User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Quicktime performance intel mac...not universal?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quicktime performance intel mac...not universal?
Tenbaum11

2006-03-22, 13:59

Hi, this may be a stupid question, but i recently received my macbook pro and was experiencing quite the slow performance from quicktime. Is quicktime not unversal yet or is there something else going on? Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-22, 14:15

QuickTime is universal. On PowerPCs, it benefits greatly from AltiVec (aka VMX aka Velocity Engine), whereas on Intel CPUs, it only has SSE3 available, which isn't quite as sophisticated. As time goes on, however, QuickTime should become more and more optimized for Intel Macs as well.

(edit) Ooh, like, post #3,000. Where's the cake?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-22, 14:42

I haven't had any QT problems. Is there are a particular stream you're having issues with?
Tenbaum11

2006-03-22, 17:48

Well no, it just seems noticably slower open videos (mostly initial start-up-takes like 30-45 seconds on macbook pro) compared with my old 12in powerbook 1.5 ghz. I also can't play nearly any wmp formatted videos even under vlc media player...is this a intel mac problem? Thanks for the previous reply.

Alex
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-22, 18:01

QuickTime actually performs better on Windows than OS X on Intel. Either way it's a lot worse than PPC Macs. A few weeks ago I compared playback of an H.264 video clip on my iBook G4 (1.2 GHz) and a Core Duo MacBook Pro (2.0 GHz). The result was 45% CPU usage on my iBook and 26% on the MBP.

I don't imagine Apple will leave the situation like that, so I think it's safe to say we'll see significant improvements in future versions of QuickTime.

As for VLC (and other video tools): they'll all move to Universal Binaries pretty soon (many already have). Be patient and you'll probably be rewarded with very good performance in these apps compared to QuickTime.