AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova World Map and Screenshot Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova World Map and Screenshot Thread
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-06, 02:14

Feck. And I can't relabel it without redoing the whole thing as I opened the Bridgeport file. (Imagewell is nice, but limited...)

Oh, and I won't be around for a couple of weeks - going to Hawaii!

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-06 at 02:46.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-06, 03:20

My house is the Hibearnation Station. My lava bridge is the Turtle Rock Memorial Bridge (after Turtle Rock from various Zelda games, often associated with lava in some manner).
arteggio

2011-01-06, 08:59

And I believe the technical name for The Village is Bridgeport Heights. Map is accurate enough though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-08, 18:40

As promised, here are a couple of updated maps with annotated locations.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-08, 22:01

Haha, I built that.

Wow, it really looks like a bong from that angle. Nice.

I couldn't find anything green to put in the bowl. So I put some wood in there instead. I was hoping I could dye some wool green but I guess they took that out in an earlier patch?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-01-08 at 23:41.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-14, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Would the maps regenerate the same way or all new terrain? It'd be kind of fun to have all new terrain to explore.
The world will regenerate the same terrain that was originally generated, but it will be replenished both with the original resources as well as the new resource types.

That said... DONE! Finally. I pruned out a ton of the explored world. Here are before and after images of the world at the same scale. As usual, NW is up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-19, 23:32

Map time!

I haven't made the time to walk around to all the new locations yet; so, I don't have labels on this map. Click for larger.

edit: I uploaded the larger version at full size, but apparently imgur.com doesn't like 3.6 MB PNG files. It automatically scaled down the large version by about 50%.

¡Damned!

2011-01-22, 23:05

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-22, 23:25

Nice find! Definitely a lot more colorful than most of the caves I've run into in my travels.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-24, 00:53

Whoops! forgot to mention that I trimmed the map earlier this evening. I culled about half of the map just by deleting sections on the distant outer areas that were explored but not built upon. After a few hours of play, the size of the world has stabilized around 61 MB.

I've rendered the latest map image in a simpler top-down perspective. This is at 50% size, making 1 pixel = 4 (2x2) blocks. North is up!

Part of my reasoning for rendering the world this way was so it would be easier to highlight that, yes, there are vast sections of unused and unmined lands. If you're about to embark on a journey to find diamonds or lapis, look no further. I've just circled two of the bigger areas. There are still lots of smaller areas between developed areas too.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-27, 01:45

Here's a map update for you map junkies, linked instead of inlined because it's a full 1:1::pixel:block image in pristine lossless PNG goodness. I took this snapshot shortly after the server auto-restarted, about an hour and a half ago.

world-20110127.png

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-05, 13:03

That said, map update!

world.20110205.1222.png
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-13, 00:19

Map update!

By request, this version is set at night, illuminated only by torches, glowstone, and the occasional lava pool.

world.20110212.2349.png

Enjoy.
Bonn89

2011-02-13, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Map update!

By request, this version is set at night, illuminated only by torches, glowstone, and the occasional lava pool.

world.20110212.2349.png

Enjoy.
Daaamn.

Fine work we've all done. This world keeps looking better and better.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-06, 22:19

Map update!!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-06, 22:19

Also, here's an isometric version.

Northwest is up.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-07, 23:27

Trimmed map!

This brings us back down to 45% ram disk utilization.

Also, I saw you scheming bobsky. Execute on that plan and the ranch is the next chunk to go!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-28, 23:08

Impromptu group photo time!

Celebrating the christening of the passive mob trap, perhaps? Sure, that's a passable reason.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-28, 23:14

Family photo time!

Clicky for bigger.

From Left to Right:

Billybobsky, Mrs Turtle, Turtle, Brad, Thunderpoit, 709, Rowdyscot.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-02, 12:16

Map time!

Since we have some newcomers, I've generated both the straight view from above as well as the more recognizable isometric view. The full-size images are big. So, if you want to reference them, you should download/save them to disk.

Click to embiggen.

For reference, Bridgeport is near center in both images. The spawn is southwest of Bridgeport. The isometric image has "up" as northwest.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-06, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
To address Keiran's point from earlier: is it worth having a subforum here (maybe even hidden from those who aren't interested) for Minecraft? This thread is unwieldy indeed.
Hmm... not a bad idea. I'll consider that over the next day or so.

Also, map time! This time I've just taken a crop of the greater Bridgeport area and labeled it. Click for larger.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-06, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmm... not a bad idea. I'll consider that over the next day or so.

Also, map time! This time I've just taken a crop of the greater Bridgeport area and labeled it. Click for larger.

Right across from Robo's place is where my bar will be. A sign is on top of the hill. I've not yet chosen a name for the place just yet, and it will be a bit of a future endeavor, but I think it will be interspersed in going up with Great Bear Lodge.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 20:08

Brad, why not host these on the server rather than Dropbox? Seems like a fitting use the server that I can't imagine would take too much away from game play.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 22:39

Convenience? I don't have to manually scp/rsync the files with Dropbox and it takes a little bit of bandwidth off of AN proper. No major reason either way, though.

edit: Oh, wait, you mean on your server? No, I definitely wouldn't want large images on there, periodically spiking bandwidth away from the game whenever people access them.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 22:41

Makes sense.
Bonn89

2011-04-13, 22:44

This wasn't done on the server, but on my SSP world. Still, I though you guys (especially Brad) might like to see my latest creation:

I'll try to remember to post an in-game screenshot later.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 22:48

That is made of win.

And you picked the best Link sprite to go with (Minish Cap's). The Link's Awakening/Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons sprite is a classic, but the LttP sprite just looks sort of weird nowadays (sacrilege, I know).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-13, 23:06

Minish Cap. Oh yes. Easily the most under-appreciated game in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
the LttP sprite just looks sort of weird nowadays (sacrilege, I know).
The only thing I think is weird about ALttP's Link sprite is (and always was) the fact that it gave him purple hair. Does. Not. Compute. I'm convinced this was a palette bug that was just somehow overlooked when the game was released.

Bonn89

2011-04-13, 23:24

Glad you guys liked the choice! Here's a screengrab from in-game:

And this is the simplified sprite/pattern I used as a reference (made by drawing 1 pixel dots in Acorn):

All dyes and wool was collected by hand (in fact, I'm still missing some brown wool, as evidenced by the dirt blocks in some of the hair detail). I'm very proud of this.

Under the sprite is a work in progress glassed in area that's going to be kind of a shrine of some sorts. Not totally sure what's going on, but the glass walls are going to be the same shape as the outline of the sprite, just to make it interesting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-14, 01:38

Very nice! I've been working on a Mega Man scene for my SSP, but with the time put in on MinecraftNova, it hasn't really progressed very far.