AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Anyone using a standing desk?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone using a standing desk?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-01, 17:51

Ha! Logged into AN for the fist time in months. Coincidentally, I just got a standing desk today.

Just like you, turtle, I bought only the legs. ApexDesk Flex Pro with the BT compatible memory controller for $313. (I liked the design better, and have no intention to use BT.) Reused the top slab from my old IKEA desk. In fact, I was impatient and lazy, so didn't even remove the old legs. Just slid the assembled mechanicals under my old desk, and promptly lifted it up!

So far, I'm liking it a lot. I suspect I'll have to get some sort of padding for the floor. I can't see my knees and hips taking kindly to standing all day. Do you recommend the mat you got? If so, do you have a link or name?

The other thing I will have to sort out is monitor viewing angle. I currently use an MBP. With a sitting desk, it's easy just to hunch over your keyboard and low laptop screen. However, standing with good posture, bending over isn't going to work. I guess the ideal solution would be an external monitor on a swing arm. But I'm not ready to make that jump just yet.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 08:07

Nice one there Escher. Not sure I would leave it not being screwed together though. Maybe I just lean on mine more than you do.

I don't have the link for the mat. I bought it from Amazon and it's a random knockoff that was super cheap at the time when I got it. It isn't that great but helps at least. I have been wearing flip-flops more than anything lately when I want to be barefoot. Still use that mat, but can't really recommend it.

I'm actually still looking for some goof footwear to make long hours of standing better.

The most annoying thing I've encountered so far is that my Apple Watch doesn't give me standing credit when standing at my desk for hours unless I swing my arm around.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-06, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Nice one there Escher. Not sure I would leave it not being screwed together though. Maybe I just lean on mine more than you do.
Absolutely! I just put off screwing the legs into the desktop because (a) I'm a lazy SOB and (b) I didn't have my drill and impact driver handy.

The telescoping legs already wobble less than the old IKEA legs, even without being attached. So I have high hopes for a rock solid desk once I can pre-drill and screw them in place. Can't wait to toss out those crappy IKEA legs!

Quote:
I don't have the link for the mat. I bought it from Amazon and it's a random knockoff that was super cheap at the time when I got it. It isn't that great but helps at least. I have been wearing flip-flops more than anything lately when I want to be barefoot. Still use that mat, but can't really recommend it.
Gotcha. Was the mat you got a flat one, like they sell for kitchens/cooks? Or was it one of the contoured ones that are designed to change your foot position and angle specifically while at a standing desk? Either way, I suspect finding the right mat may take some trial and error.

Quote:
I'm actually still looking for some goof footwear to make long hours of standing better.
I just got a new pair of Keen slides, which help provide support. I also have a pair of cushioned Timberland Pro anti-fatigue clogs. Although I use those more for garden work and taking out the trash, they were cheap and I are good for extended standing.

Quote:
The most annoying thing I've encountered so far is that my Apple Watch doesn't give me standing credit when standing at my desk for hours unless I swing my arm around.
LOL! You're right. I started wearing my Apple Watch again, and it's completely oblivious to my standing desk effort. Maybe we just need to wear our Apple Watch around our ankles instead.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-06, 13:17

The mat is just a flat one. Nothing special about it. I have noticed it is already dipping more in the middle where my feet normally land. So now I'm wearing the flip-flops even on the mat. It's 3/4" mat though that I expected to be much better than it is.

I idea of putting the Watch on my ankle is actually somewhat tempting.

Edit: Mind post a link to similar clogs you have? I looked through Timberland's site and didn't see what I was hoping to see.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.