User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 9 of 28 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-08-18, 01:36

I've claimed the big mountain to the north-northeast of spawn, which I have dubbed Mob Hill in honor of its esteemed predecessors. Also, for the crazy numbers of spiders, skellies, zombies, and creepers I had to kill while I was building my cabin on it.
delphi

2012-08-18, 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
What's the brick thing to the northeast of town?
Yes. That is my little farm.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-08-18, 13:39

Cool!

In other news I built a Marina on the southern shore. If you played Sim City 2000 you should recognize it. I also built a rail that connects it to the Arco.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-18, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Cool!

In other news I built a Marina on the southern shore. If you played Sim City 2000 you should recognize it. I also built a rail that connects it to the Arco.
I just checked this out. Very nicely done sir!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-18, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
Yes. That is my little farm.
Just visited here too. Also very well done! I do like that design. Would you be willing to share this farm as a community resource? If so, I may decommission my sheep pen and erect some other building in its place.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
delphi

2012-08-18, 16:42

Yes. All are welcome at the little farm.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-08-18, 16:44

Question - since we now have a rail to the southern shore from Arco, and developments at that southern shore, should we focus on perhaps developing the area between Spawn/Arco and the southern shore?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2012-08-20, 10:32

The paper/sugar mill is functional and ready for harvesting if anyone needs it, though the building itself isn't finished (and most likely won't be this week - busy busy). Each row is 32 plants long, and there's 8 rows per floor, so as it stands now you should be able to harvest 16 stacks (leaving the bottom of the stalks to regrow, of course). I may build a lower floor too - not sure about that yet.

[edit]: It's on the far side of the Isle of Industry (the island near Spawn) in case some didn't know where it's located:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-08-20 at 12:02.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-23, 18:26

Here's a view back toward Kraetos' marina from my island.

Note that there's a little sand island between us, which might be useful for a public lighthouse IF my tentative claim on it is valid. Although I thought that Robo's was spiffy in the last world I'd like it if this one could be a bit more spindly and modern - that way I'll still have a good view of K's marina and people on shore will have plenty of ocean to look at. I'm not necessarily asking to be the one to build it, but I'm thinking that it would be nice if it if the base were not much bigger than the outline there now - though it could get bigger as it went up, so that there's a viewing platform?

Whatcha think?

Edit: Oh, I'm tentatively calling this area "Pirates Cove" though I'm DEFINITELY not stuck on the name. - my island won't be very piratical.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-08-27, 00:08

Ok, so I've found an area that I finally want to claim. It's the taiga area to the south of the desert island with the litup village. I'll post an overhead of the area once the map updates.

It's a fairly large plot with the vast majority of it being designated as a park with some minimal building by myself.

I'll torch the outer boundary once I have time to get back to town and pick up some food and charcoal.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-01, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Question - since we now have a rail to the southern shore from Arco, and developments at that southern shore, should we focus on perhaps developing the area between Spawn/Arco and the southern shore?
Couldn't hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Note that there's a little sand island between us, which might be useful for a public lighthouse IF my tentative claim on it is valid. Although I thought that Robo's was spiffy in the last world I'd like it if this one could be a bit more spindly and modern - that way I'll still have a good view of K's marina and people on shore will have plenty of ocean to look at. I'm not necessarily asking to be the one to build it, but I'm thinking that it would be nice if it if the base were not much bigger than the outline there now - though it could get bigger as it went up, so that there's a viewing platform?

Edit: Oh, I'm tentatively calling this area "Pirates Cove" though I'm DEFINITELY not stuck on the name. - my island won't be very piratical.
Your islands look fine by me!

Are you planning to build the lighthouse, or are you putting that out here as a suggestion for someone to take up?

On that note, does this mean you've abandoned the skinny glass shack near spawn? If so, I would like to mark the old shack for demolition to free up space around spawn.

I've been thinking it would be nice to have a little welcoming center near spawn (like the platform in old Bridgeport), and this might be a good place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Ok, so I've found an area that I finally want to claim. It's the taiga area to the south of the desert island with the litup village. I'll post an overhead of the area once the map updates.
Assuming this is it:

Looks fine by me!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-01, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Looks fine by me!
Already abandoned.

Removing the torches and marking a new area much further south.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-01, 21:58

Don't stretch out the map too much, man!

edit: Oh, I see, south-east of that location? Not too terribly far, but still a few days trek from spawn.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-02, 00:50

Brad you can totally take down that thingy at spawn - my island (and caverns below) will keep me plenty busy! I could use that sandstone, but will be looking for a place to harvest/gather it (is there a good one?).

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-02, 01:01

The sandstone is yours! Feel free to grab it if you get to it before I do, else I'll drop it in a chest at your place.

As far as good sandlots, there's the desert across the southern ocean. It's a bit of a voyage, but there's plenty!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-02, 09:58

I took a few minutes this morning and paddled over to spawn and took down that structure. I also took the stairs since I assume that you'll be connecting things in a more planned fashion. The "notch" where the stairs were is covered by dirt but visible from within the "safety cave" at spawn where several people made early base camps.

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-02, 10:07

Forgot to answer your question about the lighthouse.

If somebody else wants to build something it's fine by me, but I'd emphasize the desire for it to be seriously, ridiculously needle-thin like an antenna on the top of a skyscraper... no more than 6 blocks square - perhaps tipped with a single vertical column of glowstone and glass?

Does that make sense?

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-09-02, 11:55

I have an idea I'd like to try.... It'd be 7 blocks wide to account for the central ladder, would that be OK?

Also, red and gold instead of red and white. Pirate theme and all that.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-02, 14:08

Do eet!!
Make it elegant!

I'm at Dragon*Con rat nao.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-29, 14:14

So, whose is this? It has some crazy machinations underground that cause my framerate to drop to ~11 FPS whenever I'm near it, and this is the first time I've seen major framerate issues since the switch to Tekkit. Beware, RowdyScot or Bryson or anyone with an older computer!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-29, 14:21

Where is that on the map?

delphi

2012-09-29, 15:29

That is my place.
Sorry, if I caused any problems.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-29, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Where is that on the map?

It's very close to the Tree Arco, just slightly northwest.

Quote:
That is my place.
Sorry, if I caused any problems.
It's not a problem at all for me because I'm building far enough away. I was more curious and surprised to see such a quick frame-rate drop. I think it's either the many pipes and machines or the crystal chests. I'll have to do some testing to see what's up.

Also, since I didn't say it before: that's a very cool looking building. You have a gift my friend. Don't hide it under a bushel basket!

delphi

2012-09-29, 16:52

I'm thinking it is the crystal chests.

Brad,
Could you test that theory by changing all of my crystal chests to diamond chest?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-30, 01:11

Quote:
I'm thinking it is the crystal chests.

Brad,
Could you test that theory by changing all of my crystal chests to diamond chest?
Looks like you've already swapped them out, and the frame rate is significantly improved. Though, with your machines gone too, it's hard to pinpoint which was the bigger issue.

That said, the comments on the wiki seem to confirm that crystal chests are the source of some notable performance degradations. I've disabled crafting and placing of crystal chests. To anyone who has already placed them: please consider replacing them with diamond chests (which have the same storage capacity). Thanks!

¡Damned!

2012-09-30, 17:11

Will do. I have a few of those around.

Dellphi: Wow! That looks incredible. Reminds me of the Justice League building somewhat. Very cool.

I need to get into town more.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-10-02, 19:01

Holy SHIT lag. Could it be those blue torches a lot of people have now? Tell you what, I got near those things and my shit shut down completely.

* I only mention those because I've had no trouble with lag in my area, but visiting town brought my to me knees. 'twas the suck. And I don't have all of your fancy tools yet. Just sayin'.

[edit]: Hmm. They don't seem to have the same effect around the Lord of the Rings tower thing, yet they're everywhere. I really don't know what could be doing it now. Even at Steveh's I was turning like a drunk (i'm not today! i swear!) but his place is brand new. No idea.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-10-02 at 21:11.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-10-02, 21:29

Hmm, at spawn its probably something of mine causing the problem. I can't see it being the interdiction torches. Might be my recycler, although that's pretty simple. Or my crop-matrons? Or the crops themselves? Or Rowdys condensors? Brad?

There are still 4 crystal chests in the display cabinet at Starbucks. I guess they could be the problem. I'll be sad to see them go.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-10-02, 22:43

Could be the condensers, but those don't really even affect *my* framerate, which I have to assume is worse than anyone else's.

Sorry for being AWOL for a few days here. On a business trip, and the wifi has been craptastic. No way will it support MC.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-10-02, 23:20

Crazy, major lag for me right now.

I popped on to play for a few and it's SO SLOW.

Hmm... could it be all the rain? Because it's raining right now.

I have one of those see-through chests, but it hasn't been bad until now.

I also have a nether portal at my place now, so could it be that?

Captain Drew on Twitter