User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Webcam software for Mac with motion detection? Is there any?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Webcam software for Mac with motion detection? Is there any?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-03, 23:51

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to use either my iSight or camcorder as a motion sensitive capture device. I don't want to record a bunch of nothing, just when there is action.

Ultimately I'm going to look for a whole home security setup that incorporates cameras that are accessible from anywhere via the web. So I'm certainly open to pointers of this. I can use a PC if I must, but I would like the solution to be Mac based.

For now though, I just need to be able to record motion to "catch a thief" without having to waste a lot of HDD space and also not have to sift through and bunch of blank space and likely miss the part I need to see. I'd be cool if Apple offered it, but where ever. Free is good, though I'm willing to pay if it's worth it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-04, 00:16

I found this on my second Google hit. Typed in something like "motion detection webcam for Mac", just to see what was out there.

Seems like a possibility?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-04, 00:21

I didn't think to Google before posting the thread so I headed there right after posting the thread. I found EvoCam which looks a lot like keycamx, but it says it supports Leopard and keycamx doesn't.

After doing the search though I thought I'd still like to have this thread going so some of our users can tell us what they are using. IOW, practical hands on opinions of what works.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-04, 00:26

Sure, definitely. I wasn't chastising you at all. I didn't even know this kind of thing existed. It's just something I've never really thought about, but it makes sense.

Surely someone here at 'Nova has some experience.

Yeah, I just noted that KeyCamX thing only mentions 10.3 and 10.4 on their site. Hmmm...

EDIT: I just saw this. Scroll down toward the bottom:

Quote:
What's New in This Release:

· Fixed bug on Leopard with missing or incomplete text in buttons.
Sounds like KeyCamX runs on Leopard. Maybe they just haven't updated their site in forever?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-04, 04:45

From what I can see, I'm liking EvoCam a little more because it'll work with network cams where KeyCamX only works with USB or Firewire cameras. That would get impractical quickly once I start building the larger scale system.

Anyone else have any suggestions?