Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Validating Flash

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Validating Flash
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-04-09, 23:50

I just launched a new site for somebody today called BridgingMethod.com and as one of the end-of-the-race wrap-up events decided to see if it would validate. Naturally I caught a handful of errors, but was surprised to realize that Flash doesn't validate!! Then I really sat down to read the Flash Satay technique, which really is a hack.

Does anyone know if Adobe/W3C are working to make Flash able to be validated WITHOUT hacks?

EDIT: took the site back down for the bosses, while they make some changes.
EDIT: okay, panic over, it's back up

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2007-04-10 at 16:04.
Jerman

2007-04-10, 00:08

Of course one of the new issues is IE. I browsed the article you linked to, so I apologize if I missed this... But I have turned to Java Script to embed my flash movies, as IE now requires an extra click otherwise because of some sort of ridiculous lawsuit. It drives me nuts that this is basically the only part of my code that does not validate properly...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-04-10, 00:20

WHAT?? That's beyond stupid. Will have to look that up tomorrow. If you have any links about it please share.
Jerman

2007-04-10, 00:52

The way I discovered it was when I was at school and viewed my site in IE, I noticed that flash movies would show up with a border around them when hovered over with the cursor, and had to be "Activated" then you could use them like normal. I use Jeroen Wijering's flash video and audio player for my site, and it includes the javascript hack. You can view his flash embedding tutorial here:

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Embedding_Flash

I remember reading more about this at other sites, but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. Hope it helps, and I will post again if I can find the others/remember.

Edit: After I posted I found this link in the tutorial I linked to:

http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/ufo/

But I think Jeroen sums it up quite nicely in his tutorial. I am not sure about what the *proper* way to go about it is, but because it is in itself a hack, I have said screw it with validation for flash code. As long as it works in all modern browsers, (and by modern, I mean browsers < 6 years old or so) I am happy.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-04-10, 16:08

I realized today that I'd seen that weird tool tip kind of box floating above the Flash content in IE, and that there was a border around the Flash. Things like this are beyond bizarre. As a user/creator it's so bloody stupid to have to do these continual workarounds. This is the equivalent of a Letter A carved into Microsoft's chest.... what GOOD does it accomplish to punish the userbase? To chase them away from the Microsoft platform?

These guys think the internet is a system of tubes.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Jerman

2007-04-10, 19:20

Well, I believe it was some sort of (ridiculous) lawsuit against Microsoft. Ahh, found a little article about it:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...nge/1141233576

Has to do with ActiveX, of all things.