User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Install woes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Install woes
dpysieg

2005-11-29, 10:26

I'm trying to install iLife onto my PowerBook from the install disk, but my optical drive is acting up. When I put in the install disk, the disk shows up, I can start the install, but when I get to the "Select Destination" page a window drops down telling me "Error Reading Package: The package is damaged and cannot be read" - but the disk is fine as I've checked it in another machine. So I put the disk into that other machine and copied the contents onto my iPod and tried getting it onto my machine that way - apparently a rookie move, because that didn't work. Does anyone know how I might make the install given this effed up optical drive? I have at my disposal an iPod that works fine with the laptop, a desktop whose optical drive works fine, the install disk, and my lousy laptop. Thanks for any advice!
kaseyha

2005-11-29, 19:01

You could try creating a disk image of the install CD on the desktop that has the working optical drive and then try the install from the disk image. Your best bet is to get a new install disk, even if the desktop can read it, there probably is something wrong with the disk.