Minecraft News General Discussion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft News General Discussion
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-02-05, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I think people just need to accept that Minecraft structures and resources aren't forever. They're just for as long as that "revision" of the world lasts.
True. I love to build big things, but it takes so much time gathering resources that by the time I'm half-way through a project the world gets yanked. It's a sad thing, but something that needs to be planned for.

On the other hand, what fun is it to build a bunch of small stuff just because the world will be burned down eventually?

I really like building community stuff like the trashcan-treefarm and such. I know others like to have their own in basements or whatever, but what I'd really like are actual community things that everyone uses.

The individual stuff is great and fun, but it's overlap, honestly. I'd like to see a new community building and farming together. That's kind've always been my dream, and probably why I've built all these community structures in every world we've been in.

I don't know why it's never stuck, honestly. I thought it would be the most logical thing ever - especially in MC - to have a small city of farming structures that we all used.

No biggie. I understand that people may need a shit-ton of one specific thing or a basement full of duckens for themselves (wtf?) , but to me it kind've defeats the purpose of playing a game with one another. Why hide farms underground? Let's put all that shit topside and let everyone and anyone take part.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-02-05 at 22:55.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-05, 23:08

Some of us are afraid to venture far from our homes at night

::shiver::

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-02-06, 06:17

i like the community stuff as well... and obviously have let my larger projects languish in the past because of it... *ahem* sky ranch *ahem*...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-02-07, 02:32

You know, I'd really like to try having using more community-based stuff like that in the next world. I haven't done a giant project in several worlds now - not for a lack of wanting to, but for a lack of energy and too huge of plans (exactly what my next problem will be, LOL). I do have a massive plan, however. It's been in development since we got Tekkit and the micro blocks Redpower allows. Brad and Robo will be ecstatic when I get to build it, assuming Robo rejoins us at some point. It *will* require Redpower to build, however.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-08, 21:03

After doing some tests at home this week, I think Feed the Beast (probably using the Direwolf20 mod pack) is the way for us to go now. It has most of the stuff from Tekkit, adds even more stuff (some of it quite useless and just "for looks" for now, though), and should in theory perform better on the client-side since it is based on a newer version of Minecraft. I tried the nether recently, and it doesn't bog down at all like it does/did with tekkit. I'll start working on setting up the server tonight and documenting the client setup process for you guys.

As for the community topic, gerlocian and I have been talking offline again about what we could do about the new world. I think the idea for Technopolis was a good premise, but it was flawed from the start because the town structure greatly limits the amount of mining, exploration, and creation that any individual can do in the area. That kills a lot of the fun in the game. What we need is breathing room for everyone to stretch out yet still find something to help weave a cohesive community.

So, here are my thoughts for the next world to come. Think back to the Bridgeport glory days. I think that part of what made BP successful wasn't necessarily that we had a central town, which we've since tried and failed to get working well in the last few worlds, but that we mostly all sprawled out to explore on our own and then connected back to each other using the skyway network. I would like to recreate that kind of environment, but we should add a few rules to foster community projects.

First, I would suggest we immediately split up and fan out across the new world after creating a simple "safe house" at spawn. Pick a direction, and go! Once you find a place where you'd like to settle down, clear some trees and land, build your first home, and get to work on the essentials. After establishing yourself, if you decide that the area works for you, build your section of skyway back to spawn! This way, spawn becomes a central hub to connect us all, but no one individual is responsible for designing and building the connections between us. For the skyway, we'd need to agree on a width and height, but the rest is up to you (construction materials, onramp stairs vs ladders vs teleporters, etc). Eventually, spawn would grow to have more buildings than just the safe house, and the skyway network would connect us back to them, but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

Second, I'm glad that 709 pointed out how everybody has had little farms in their basements. I agree that those are partly to blame for other community projects never taking off. If you don't have to return to the surface to get food or fuel or other renewable resources, why would you bother trekking far away from your house for them? So, we should institute a ban on personal farms. No animal farms, no tree farms, and no crop farms! Instead, all farms have to be community-driven from the central spawn area. You take some, and you replant and breed to replace what you took. To get everyone started so you don't starve before the farms appear, I'll magic in and divvy up a starter supply of melons for everyone to have. You're allowed a small subsistence farm of 8 melons at your home, but please no more! The community farming will only work if we all participate.

Third, as we set up the structures around the spawn hub, we should set up trading posts or stores in the hub town. I don't think we need to set up official structures early on, nor do I think we should all be forced into sharing a single community exchange building. With the newer mod packs, resources like diamonds will become precious again now that we won't have alchemical magic to create resources out of nothing. An interesting machine block that we haven't really used yet is the Trade-O-Mat. If you have something to sell, hook it up to a Trade-O-Mat and name your price. It works without any supervision as long as there are resources to sell from the adjacent chest! If the Trade-O-Mat isn't your thing, you could do old-fashioned trades or just donate resources to a common pool. Maybe this would finally get a community economy going?

What are your thoughts on these proposals? Do you like them? Do you think they would work? Would you be willing to try them for a while?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 21:43

So a subsistence patch of melons and wheat counts as a "farm"?

I want my own patch, for when it's raining or I don't want to take a long trip back to Spawn.... a ban on personal patches is too "nanny" for me.

Animal farms? Sure, wouldn't bother me if one person wants to specialize.

#lightplayer

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-02-08, 21:45

I'm totally down with this idea. I miss the skywalks in BP probably more than anything.

One tiny amendment to the personal farm thing though. I think we should each be able to have a farm of 8 or so melons. Just in case the hunger kicks in and you need a quick bite. 8 would give about 3/4 of a stack, and that's more than enough to keep going if you're working on a project or until you get back to spawn for the goods.

I think the "single-person managed" farms may be problematic in that sometimes players may be gone for an extended amount of time, so that particular item may not get back to spawn for a while. If all the farms are near spawn, anyone can harvest, put extras in chests and replant. The ANMC CO-OP!

So it goes.
gerlocian

2013-02-08, 22:01

I like the co-op idea. One farm where you take what you need, but you are responsible for replanting for the next person.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-08, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think the "single-person managed" farms may be problematic in that sometimes players may be gone for an extended amount of time, so that particular item may not get back to spawn for a while. If all the farms are near spawn, anyone can harvest, put extras in chests and replant. The ANMC CO-OP!
Very good point. Community-only farms it is! I'll amend that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I want my own patch, for when it's raining or I don't want to take a long trip back to Spawn....
Quote:
I think we should each be able to have a farm of 8 or so melons. Just in case the hunger kicks in and you need a quick bite.
Fair points. Let's say you can farm 8 melon patches, but no more.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-02-08, 22:44

And a small tree farm once you are way out and need wood/charcoal/etc. to get your skyway up and running.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 22:50

Agree. You can't get stuff done in the outback if you have to keep going to town. (patch of 8 means 8 squares, right?)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-08, 23:11

My only concern about spawn being the source of food (other than wild kills I assume) is that someone needs to be there for the chunk to be active.

Loving the overall plan though! Skyways and Nether walks will be great.

Also, when we switch over to the new player, please post all the links and guides as needed. I'm not able to play a whole lot as of right now just because life has been that way. This means researching before I play is less fun resulting in less play.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 23:54

He's too busy breaking phones these days

gerlocian

2013-02-09, 01:25

I see the server up again, but it won't let me connect. I'll try again tomorrow.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-09, 01:39

Immediate question coming to mind regarding the proposed model - are teleporters banned, then? Nobody will be anywhere close to powering one for a good while, but once they are realistic, do we ban them on the premise of making the Skyway be used?

gerlocian

2013-02-09, 08:26

I don't think we should ban them. Like you said, it will be a while before we get them up and running, and the skyway would not suffer. I think we could convert the skyway with a rail system and I imagine that some people could choose a preferred travel option. I like the idea of riding a minecart most of the time, with the option of teleportation in an emergency.
¡Damned!

2013-02-09, 13:48

I'll take the job of building a treefarm again if nobody minds.

There's a bunch of new trees, but from what I can gather the wood isn't craftable into any new colored planks. The Fir, Redwood and Acacia blocks are kind've neat looking if used as a building block though. I am curious what color planks each will generate.

I like the concept of the trashcan, but I think I may adapt it a bit and go square instead of circular (maybe), plus I'm going to start the farm at bedrock level so the first 7 tiers are underground. Still open in the center for tall jungle trees, and possibly a second center level for redwoods. It'll still probably stick up above the ground ~30 blocks or so, but at least it won't be so looming.

The 4 autumn trees I think I'll just give one level (or two). The wood looks to be the same as oak so the only value of those would be saplings for people that wanted to plant some colorful trees around their house or grab the leaves for some nicely colored shrubbery. I'll probably take the Oak down from 3 to 2 levels too, depending on how close together the Autumn trees are able to be planted.

[edit]: So I just did a couple of quick sketches and I think by expanding the farming rows by 6 blocks I can actually decrease the size of the structure (slightly) if I go with a square-ish build. So instead of 19 plantable blocks per planting strip I'm going with 25, and that way I can decrease the amount of levels for each tree. In an ideal world everything would be below ground except for the Redwoods and fir (and maybe a center giant rubber tree), so I'm hoping that I can do that. I may have to build on a hill.

I think I may even do only 1 level (4 planting strips) of Oak. That's 100 trees, and at a minimum of 4 tree-blocks a pop that's a shit-ton of potentially craftable loot. I'll probably make that the level closest to bedrock though, as it's more of a harvesting-resource than the more valuable trees for crafting colored planks.

It'll take some testing to see how Autumn trees grow, but I assume they'll grow as tightly together as Oak given that they're just Oak trees with fancy leaves. Acacia I'm assuming needs 1 space between plantings like Birch does.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-02-09 at 16:18.
¡Damned!

2013-02-09, 16:08

One other thing, now that I'm thinking about it: Obviously people are going to be scrambling for sand and redrock in the new world right off the bat. I'd like to suggest setting up mines at the very edge of the discovered biomes just in case someone wants to live in the same biome. I for one don't want to live next to a factory, so I would set up my house on the other farthest edge away from the strip-mines (if I decided a desert was my thing this time).

With the large biomes I think this is feasible, but I still wanted to put that out there before we all get all rapey. There's nothing uglier than a land stripped to stone, so I think we should all be on top of this.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-09, 21:07

Love
- new world excitement
- stripmines (drew loves teh glass)
- skywalks like in good old BP

Would like, if these aren't a server load:
- watermelon (done)
- 3 to 4 basement trees
- 6 to 9 squares of wheat

As far as the world?

I vote for vanilla.

Mostly because I'd love to see how the newest version plays in multi-player.

hearts to all, regardless

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-09, 22:26

Okay, I just played Minecraft 1.4.x.7 and dug ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BEDROCK.

Believe it or not.

Didn't hit a single pocket of monsters or water or lava.
I consider this to be a success.

ALSO!!!

Grey, I was in game with Dellphi and he removed redwire that lit up your lighthouse to see if that was a problem (knowing that Brad was doing superscale problem solving).... he asked me to mention it here, but acknowledged that it didn't really matter because the world will be changing soon.

Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-09, 22:50

Quote:
One other thing, now that I'm thinking about it: Obviously people are going to be scrambling for sand and redrock in the new world right off the bat. I'd like to suggest setting up mines at the very edge of the discovered biomes just in case someone wants to live in the same biome. I for one don't want to live next to a factory, so I would set up my house on the other farthest edge away from the strip-mines (if I decided a desert was my thing this time).

With the large biomes I think this is feasible, but I still wanted to put that out there before we all get all rapey. There's nothing uglier than a land stripped to stone, so I think we should all be on top of this.
Agreed. I think spreading out a bit may help alleviate some of those issues, too, but certainly agreed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-10, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Agreed. I think spreading out a bit may help alleviate some of those issues, too, but certainly agreed.
Do not underestimate the size of the large biomes! If Grey were to set up in the nearest desert, the second-nearest may be a long distance away. In the experimentation I've been doing locally, some seed have generated zero deserts in the ~1000-block radius around spawn that I explored.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-10, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Grey, I was in game with Dellphi and he removed redwire that lit up your lighthouse to see if that was a problem (knowing that Brad was doing superscale problem solving).... he asked me to mention it here, but acknowledged that it didn't really matter because the world will be changing soon.
For what it's worth, Grey's lighthouse probably contributes zilch to the performance issue when compared to the other devices in town. Take a look at the cobble factory under Turtle's house, for instance.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-10, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
For what it's worth, Grey's lighthouse probably contributes zilch to the performance issue when compared to the other devices in town. Take a look at the cobble factory under Turtle's house, for instance.
Oh yeah, that is a drop generating machine! I can turn it off too for testing if you'd like. I'll do it right now.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-10, 19:45

Turn mine of to check, too, if you need.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-02-10, 22:23

Just for craps and giggles, you may want to ping Lenny's outgoing connection. FiOS had some severe intermittent DNS issues here the last month.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-10, 22:40

I use OpenDNS for that so it's not a DNS issue. Plus, that would only impact the lookup for logging in, not using the service. Thanks for an idea to check though!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-02-10, 23:37

So, when are we going to get a new world? I'd like to hop back in then, if work permits.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-11, 00:44

We're patiently waiting on Brad and Turtle, both of whom are working as hard as they can to figure out what some of the current issues plaguing the server are. Once those issues are solved, we'll likely get a new world.

In the meantime, I've been working on a world in SSP with Feed The Beast Direwolf20. Found a frozen redwood biome. LURVE.

Foj
Veteran Member

2013-04-16, 10:44

Was a guest on a friend's stream last night and I showed her around my place on the MC server we're both part of. It goes on for the first 20 minutes of the stream. Lot's of goofing.

http://www.twitch.tv/honneyplay/b/391474431

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.