User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Jobs to iPhone Screw Job Victims: We're Sorry; Have a C Note.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jobs to iPhone Screw Job Victims: We're Sorry; Have a C Note.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-06, 16:51

So you see, alls well that ends well *cough*. Now Paul and others will have enough money to buy the medical supplies needed to heal their wounds. And by medical supplies I mean plenty of iTunes love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc

The company slashed the cost of the eight-gigabyte version of the phone - only available in the US - to $399.

But this earned the wrath of some customers who have paid full price since its launch two months ago.

Mr Jobs said the price cut was the right move - but offered those who had already bought it a $100 voucher.

...into the light of a dark black night.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-06, 16:56

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...&postcount=108
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 16:56

Man, I'm just getting all the shout-outs today! Kickaha, Moogs, etc.

I've not even been that outrageous or tantrum-throwing, compared to some others.

But I'll cherish my $100, you betcha! That buys a lot of Peter Frampton songs!

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-09-06, 16:58

do u feel like i do?

i'll be happy with my c-note too

g
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 17:07

Hum I have my eye on a new keyboard.

Should give those who bought a 8GB model the full $200.00, but hey I'll take what they give to ease the pain.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2007-09-06, 17:19

I think your all very lucky. Not only do we not even have the iPhone yet, but in the mobile industry, drastic price drops are nothing new.

One month a new model phone will cost you £100+ ontop of your 18 month contract. After 2 months when the initial phone hype has died a bit, the same phone would be under £50 (or even free) on a lesser contract.

You pay the premium to have bragging rights, that's the way the tech industry has always been, same applies for gfx cards, cpu's, etc.

I think Apple have been more than generous.

Now launch the damn thing in the UK already...

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-09-06, 17:31

i agree...i thought it a bit large and soon for a drop, but was willing to eat it and smile...now i smile bigger with a rebate

g
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-06, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Man, I'm just getting all the shout-outs today! Kickaha, Moogs, etc.

I've not even been that outrageous or tantrum-throwing, compared to some others.

But I'll cherish my $100, you betcha! That buys a lot of Peter Frampton songs!

Apple said the credit cannot be used for music.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-09-06, 18:09

But can I buy an iTunes gift card? It is in the store is it not? It seems kinda lame if they limit it that way but I will still take it that is for sure. I am glad they did it even though it wasn't necessary it is a very nice goodwill gesture.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 18:22

Yeah, I don't see anything from stopping you from buying iTunes cards.

Seeing you would need a code or a credit card # to put money in the iTunes music store, Apple is trying to avoid all that..

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 18:24

Well that's fine. I can just buy the cards. Or something else entirely.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-09-06, 18:56

Quote:
Well that's fine. I can just buy the cards. Or something else entirely.
I'm glad for all you guys that Apple is coming through here with some nice customer service. Free OS X!!!

+29 dollars and tax.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-09-06, 19:39

Good news. Just the sort of thing that makes Apple stand out from the crowd, in a good way.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-09-06, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Good news. Just the sort of thing that makes Apple stand out from the crowd, in a good way.
I haven't really seen the crowd do a similar price gouging maneuver in a while.

You all are also conveniently ignoring Jobs morning comments before the voucher was announced. He was less than sympathetic.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 19:48

He's still less than sympathetic in the "open letter" with the talk about how this is the way technology works. I don't know if he's caving to complaints or if this was intended all along, but either way it's a nice move on Apple's part and surely not something that was expected or even necessary. Not saying I won't take it though; like Messiahtosh said, $29 Leopard is pretty nice.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-06, 20:06

Fake Steve: "This comes with the $100 rebate"

Over the top as usual, but with some of the comments I've read, it certainly rings true.

Also, Gruber linked to this piece:
Quote:
But now the self esteem kicks in. He’s no longer joe cool on the block. In fact, any schmuck with $200 less can buy one and laugh at him.

That is why people are upset. Being laughed at, poked fun it. It was all good as long as they had the phone that others could not afford. Now more people can and those early adopters are less special.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-09-06, 20:45

Can anyone please clarify for this lazy banana if the rebate was planned or is a concussion to the lashback?

Also, I wonder how people with $399 4 GB iPhones are feeling now that they're holding an obsolete product (only 1 month before obsolence... that's pretty impressive. )
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 20:48

Don't you mean $499 4GB iPhones?

Going over this thread and a couple of others (both here and elsewhere), I have to say: this announcement sure did bring out the snarky, prick side of a lot of you. I guarantee that not one AN iPhone owner has showed his ass as much the past 24 hours or as have the non-iPhone owners taking perverse pleasure in yesterday's developments (and the ensuing rebate/credit announcement).

It's like Dickhead Central here today. I'll try my best to exhibit a bit of empathy the next time the shoe is on the other foot, but I'm not making any promises (I've jotted down a few names)...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 20:54

Quote:
I have to say: this announcement sure did bring out the snarky, prick side of a lot of you.
Whaddaya mean 'brought out', pilgrim?

I'll be honest, I don't get doing a Nelson "HA-HA!" from the sidelines and wallowing in other people's misery like a pig in mud. It's just stupid.

But I also don't get whining about it... those folks I'll take a potshot at with relish. Maybe some mustard. Dash of Tabasco.

That t-shirt is just beautiful.
chucker

2007-09-06, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Can anyone please clarify for this lazy banana if the rebate was planned or is a concussion to the lashback?
That it may have been planned is pure speculation. For all we know, they may have come up with it in response to the harsh criticism, or to prevent a PR blunder, or possibly even because of the analyst/stock reaction.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 21:04

I tried to keep my whining to a focused, dull roar. Actually, I was pretty cool with it all by yesterday evening. I realized "that's how it goes". But I used the living shit out of my iPhone last night, just for good measure (I called about eleventy-teen people, texted, surfed, answered all my e-mail in bed, took pictures of my kitchen and guitar, tried out about six different wallpapers, checked the weather about a dozen times in all sorts of cities, etc.

Today's developments were certainly nice, but I really didn't expect/demand it. And I wasn't going to make trouble or defect from Apple or anything.

The computer thing is a bit easier to predict (iPods too)...we've had years to kinda detect patterns and cycles, and we know some places that provide fairly solid rumors and info. But this phone thing is just a new, different segment for Apple, so it's seeming like some different rules (than the ones we're all used to) might apply...more frequent updates, large-ish price drops, etc.? Just something we weren't quite prepared for (boy, I am now!).

Cool thing is, I don't have to think about any of this for another 2-3 years...I'm set in the phone department. And I don't care what comes in January and beyond, spec, price and feature-wise. Two months just kinda deflated me a bit, but it's certainly not the worst thing that's ever happened. I'm officially okay with it all, even without the $100 rebate thing.

The $100 will come in handy. I'll find something to buy with it, I'm sure.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-09-06 at 21:24.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-06, 21:08

the t-shirt is great.

yeah, people have been a little too sensitive about this on both sides of the fence. we need to have a wee bit more empathy all around, huh?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-09-06, 21:10

You can have my sympathy, but you can't have my empathy. Sorry.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 21:16

You can have my empathy when you pry it from my dead cold brain matter! Rar!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 21:18

Oops, did I use the wrong word? I do that every now and then...

I always get sympathy and empathy mixed-up (but they're similar, right?).

Whatever the right one is, you can spare it. Goobers.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 21:21

There have been times I've been screwed in the past where I didn't even get a dinner, much less $100

I'm thinking Steve has class.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 21:23

Quote:
Whatever the right one is, you can spare it. Goobers.
No I can't, I'm saving up for when iPhone Rev B comes out, and y'all are really screwed.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 21:26

There's a good chance Rev. B is coming out next week...16GB and $179.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 21:28

With anti-gravity and endless cheap clean power.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-06, 21:30

empathy = ability to understanding or feel how someone else feels

sympathy = the expression of that understanding

in other words, people need to be more empathetic and show more sympathy. i just was refreshing myself on all this via the inline Mac OS X dictionary. I couldn't remember what exactly each meant either.