AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Student Developer vs. EDU Discount ?'s

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Student Developer vs. EDU Discount ?'s
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 19:21

If you have a mac and are able to email the information, you can fax it through the print dialog...
RC23

2005-02-03, 01:17

Do you have to pay tax with the student dev account?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-03, 02:06

Yes, all purchases through the Apple store include tax. This is simply complying with the letter of the law because Apple has a physical presence/outlet/something in every states. Don't like it? Write to your congress reps.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RC23

2005-02-03, 02:21

hmm, it is PRETTY lame that they didnt include the sales tax until after i made the purchase...

very clever apple.
ar1550

2005-02-03, 15:48

OK, so I received confirmation and my ADC account has been activated, via email at 12:30PM today. I faxed my information at 4:00PM on Tuesday, and re-faxed it today (Thursday) at 9:45AM (central times, btw). So, it either took 2 days, or 2 hours to activate my account, depending on whether or not the Tuesday fax actually went through. I'm placing my order now, then I have to run to the bank for a wire transfer (stupid check card limit).
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-03, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yes, all purchases through the Apple store include tax. This is simply complying with the letter of the law because Apple has a physical presence/outlet/something in every states. Don't like it? Write to your congress reps.
that is not correct. some states don't have the sales tax. and others apple has no presence whatsoever in and still charge tax. i don't know what the criteria is but i think the belief that they must charge tax if they have a physical presence in a state is an old myth. i think there is some other reason.
¡Damned!

2005-02-03, 16:13

Right. It's just a state tax thing.

Quote:
SALES TAX

Apple Store purchases will include sales tax based on the ship-to location and the sales tax rate in effect at the time of shipping. If you phone in your order, the Apple Store sales representative will provide the final dollar total of your order including tax and any applicable shipping charges at the time you place your order. If the sales tax rate for the state to which your order is being shipped changes before the product is shipped, the new tax rate in effect at the time of shipment will apply.
(Obviously if he's in one of the 5 states with no sales tax he wouldn't be charged anything.)
Doe

2005-02-03, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1550
OK, so I received confirmation and my ADC account has been activated, via email at 12:30PM today. I faxed my information at 4:00PM on Tuesday, and re-faxed it today (Thursday) at 9:45AM (central times, btw). So, it either took 2 days, or 2 hours to activate my account, depending on whether or not the Tuesday fax actually went through. I'm placing my order now, then I have to run to the bank for a wire transfer (stupid check card limit).
Well somehow my fax didnt go through and they emailed me back today saying so. I just emailed them my forms in pdf file this time. I hope it doesnt take longer then 24 hours now because I have already deposited my check into my checking account.
arkitect77

2005-02-03, 20:09

I'm currently a high school senior, but I have been accepted to Iowa State and I'm 18. Am I eligible for the discount now, or do I have to wait until classes start next fall? I sure hope not. Or, could I just wait until I have my class schedule (should be in a couple months) and do it then?
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-03, 20:51

you are eligible for the edu discount now.
you are also eligible for the dev program if you are going to be taking programming courses in your first semester, but you won't be able to purchase the computer until you can verify that.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
zman2005

2005-02-03, 22:26

New to the forum and new the apple community. Thanks for your pattience and advise first of all and second here comes the first of many questions. I will be a student in fall of 05, so how do i email them my schd. and ID if i haven't started yet. Also I have to have the PB b4 i get to school. In addition, I don't think i will be taking design classes my first semester. But will design websites further down the line so does that matter. Anyways Thanks for the help and if anyone wants money to help pay for the wonderful apple products may i suggest buy some AAPL stock. Never hurts to invest in what you believe. Thanks
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-03, 22:53

No, you cannot be approved for a student developer account unless you are taking some type of computer development course. Looks like you'll have to settle with the regular .edu discount. You could also put the purchase off until you do end up taking that dev. class, or you could buy a cheap computer now and get a really nice one in two years or so. Plenty of options.

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
RC23

2005-02-03, 22:57

Im taking Final Cut and DVD Studio pro classes.. aswell as film classes.. that counts as "development" right?
not sure if it has to be programming

2005-02-04, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
No, you cannot be approved for a student developer account unless you are taking some type of computer development course. Looks like you'll have to settle with the regular .edu discount. You could also put the purchase off until you do end up taking that dev. class, or you could buy a cheap computer now and get a really nice one in two years or so. Plenty of options.
Can anyone confirm this is actually the case? It is my understanding that ADC Student program is available to all university students who have an interest in programming.

To quote apple's Student Developer site, "Some of the best Macintosh application development has come from students like you...That's why we've designed an affordable developer program (only $99 (US)/year), making it easy for students around the world to learn how to develop on the Macintosh platform."

I'm not majoring in computer sciences, nor taking any computing courses this year. But I just had my membership verified and activated. So I just don't want to see any potential buyers scared off by that comment if it's not true and paying more than you have to.

Last edited by newbie : 2005-02-04 at 12:22.
iedo627

2005-02-04, 10:55

Quote:
But I just had my membership verified and activated. So I just want to see any potential buyers scared off by that comment if it's not true and paying more than you have to.
Didn't you just disprove the previou sstatement by stating the above? not trying to sound like a smart ass, just wondering...
Doe

2005-02-04, 13:07

You dont have to be taking any computer science classes because I have all sports management classes this semester and I got approved.
Itis

2005-02-04, 14:05

As a college student, this intrigues me. I hope my web design and hypermedia course qualifies as development.

Anyone know if you can still purchase AppleCare on products ordered via this? Are these discounts also available via retail locations?
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-04, 15:09

Interesting...
you didn't have to send in a copy of your course list?
maybe they just used that to ensure you are enrolled at school.

I read every section of the site way back in 2002 when I bought my TiBook and I came to the conclusion that I needed to have at least one "computer oriented" (not necessarily programming) class on the transcript. I could be wrong.

Have you received your discounted computer yet? Did you get the bill for it yet?

2005-02-04, 17:10

I was charged the ADC discounted rate for a 17" powerbook. I called an Apple representative and she confirmed of the transaction and the notebook will be shipped out within the next 24 hours. They were all really helpful. I guess it wouldn't hurt if a student calls them to confirm if they're eligible to enroll into the program.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-02-06, 19:24

is there any sort of discount if you are a teacher and a developer.... i just graduated, but i am going to be teaching for the next year and was wondering if they got any educational promotions geared towards teachers

btw... to someone who just bought a 17" powerbook, what was the discount amount using a student developer account
ar1550

2005-02-06, 20:57

Mine was $2079, I did a BTO with the 80 GB drive instead of the 100, saving $80.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-06, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
is there any sort of discount if you are a teacher and a developer.... i just graduated, but i am going to be teaching for the next year and was wondering if they got any educational promotions geared towards teachers
Teachers have access to the same Apple Store for Education for discounts on just about everything.

You can also sign up for a paid ADC developer account, but you won't qualify for the student ADC membership price. The higher "regular" membership tiers give out the same stuff as the student membership and more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

2005-02-06, 23:14

for me, the ADC reduced the 17" from $3,100 to $2,720 Cdn. Although I had to shell out $100US to cover the ADC charge, but that's partially offset by the complementary commercial version of OS X 10.4 tiger when it is released. Regular price is $3,400. So that's another 12% savings from the education discount. It's quite a good deal! I'm eagerly waiting for it to arrive. =)
gjas15

2005-02-07, 03:52

I was confirmed for an ADC student account and have recieved my printer but the powerbook ($1999 15" CTO :smokey: ) is still waiting to ship... The only computer class you could say im taking right now is the CCNA:2 course... Cisco Systems certification and this specific course just deals with WAN's and Routers... not real computer esque except the configuration of the routers... which im planning to buy a usb->serial adapter for just that purpose when my powerbook decides to ship that is
I Thrash Therefore I Am

Send a message via AIM to I Thrash Therefore I Am  
2005-02-07, 11:44

I had to fax my schedule for spring semester, and I'm only taking chemistry and pre-cal (well, and japanese), so it doesn't have to be computer related. Only computer class I took before was CS3.

If you buy applecare, buy it after you buy the pb, because its WAY cheaper with just the regular student discount ($110 cheaper). I wish I knew this beforehand.
squishles

2005-02-07, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15
I was confirmed for an ADC student account and have recieved my printer but the powerbook ($1999 15" CTO :smokey: ) is still waiting to ship... The only computer class you could say im taking right now is the CCNA:2 course... Cisco Systems certification and this specific course just deals with WAN's and Routers... not real computer esque except the configuration of the routers... which im planning to buy a usb->serial adapter for just that purpose when my powerbook decides to ship that is
fyi- os x doesnt support that cable, or at least it didnt through 10.2.whatever... maybe they upgraded it but i called and was assured they had not. you can use the cable but it has to go through os 9 to work.

while on the phone i also verified that you do NOT need to be taking computer-related courses to be approved, but need to be currently enrolled.

hope this helps.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-07, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15
I took the whole CCNA thing last year. It was pretty fun, except the curriculum is boring like hell. The CCNA test itself is pretty easy, as long as you know what to expect. As for the cable, it looks like this will work. However, does anyone know what program you would use to console into a router? Would Terminal work?

BTW, it's really weird how you don't have to be in a computer course to get the discount. That's really strange.
gjas15

2005-02-08, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I took the whole CCNA thing last year. It was pretty fun, except the curriculum is boring like hell. The CCNA test itself is pretty easy, as long as you know what to expect. As for the cable, it looks like this will work. However, does anyone know what program you would use to console into a router? Would Terminal work?

BTW, it's really weird how you don't have to be in a computer course to get the discount. That's really strange.
http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...se_X_Info.html
or
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10529

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-02-08 at 00:32.
RC23

2005-02-09, 00:55

Ive got a question.. Can I get the Student Developer Discount at a local Apple Store?
and if so.. would they carry a custom one like
superdrive
128vram
1gig ddr ram
80gig hd?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 01:28

Yes, if you show them your student ID, you'll get the student discount.

However, the retail stores only carry the stock models listed on the web site.