User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

does building a computer count as creative?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
does building a computer count as creative?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-01-18, 02:41

If it does, I want advice. I want it to be under $1000, but I want it to be awesome. I have no idea where to start. I am a little drunk right now. well maybe a lot drunk. but I still want to know where to start. srsly. ideal situations: code with Visual Studio, DVR, starcraft 2. anything in addition would be sweettttt. love you guys. and girls. peace.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-01-18, 04:53

I think it could only be classed as creative if you are going to do some major cool case mods.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-18, 06:06

Or if you built it entirely out of gears.

[/Babbage]
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-01-19, 11:46

I just finished building a computer that is sitting in my entertainment center under my TV and acts as my DVR. It's Windows XP based, was built for around $400, works amazingly well as a DVR, will be able to handle Starcraft 2 with no difficulty, and is hooked up via HDMI to my Samsung 46" LCD TV.

I used a basic case that can be picked up from any computer store. I just so happened to use tigerdirect.com (CompUSA retail stores, my brother lives about a half mile away from one of them so I went to "visit" him and took some time out to go to CompUSA as well.) The prices there are hard to beat and the return policy is nice too in case something doesn't work out.

I have a 450w power supply connected to a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Motherboard with a 2 gig ram chip. I'm using a Pentium Dual Core processor, I went with that because it was cheap, not because it was necessarily the best thing out there. The listed MoBo is compatable with Core 2 Duo, and i5 and i7 processors, so if you're willing to pay more, you can go higher end. For DVR purposes though, it's just fine.

I have a EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card (1gig DDR2, PCI-E) that does a wonderful job with the HD video and is 1080p compatible in case you want to watch Blu-Ray or some other 1080p source via the computer. My TV tuner card is a Hauppauge WinTV-HD. I just linked to the product page, I can't remember off the top of my head which card I actually have. I'll look in to it and post again later. I also have a Netgear wireless card in there.

I'm really pleased with how well it's working out so far. The mobo supports HDMI, so if you hook up the motherboard to the video card and use a DVI to HDMI cable, it will carry 5.1 surround sound on it, which is pretty cool IMO. The TV tuner card comes with DVR software (it works well enough, no need to purchase something else) and a remote, which is really nice.

The interface isn't bad, the picture quality is indistinguishable from broadcast TV, and aside from the up front cost, there's no monthly bill to pay for TiVo or for renting a STB from your cable provider.

I have antenna TV, I do not have cable, I don't know how well this will work for cable or if it will work at all.

A couple tips: that motherboard has 1 PCI-E slot and only 2 additional PCI slots, if you want more, don't get that board. I don't need more because a sound card is unnecessary with what the motherboard can do in combination with that graphics card. Digital video, specifically HD video, takes up a TON of HDD space. Expect somewhere in the area of 10-12 gb per hour. Get a big, fast HDD. Good luck!

Come waste your time with me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-19, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
I have a 450w power supply connected to a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Motherboard with a 2 gig ram chip. I'm using a Pentium Dual Core processor, I went with that because it was cheap, not because it was necessarily the best thing out there. The listed MoBo is compatable with Core 2 Duo, and i5 and i7 processors, so if you're willing to pay more, you can go higher end. For DVR purposes though, it's just fine.
It is physcially impossible to put a Core i5 or Core i7 into a 775 socket, so I'm not sure how it is compatible with anything later than a Core 2 series CPU, it even says in the specs on that page that it isn;t Core i5 or Core i7 compatible.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-01-19, 13:06

Sorry, I was confused. I thought that I had read that it would work with the i5 or i7. Thanks for the correction!