Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Does anyone homebrew hereabouts?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does anyone homebrew hereabouts?
faramirtook
A for effort.

2012-06-15, 14:14

I've been homebrewing for about nine months, and done 10 batches- the first few extract, but I made the jump to all-grain and I really really like it. My last brewday was a partigyle brew- a 1.1 imperial stout and a 1.055 stout porter.

It's a great hobby, since you get to drink the results. Not all of my results have been the best beer ever, but none have been anywhere NEAR undrinkable.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-06-15, 14:36

I've always wanted to try. How expensive are the startup costs? How quick are the turn around on batches?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-06-15, 17:56

We have an old thread, with references to even older threads on AI, which I revived only recently, but with respect to my current mead project, not beer and the thread itself was originally about cider.

But I have brewed beer too. Very rewarding indeed.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2012-06-24, 09:42

There's a groupon out there that will get you everything you need besides a big-ass* kettle and bottles from like ~75 shipped, including a starter kit. You'll be drinking your first beer 4-6 weeks after brew day: you'll leave the beer in the fermenter for 2-4 weeks, and then two weeks in the bottles to carbonate.

*3 gallons is big enough for the beginner, but the bigger you go, the better off you'll be. No starter equipment becomes useless when you decide to move up to more complicated techniques, so if you're buying a kettle, I'd recommend one that could comfortably boil 6-7 gallons of water.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-06-24, 10:09

Ive been looking up kits and recipes for hefeweizens. I'm really tempted to give it a shot.