Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2018 Reunion Month
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-16, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I'm in. Maybe y'all can give me some ideas to mess with Kickaha when me and the family invade him in Seattle in August.
Or tell him you've given up on hockey and want to start a coffeehouse.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-05-17, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Or tell him you've given up on hockey and want to start a coffeehouse.
People will come in for coffee and then get into fights!
murbot
Hoonigan

2018-05-31, 16:03

All the cool kids are planning weed-related businesses these days, as Canada is about to doom the population by legalizing the evil plant.
heymargaux

2018-05-31, 21:53

When exactly on June?
murbot
Hoonigan

2018-06-02, 10:42

drew. much sad. no nostalgia. no nothing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-06-02, 12:47

something something pirates. something hosket. something something revolution?
Dr. Bobsky

2018-06-03, 05:24

Thar she blows! The white whale what done us the devil's due. She rises like a specter from the whitecaps. I can no more see her body for the grey sky and messy sea, but her eye bears into me. It pierces my reverie as I take sight along my harpoon's shimmering surface. But no! I must resist my muscles spasms, the hunger that pulls me to her. She rises slower now. Knowing what fate and my heart have her in for.

What? Revolution? Hockey? Pirates?!>
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2018-06-04, 07:10

What’s happenin’ peeps?

We moved to downtown Durham a couple of years ago (from south Durham) and we have been loving it. I bought a big ass red f150 since I don’t need to park in a garage any more.

And I built my daughter a playhouse.

Holy shit. Why is it so hard to get a URL for my actual image file from Flickr or imgur?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Last edited by torifile : 2018-06-04 at 07:27.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-04, 08:58

Ha! Didn't see this thread until today (because I rarely visit).

But it's June, and I'm present!

Viva la revolucion!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-06-04, 09:06

I've bounced around the last few years, moving to Boston and then Brooklyn and now living on the Upper East Side in New York City. Love the city lift and it's going to be super difficult when we eventually move outside of the city someday (whether that is to a suburb or across the country is to be determined..)

Hopefully we can at least get some of the older members to post an update this month. I don't see this place ever being what it once was, but an update every once in a while isn't too bad.

It'd be even better if some would join Twitter.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2018-06-04, 11:05

Let’s see if this works.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-04, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Thar she blows! The white whale what done us the devil's due. She rises like a specter from the whitecaps. I can no more see her body for the grey sky and messy sea, but her eye bears into me. It pierces my reverie as I take sight along my harpoon's shimmering surface. But no! I must resist my muscles spasms, the hunger that pulls me to her. She rises slower now. Knowing what fate and my heart have her in for.
Is that the Oompa Loompas from Humpty Dumpty?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-04, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Let’s see if this works.
Nice kid jail you got there. Where's the food slot?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2018-06-04, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Nice kid jail you got there. Where's the food slot?
The mosquitoes we have here because of all this rain ought to keep them fed for a little while.
Dr. Bobsky

2018-06-04, 13:23

lol.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-06-04, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've bounced around the last few years, moving to Boston and then Brooklyn and now living on the Upper East Side in New York City. Love the city lift and it's going to be super difficult when we eventually move outside of the city someday (whether that is to a suburb or across the country is to be determined..)

Hopefully we can at least get some of the older members to post an update this month. I don't see this place ever being what it once was, but an update every once in a while isn't too bad.

It'd be even better if some would join Twitter.
I’m on Twitter (same name) except I don’t use it much. Mostly just nerding on space stuff
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 15:40

I deleted my social media accounts. If I happen to still have them it's only because I haven't logged into it to delete it yet. I think I killed Twitter already but not sure.

I just have a hard time with all the privacy we give away to these companies to use the user as a commodity. I'm not a product and don't care to be treated like one.

What I've been up to though.... Still a geek but with a different company that pays more now. I manage mostly Windows servers now rather than Linux, but thankfully I still get to work with Linux a lot.

Still a heavy Apple user though I don't think I would call myself a fanboy. I have been passing through here reading and posting every now and then since I joined 13 years ago.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-06-04, 18:14

If we're recalling all the fun places we've been recently, my tales are pretty boring. In the professional world, I've bounced between a few tech companies in the Raleigh-Durham area over the last few years, most recently settling in at Red Hat where I'm building cloud server monitoring software. On the personal side, my wife and I have just been living a low-key quiet life, occasionally taking short trips out of town but more often hitting the local library and going for walks in various nearby parks. Thrilling!!!

I'm also still a full-time Apple user (even Red Hat gives developers the option of choosing a MacBook for the job!), and every bit of my day-to-day computing activities are done on Apple devices. Although I check the news and occasionally peek at MacRumors headlines, I am far away from touching the bleeding edge of Apple tech. At home I'm still rockin' an eight-year-old Hackintosh, a 2015 MBP (which I pray never dies), and an iPhone 6S. No watch. No tv. No… uh… speaker thing?

I recently had to replace my engine mounts, and I realized that I've been driving the same car for literally half of my life. On one hand, jeeeeesus I'm boring. On the other hand, I have this strange pride of keeping my car alive and seeing it outlast so many other things that have passed me by.

Social media. Social media never changes. I have token accounts in a few places for lurking, but I never post. I've yet to find a place with a community that felt as honest and meaningful as this one did fifteen years ago. AppleNova may be the one holdout to prove that some old communities never die; they just fade away. At least until one day I forget to update my credit card and the hosting service lapses!

Is Minecraft still a thing for anyone? It's still fun to jump on turtle's server from time to time, wander around a bit, maybe dig a hole and build a thing. Since we're all in the reunion spirit, perhaps we should put an old fashioned new-world runaround on the calendar some time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Paul
Veteran Member

2018-06-04, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
At least until one day I forget to update my credit card and the hosting service lapses!
Please never speak of such a terrible thing.
SpecMode
Wait what

2018-06-05, 00:26

Oh, right, it's June already. How time flies!

Still in California, still working in tech, still have more  devices than is reasonable for one person, still don't care. (I have a different Twitter account, though, so there's that.)
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2018-06-05, 01:50

I've moved to Columbus, OH. Been here since 2016. Still doing the poly bear thing, kinda. Live with the same two, but now only partnered to one of them. He also has another partner, and we just broke up with yet another lol.

Tons of medical issues for those around me, but thankfully nothing too insane for me.

Still playing hockey. Competed in the Gay Games a few years ago, and play in LGBT tourneys in Canada every year. Playing locally in Columbus, too.

Still playing Minecraft, but admittedly have not touched vanilla MC since the last time I logged onto the AN server. Very strictly modded anymore - vanilla does not hold my interest for more than a couple hours. Though that's good for an AN get-together

I've gotten into speedrunning games pretty heavily. Mostly Mega Man and Final Fantasy, but some Zelda, Mario, and indie titles in there, too. Also streaming on Twitch.

I still have a Mac, but it hasn't booted into OS X in over a year. Have an iPhone X and an Apple TV. No longer working for Apple, which was one of the best choices in my life for my mental health.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-05, 11:57

Quote:
… but more often hitting the local library and going for walks in various nearby parks. Thrilling!!!
Both are far better for you than this computer crap! I used to rush home from work and jump on the computer. Now, I prefer to get outside, walk in the garden, mow the lawn, swing a hammer.

Quote:
I'm also still a full-time Apple user (even Red Hat gives developers the option of choosing a MacBook for the job!), and every bit of my day-to-day computing activities are done on Apple devices. Although I check the news and occasionally peek at MacRumors headlines, I am far away from touching the bleeding edge of Apple tech. At home I'm still rockin' an eight-year-old Hackintosh, a 2015 MBP (which I pray never dies), and an iPhone 6S. No watch. No tv. No… uh… speaker thing?
With Mojave, for the first time since being a Mac user I have no compatible devices (other than my late 2012 Mac Mini). All my other computers are going to be obsolete. Although I do have an iPhone X. —which for a guy who hates cellphones is silly! (It's my wife's fault. She made me do it! )

Quote:
I recently had to replace my engine mounts, and I realized that I've been driving the same car for literally half of my life. On one hand, jeeeeesus I'm boring. On the other hand, I have this strange pride of keeping my car alive and seeing it outlast so many other things that have passed me by.
Helluva task for a geeky nerd-dude. But, you do make your own shields and body armor, so …

Quote:
I've yet to find a place with a community that felt as honest and meaningful as this one did fifteen years ago. AppleNova may be the one holdout to prove that some old communities never die; they just fade away.
Applenova has always felt genuine. Back in 2014 when I was hunting for a forum, I signed up over on AI just before I found this joint. AN felt more "homey". Always has. I still lurk on AI and even leave a [not very often] occasional post, but that place feels like a giant advertisement and the posts feel like they're all made by 12 year-olds.

The best part of it is the intelligent conversation—including the heated arguments—which you cannot get on most social media outlets. And that's what I think has changed. People in general have gotten too busy for intelligent online conversation. There's too little time in the day. At the risk of getting "political", you know it's bad when even the POTUS can dispell policy with a 20-word tweet. Can we not be bothered any longer?

Quote:
At least until one day I forget to update my credit card and the hosting service lapses!
*POOF*

Don't do it, Brad. Don't let the AI guys say "I told you so"!

Quote:
Is Minecraft still a thing for anyone? It's still fun to jump on turtle's server from time to time, wander around a bit, maybe dig a hole and build a thing. Since we're all in the reunion spirit, perhaps we should put an old fashioned new-world runaround on the calendar some time.
Summer is the worst time for me, but if it can be arranged, I'll sure try.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-06-05, 16:05

I'm around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
murbot
Hoonigan

2018-06-05, 16:34

I've been looking back at some old threads I started... man time has flown.

I do miss the hilarious rapid fire posting from back in the day. It used to be hard to keep up with all of the active threads some nights!

Tons of medical issues for those around me as well. Sicknesses, deaths, chronic medical conditions, etc. Fun stuff. Luckily I've been free from any of that, but then again I haven't had my liver looked at closely.

My iPhone 7 is all I have from Apple. Well, if you don't count the functional but stuffed in storage Dual 533.

We should pick a night to do some posting.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2018-06-05, 18:57

Good to see some of the old timers posting here. Oops sorry that should be Long Term members.

I miss the good old days when there was so many active threads, so much fun.

I still have my old Mac mini, not booted into Mac OS in a long while, these days I'm into Linux (Manjaro XFCE) and enjoying what the open source world has to offer.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-06-06, 07:14

Quote:
...I've bounced between a few tech companies in the Raleigh-Durham area over the last few years...
I moved from Northwestern PA to Clayton, NC (just east of Raleigh) a couple of years ago.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-06-06, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I moved from Northwestern PA to Clayton, NC (just east of Raleigh) a couple of years ago.
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-06-06, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Helluva task for a geeky nerd-dude. But, you do make your own shields and body armor, so …
I didn't do that one myself. I took my car to a shop because I had no idea what all the growing angry noises around my engine were. When the mechanic turned the corner holding a pathetic worn-out hunk of rubber that used to be the right mount, suddenly everything made sense.

On the other hand, last Friday a coworker and I replaced the fuel pump by ourselves in my wife's 10-year-old Civic when it stranded her on the other side of town. After a few hours of some serious sweating (and swearing), the job was done and the car roared back to life. It saved me several hundreds of dollars of would-be shop labor, and I learned a lot more about how that part of the car works as well as gaining the confidence that I can resolve one more mechanical problem if it comes up again in the future.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2018-06-08, 16:38

*waves*
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-06-08, 19:52

Oh wait, this thing is HAPPENING???

Workwise, I haven't worked full-on in the film industry since 2004, when I took a job with a regular company that I worked on and off with in my spare time during the late 1990s. A few years ago I began providing communications services to another organization, providing them with guidance on a redesign of their public website and generating content for their social media channels and a few strategies for messaging the general public as well as their members. A lot of politics in that one, so I refrain from putting my heart into it, which is really good for me honestly.

Homewise, we lost my dad a few years ago after a decline that began in 2013.

It was just so tough to see him go, as I have enjoyed a tremendously loving relationship with my folks. I feel so guilty sometimes knowing that others have had such a shit show. A real treasure.

He left me millions of memories in the form of a collection of just about everything he ever had, including stuff that should have gone into the dumpster a few decades ago. As a result of the time lag, those items are suddenly all cast in the light of 'vintage' which makes disposing of them so much more difficult. For instance, I found the cardboard box that came with the Sony Trinitron I bought them in the early 90s. I am watching a tribute to Anthony Bourdain on that same television right now, wondering if I could sell the box and the television for "big bugs" on eBay or something. The real answer is I should cut out a Trinitron logo from the panel and toss the rest of the cardboard.

Speaking of cardboard, this year was the 9th annual Cardboard*Con and this year we finally came up with our own theme song. Well, I came up with it. But some friends helped me make the video at the last minute. If you have any way of making it go viral please do, since Jurassic Park is coming out soon... Cardboard*Con Offishul Theemsong: It's In March

PiratePalooza is looking at 14 this year, and Captain Drew is a bigger mess than he's ever been (on the last day of the "renniesauce festicle" he showed up with a bag of toasted bread and every time one of the minstrels called out "A Toast!!" he would yell "Some Toast!!!" and fling a piece in their direction). He has some VERY serious plans for something groundbreaking later this summer, so I'll let y'all get in at the ground floor - it's good that he doesn't have a bigger platform or he'd be in so much trouble.

For the past several years we have ended the crawl and started the pub sing in the backyard of a restaurant fronted by celebrity chef Kevin Gillespie, and word went out a month or two ago that he had been diagnosed with renal cancer - just terrible.

I still use my MacBook Pro every single day and operate in a Mac/Adobe/Amazon environment. I really need a Mac Mini with updated ports so I can do some videotape preservation. My iPhone is a champ and I use the shit out of it every single day. I can quit out of all my apps at noon and by noon the following day I'll have 20 apps open, most of them having been used extensively.

I haven't read much since my cancer back in 2009, but I have become a voracious listener of Audible books and podcasts (primarily stories from The Moth). My favorite book series remains The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson and probably always will be, and the Audible version is breathtaking in its performance.

Still single. Chased a nice girl for a few years but she had zero desire to be caught (by me) and I finally walked away from that friendship, or whatever it was. It was tough, but every day that passed made me remember who I am (I'm bloody Captain Drew, baby!) and sad that I was in such a low place in my life that I had not gotten out of that mess permanently, and a whole lot sooner.

Best and only cat died on Christmas Day in 2016. Heartrending. By the beginning of 2017 we had a feral mother cat and her two kittens (and their Aunt(??)) inside the house and over the course of the past 18 months the kittens have grown and are half-tame and the 'Aunt' kitty is my new 'best' cat.

I am so busy on a daily basis that I don't have time to jump in and play Minecraft, though I have so many fond memories of the silly shit we have done in that game. You people who never took the time to buy the game and learn to log in have seriously missed out on some epic adventures. I swear that I'll join up again one night and hide from creepers like the chicken I am!!!

Politics. Sheesh. I know that I was pretty goshdarned conservative back when this place went up, but over those years I have made the unusual transition from right wing to left of center. Many of the well written, rational conversations that happened here over the years helped to lay a foundation for that change. Having friends with different backgrounds helped too. I stopped using "Social Justice Warrior" as a label and understand how the fundamental fabric of our society is changing - must change. I am not a fan of our current president's style, methods, or sensibilities.

There's ZERO reason that any of you should really drift away from here again. Nobody carries on rational extended conversations on Facebook, and they never did. We are all tired of memes and image macros and dammit oh god the political rancor. This place has been great because it's "always been there" for us to return to over the years. I love that.

I badly want Murbot to go back and find his original photos from his lesson on hard drives. I still remember the night when we went crazy on the forums and suddenly we all started getting our own image icons and somehow I got Meatwad, y'all.

What I've been watching: Westworld, Silicon Valley, Barry, Game of Thrones, everything Star Wars, everything Marvel, I was in a low spot when Thor: Ragnarok came out and boy howdy did I love that movie SO MUCH. I enjoyed Star Trek Discover without being a whiny little bitch about them messing with canon - it was fun and new and I decided not to hate it right off the bat.

Having that attitude has helped me through a lot of struggles, even when I do find myself quietly cursing situations or mumbling about people who have let me down.

I am simultaneously more connected than I have ever been in my life, while being even more isolated in my personal life.

This is a condition I can survive in for quite some time.

I like reading your posts.

Boobs.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter