Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.10: The Frostburn Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.10: The Frostburn Update!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2016-06-08, 13:30

A little update, but I'd take 3 or 4 of these a year over a yearly (or more) update. Some neat stuff, a few new mobs and a handful of new blocks:

Magma Block, Nether Wart Block, Red Nether Brick and Bone Block:

All creatable by existing loot. The Magma Block can be found in the Nether (though we'd have to go pretty far out to find fresh land) and the Bone Block can be found in the wild underground, making up Fossils.

New mobs include Polar Bears, Strays and Husks:

Passive unless cubs are near.

Ice skellies. Shoots tipped arrows of Slowness.

Desert zombies.

A few other neat things like mesa mines (dark oak, large chance of gold ore), more biome specific villages (and the rare chance of a zombie villager village), and little things like super-tall mushrooms, fun hanging-sand animations and some new sounds.

Structure blocks too, but those are admin-only goodies. Anyways, check out the full list of updates here.

I doubt we'll need a world trim this time around since nothing much changes besides mineshafts in the mesa areas and fossils beneath deserts & swamps. There's enough unexplored area still where if you really wanted to you could find them.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-08, 14:03

You still playing that silly game?

Haven't had much free time, so haven't been in much. Still, I'll see ya' 'round!
¡Damned!

2016-06-08, 14:24

Off and on, as time allows. Summers are always so busy...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-08, 14:40

Right there with you. Got two books in the works, we're getting ready to move the shop, the garden is growing. You know, all the less important things.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2016-06-08, 19:36

Crap I'm going to have to wall off the desert by the mountain to keep out the Husks.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-08, 21:29

I didn't realize 1.10 was out now! How long has it been out? Maybe we should look at upgrading the server for this too.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 09:35

Just yesterday, but it was a wham-bam of snapshots/pre-releases. I'd love it if this was the new norm, like back in the Beta days.

The server should be OK to upgrade, I'd think. There might be some texture pack issues (I think Brad tweaked the color of the netherbrick to be redder, and now we have red netherbrick) but nothing major. I think we get the default textures if they aren't included in Brad's pack, and none of the new ones are horrible.

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-06-09, 11:59

I wouldn't mind a trim to make some of the new underground stuff a little closer to home though. Cuts down on the world bloat.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 14:34

We could almost use the same trim as last time, but we'd need to add 2 more chunks center-south to keep the extended rail. Other than that I don't think there's been any new building outside the edges. (?)

I hope we don't lose our freaky little ghost villages and temples!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 15:00

OptiFine has smooth dynamic lighting now too (in 1.9.4), and the effects are pretty amazing. (source vid w/extra weird hype)
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-06-09, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
We could almost use the same trim as last time, but we'd need to add 2 more chunks center-south to keep the extended rail. Other than that I don't think there's been any new building outside the edges. (?)

I hope we don't lose our freaky little ghost villages and temples!
We shouldn't. I think those IDs remain. I also hope not to lose the underground monument that I plan to turn into a Necropolis.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 18:40

Yeah, I don't know how any of that works. I think this cross between 1.8/1.9 was a nice accident, but I have no idea why it happened.

I understand the seed thing, but I have no idea how they got crossed. That is, just the village/temple/monument data. It's weird. Villages and temples apparently keep the same xyz, so some are buried and some are on stilts in 1.9. I haven't seen your underground monument yet, but that's another oddity, since when I boat out into the ocean where a monument was before (in 1.8), it's just nasty fishes swimming around. The same thing happened when we went from 1.7 to 1.8 (try swimming off Drew's dock downtown ! ) but that a monument survived underground is really unique.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 19:21

It's funny, because when I read a post from someone that has a strong opinion about anything in LoL or DotA I'm 99% of the time thinking either "what in the fuck you people" or "i have no idea what is going on here".

I imagine it's similar for the AN lurkers in any MC thread, even though MC is ridiculously easy.

*League of Legends **Defense of the Ancients ***Your Mom

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-06-09, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
OptiFine has smooth dynamic lighting now too (in 1.9.4), and the effects are pretty amazing. (source vid w/extra weird hype)
That is awesome.
¡Damned!

2016-06-09, 22:22

I know, right? It's client-side, so if you don't see it I don't see it.

The light isn't permanent, obviously, and it doesn't scare away mobs, but hooboy is it ever neat.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-06-11, 19:42

Oh wow that was an unexpected update! I guess I need to jump into the game more often.

What's the verdict on the chunk trim discussion a few posts above? Should I find time to twiddle the bits this weekend?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-12, 00:19

Yes, you should definitely find time.

Don't feel bad, I didn't realize there was an update either.
¡Damned!

2016-06-12, 09:03

Dooo eeet.
¡Damned!

2016-06-15, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
That is awesome.
OptiFine for 1.10 released!

plz Brad
¡Damned!

2016-06-24, 21:40

+2 chunks heading South. Everyone is inside the borders now, so we should be good to go to 1.10? Yes?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-24, 23:28

Yes!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-25, 10:46

I'm good with that trim. I'm hoping Brad hops on and does it. He told me how, but I don't want to mess with it if I can help it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2016-06-29, 08:29

bard where you is
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-09, 15:10

shit shit shit

I'm about to get on this now for reals
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-09, 15:36

Sorry for the delays, guys. I was intending to help out a lot more here and I dropped the ball. The last month ended up tying up all my spare time between interviews, traveling around to get related things in motion, and then starting the new job. (All is doing well on that front, btw.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-09, 16:02

that said, it looks like new things are working!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-07-09, 17:59

Welp looks like the random error that spawned the underground monument corrected itself and it didn't re-spawn post wipe. Oh well I wouldn't have gotten to it until 2021 and 4 worlds from now anyways.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-07-09, 20:58

Woo Hoo! I'll try to get on later tonight. I'll also look to make the map of the last archive prior to the upgrade. I'll post about that in the Maps thread once it's done and a new map generated.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-07-09, 22:02

One block high glass panes no longer serve as a fence. You walk into them and bounce up and keep walking over them. Keep that in mind for those who use it like a fence.

Edit: Looks like that is true for more than just glass. I'm auto-climbing everything now. Is this a setting we can change or a carry over from the mobile version of the game?

Edit 2!: L looks like Auto-Jump is enabled by default. Turn it off in Controls and you should be fine:

¡Damned!

2016-07-11, 11:41

Thanks again, Brad. Happy to hear about the new job.