Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flash go bye-bye
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-25, 11:48

It's about time.

Rest in peace, you piece of crap!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-07-25, 11:56

Weird time we're living in.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-25, 12:11

Any web technology that cannot scale to mobile is dead. It may take years for it to die off, but it will die off.

I don't think it's due to "weird times". Mobile computing is taking over, and developers are either on board or drowning.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2017-07-25, 16:50

I'd like to say you'd be missed. But I can't.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-25, 17:23

Can't miss if you don't swing.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-07-25, 19:40

Yeah only two and half more years of suffering! Oh wait, just because they drop support doesn't mean you wont go to a site you need to use and see a "requires adobe flash" icon on just about everything for another 5 years. Yeah, some website designers are that lazy.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-07-25, 20:31

Some web designers also aren’t exactly paid any more and have better things to do than maintain something they did a decade ago.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2017-07-25, 23:34

That's fine and dandy for a site with flash today, because there are client security patches. What about in 2021, when that isn't the case anymore? I guess I shouldn't blame web site designers, but more the people who make decisions about keeping a site up to date in terms of security, you know those who haven't seen the end of flash coming and realized the need to move away from it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-26, 11:29

In Flash's defense, there are a lot of very crappy websites out there that clearly have not been updated for eons, and contain not a lick of Flash. I suspect that most websites looking to make a buck will figure it out pretty quick, or die (trying or not).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2017-08-04, 12:32

The only downside is you won't be able to watch all those early-2000s flash animations that were so popular. I'm sure all the popular ones have been put on YouTube but there's a lot of stuff out there that is going to be difficult to watch in a few years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-08-04, 12:50

I'm just glad it's finally going to go so tools I have to use now won't work any more. VMWare used it for vCenter until recently and it sucks so bad. 1Password doesn't work in Flash.

I'm sure Flash player won't die any time soon. They will keep it around for a little bit I'm guessing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-08-04, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm sure Flash player won't die any time soon. They will keep it around for a little bit I'm guessing.
According to Adobe, Flash Player will be discontinued and all updates will cease. It will exist only in your computer.

I'm guessing that Adobe Flash (the expensive creation tool) will be rebranded as an animation tool for HTML5.

chucker

2017-08-05, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm guessing that Adobe Flash (the expensive creation tool) will be rebranded as an animation tool for HTML5.
Pretty much already happened.

Adobe Flash Builder (née Flex) hasn't seen updates since 2012.
Adobe Flash Catalyst not since 2011.

Lastly, Adobe Flash Professional has started supporting stuff like HTML5, WebGL, and SVG over time, and has since been rebranded Adobe Animate.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-08-07, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
According to Adobe, Flash Player will be discontinued and all updates will cease. It will exist only in your computer.
That is awesome! I don't even have it installed in my computers so even better for me.

What really sucks though is I'm supposed to do a PCI compliance form for my church. The thing it that form is Flash driven. I don't have Flash installed nor do I plan to. I don't even have Chrome installed that used to have Flash built in (it might still I just don't know). I can't wait for these companies to have to move on.

Oh, photo web sites are the worse too! They DRM their photos by making them Flash. I'm so glad this era is coming to an official end.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-19, 16:58

So....

Windows officially killed Flash in Windows 10 via updates. I actually needed Flash still. I'm now a subject of collateral damage.

Well, vCenter Server 6 requires Flash for its web interface. I have an environment that hasn't been upgraded yet. The old VMware Client is limited in what it can do. I actually considered downloading a mirrored "install_flash_player.exe" and cross my fingers it wasn't ladened with malware. I am not going to do that, though it is really temping.

On the bight side, getting that environment is now a priority! Yay! I just have to do it without the use of the old web interface.

Personally, I'm so glad to see Flash actually dead. I just wish I didn't have this environment to deal with professionally.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-19, 19:06

Can't say I even remember the last time I used something that was flash based. Must have been years ago. So long, but not sad.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-19, 19:23

Yeah, I haven't actually had Flash installed on any of my computers (work or home) in at least 5 years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-19, 19:28

Remember that post I made upthread in 2017.... "It wasn't going to be any time soon." At least I predicted that right. Funny enough, the reason I gave is what is bitting me in the butt right now.

I haven't used Flash outside of work for years too. That is why I can't connect to the vCenter right now, nothing else with Flash installed that wasn't Win10 and killed by the update.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-19, 19:30

Same. Ever since Steve wrote that open letter about it, actually before that, I was done with it. It's been years since I've downloaded/installed/updated it. I remember in the early days of the iPhone how that was Apple's big "ball drop" because the iPhone didn't support it.

Even non-techie that I am, I was like "why would it?".

Glad it's gone.

PS - I don't miss SCSI, Syquest drives, spinning hard drives, standalone webcams and mice with balls in them either.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-19, 19:38

My mother texted me yesterday in an absolute *PANIC* about getting the dialog to uninstall Flash from her computer.

"But I *NEED* it!"

Explained to her that it was years deprecated, and that it wasn't worth the security holes it brought.

"But what if a website I need uses it??"

"Find another site? They've literally had five years to prepare for this, and it's been well announced."

I didn't ask her what site, I assume it's one of her fringe alt-facts purveyors.

But yeah, some of The Olds are having conniptions.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-19, 20:16

My mother did the same thing, she was miffed that all her card and board games didn't work anymore. The sites must have been working on it, because most of them are back already.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-19, 20:43

I wanted to show folks an animated Flash Christmas card that I made years ago. I thought that I had already saved it to a video file but I hadn't. Fortunately I was able to open the SWF in my Flash app and then do a video screen capture. I need to save it to YouTube!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 10:20

I wonder if you can still upload .flv files directly to YouTube... did you try that? I know you used to be able to do that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 13:12

Yep, you can directly upload .flv files to YouTube still. I just tried with one I had saved long ago.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-22, 15:55

Oooo.... really?!!

I will try tonight.