to have a free OS update, or very distracting hardware product, to launch at the same time.
Apple always has something awesome up its sleeve. I doubt it'll be an OS update, but if they come out with a Tablet Mac (or something of that sort) the week before Longhorn, it would take off a lot of Microsoft's attention.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-05, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Apple always has something awesome up its sleeve. I doubt it'll be an OS update, but if they come out with a Tablet Mac (or something of that sort) the week before Longhorn, it would take off a lot of Microsoft's attention.
I'm sure
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 07:05

i think Apple needs to really focus on totally replacing MS Office with an Apple equivilant.

Another area to focus is further integration of the Apple computer with home multimedia devices.

Maybe make an Airport express that can wirelessly stream HD in addition to digital audio. Finally make it possible to keep all your DVDs in a digital library.

Make it so you can access all your photos, movies and music wirelessly through your entertainment system.
telekon

2005-04-05, 07:27

I think taking a breather from OSX development is a good idea. Gives them time to fix / improve in 10.4.x updates, but more importantly IMO it gives them time to concentrate on their hardware line-ups, predominately PowerMacs and iMacs. Both lines, whilst offering good value, no longer offer great value when you look at advances in Windoze based machine technologies. Apple seriously "upped the ante" with the Mac mini, but need to make inroads with the other offerings to get buyers just as excited, especially pro users looking for a "workhorse" machine. I am looking to upgrade my tower, but the current PMG5 line-up doesn't get me "chomping at the bit" and neither does the current iMac, as beautiful as it is..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-05, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by telekon
more importantly IMO it gives them time to concentrate on their hardware line-ups
This really doesn't make any sense, though.

Unless Apple's going to lay off some personnel from the Mac OS X development team to get extra money to throw at the hardware R&D team, there's no benefit in this. You can't just reassign a software developer to magically become a hardware developer any more than you can tell a brain surgeon to start being an auto mechanic.

Software and hardware are generally developed by independent teams.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
telekon

2005-04-05, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This really doesn't make any sense, though.

Unless Apple's going to lay off some personnel from the Mac OS X development team to get extra money to throw at the hardware R&D team, there's no benefit in this. You can't just reassign a software developer to magically become a hardware developer any more than you can tell a brain surgeon to start being an auto mechanic.

Software and hardware are generally developed by independent teams.
I meant, Apple as a company, not the idividual teams.
Ocelot

2005-04-05, 13:44

Apple cannot stop development of OS X, they can't even slow down; if they do, Microsoft will sail by them. Open GL still needs major work, and so do other features like a resolution independent display and other cool stuff we haven't even thought of yet.

Not to worry, because it is not consistent with Steve Jobs' personality for him to order OS X development to slow down. I'd find this report more believable if it had the OS X development team taking a short vacation, and then returning to the grindstone at 110% of what they've been doing. Jobs is not one to harbor slackers in his midst.

Alternatively, Apple is doomed and thus are laying off the OS X development team since OS X is "good enough".
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 13:49

They won't be slowing down development, they'll be slowing down major releases. ie, increasing the amount of time between 10.4 and 10.5.

Expect to see a nice steady path of 10.4.x upgrades, some of which will be not insubstantial at all. 10.4 lays the groundwork for some serious advances in the next couple of years.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-05, 14:17

I'm really excited about the addition of CoreData with the accompanying enhancements in XCode. I was reading about it at developer.apple.com today and holy cow! I can create E-R models, then drag-n-drop these models into IB to get starter UI stuff? Let CoreData handle all the object decoding/encoding? Built-in undo/redo? Wow, I'm totally stoked about all this cool tech. coming out in Tiger. It'll probably take a year before we start seeing apps truly using the power of the new APIs/Frameworks/Core* stuff to its fullest. I'm really stoked for the Tiger update. I'm also glad that Apple is giving 3rd party developers some time to really plumb the depths of Tiger before 10.5 comes onto the radar.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-04-05, 16:44

i think apple will take os X all the way through .9 . From .2 on has been like a .5 upgrade but they have just kept the X because it looks cool. That's what i think anyway

Comic sans sucks.
That is all