User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Possible Stupid Question: iPod mini color reduction?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Possible Stupid Question: iPod mini color reduction?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-01-15, 21:29

This might be a stupid question, but I'm a stupid person, so I'll post it anyway.

I recieved my latest Best Buy circular and they have the iPod mini listed in it (yay!), but they only show three colors (huh?). They only list the iPod mini as coming in silver, pink, or blue. If they only pictured those three colors, I wouldn't have a problem, but they literally say "Choose from pink, silver, or blue." followed by only three product numbers. I wouldn't normally think much of this, I guess, but I know that the gold and green iPm's are the least popular by quite a margin, and I was just wondering...maybe Apple expects to sell less iPod minis, now that the iPod shuffle is out, and so they reduced their color lineup accordingly? Or does Best Buy just sell/advertise the most popular colors?
defaultmike

2005-01-15, 21:47

I'd bet on the second option. I don't see why Apple would reduce the colors of the iPod
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-01-15, 21:53

I'm thinking it's that too...it's just that after Macworld an iPod mini color reduction seems more plausible then before (with the shuffle and all) , and the "discontinued" colors were the least popular, and in their ad Best Buy does act like pink, blue, and silver are the only iPod colors. Of course, they would, if those were the only colors they sold.

Well, at least I sorta thought this one through before I posted it...
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-16, 07:06

People who own green and gold minis would be rejoicing in the streets if Apple were to discontinue those models—they would become collectors items, able to be eBayed for a tidy sum methinks.

bouncy bouncy
Ã¥sen

2005-01-16, 07:53

I forget where, but I read on one of the rumour sites that Apple is apparently using 5 GB drives in current iPod minis, but firmware is restricting the usable volume to 4 GB. I was kinda expecting that MWSF would bump the mini to 5 GB. I was hoping that a couple more colours would be produced too. I want a 5 GB mini, in orange, please.

I gave a green mini to my sister for Christmas. It is gorgeous.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-16, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by åsen
I forget where, but I read on one of the rumour sites that Apple is apparently using 5 GB drives in current iPod minis, but firmware is restricting the usable volume to 4 GB. I was kinda expecting that MWSF would bump the mini to 5 GB. I was hoping that a couple more colours would be produced too. I want a 5 GB mini, in orange, please.

I gave a green mini to my sister for Christmas. It is gorgeous.
Until the Shuffle and Mac Mini start shipping, no other announcements will be made. Marketing says don't update too many things in the same line because it dulls the focus of the consumer. You want your customers very focused on as few things as possible because they have limited funds to spend. This is especially the case with new products vs updated products. Also too many overall announcements can so overwhelm the customer base as to turn off there buying impulse all together. Granted not many companies are affected by this. But Apple is one that must be very carefull in this regard and they are getting really good at milking the consumers.

Mile 1
nomorewindows

2005-01-16, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
This might be a stupid question, but I'm a stupid person, so I'll post it anyway.

I recieved my latest Best Buy circular and they have the iPod mini listed in it (yay!), but they only show three colors (huh?). They only list the iPod mini as coming in silver, pink, or blue. If they only pictured those three colors, I wouldn't have a problem, but they literally say "Choose from pink, silver, or blue." followed by only three product numbers. I wouldn't normally think much of this, I guess, but I know that the gold and green iPm's are the least popular by quite a margin, and I was just wondering...maybe Apple expects to sell less iPod minis, now that the iPod shuffle is out, and so they reduced their color lineup accordingly? Or does Best Buy just sell/advertise the most popular colors?
Went to Best Buy online a few minutes ago and they had all the mini colors; however, for the shuffle they didn't list any availability date. What's up with that?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-16, 15:39

Because right ow the only place you'll be able to get it is online and at the apple stores. Just like when the mini came out last year...