User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wiki
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-04-03, 09:38

I've had Firefox sitting around for about a month but have only just started using it. But I'm liking it a lot. The fact I've got some gremlin in the system that's screwing with Safari, certainly influences the matter. Anyway, that's bye-the-bye and something to be dealt with in the fullness of time.

To the matter at hand.

Anybody a wiki contributor? Preferably Wikinews but Wikipedia would do. I'm doing an assignment for Big People's School. Here's the drill:

Quote:
Access an online media forum through the Internet (Channel Nine, ABC, BBC etc) or weblog (eg. www.blogger.com, www.diarist.net, www.back-to-iraq.com) and summarise the forum/blog for the class in terms of

- topics
- what the forum is trying to achieve
- issues raised
- relevance to local/regional communities

What a pile of crap I thought. So I thought Wikinews would be an interesting perspective.

So anybody got any comments? You won't be identified (by username or otherwise). If you want me to be delicate about airing any of Wikimedia's dirty laundry say so and, in the words of Jean-Luc Pickard (sp?), I'll make it so. If you don't want their dirty washing aired at all, don't tell me.

Even if you're a user of Wikinews but not a contributor and you've got something to say, say it. It'll fool 'em into thinking I've done some real research ("an anonymous user of the service I contacted said.....")

IOW, I'll take anything. You can make stuff up, they won't fucking know. It's almost 12.30 am my time. It's due tomorrow morning. I'd really like to get at least some sleep tonight, so shake a leg.

I'm off to paraphrase Wikinews's FAQ.

Ciao bellas.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-04-03, 09:52

Check out:
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-04-03, 10:11

Man, being in school in today's world is so inCREDibly different from when I did it - makes me jealous. There was a recent article on the history of the Wikipedia in WIRED magazine. And, it's Picard (said through gritted teeth because I didn't like the series all that much but that's a different thread, a month or so back).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
crazychester

2005-04-03, 10:14

Sweet. I can use them. "Criticism has been levelled against Wikipedia...blah, blah, blah...but this also pertains to Wikinews...blah, blah, blah..." I've spotted them banging on about similar stuff in the Wikinews "Talk" thingy. Searched "criticism of Wikinews" but it's nanoo, nanoo.

They're so thick staphy. The students. It's very depressing. I've been trying to prod them towards critical thinking but they went all thing on me in the discussion forums because I told them their arguments were "piss weak". No darlinks, personal experience doth not an argument make. Sigh. Hell, the lecturer called one of them a racist.

Someone here or there is a Wikipedia contributor. I remember reading it just a few weeks back. Come on. Fucking well own up.
crazychester

2005-04-03, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Man, being in school in today's world is so inCREDibly different from when I did it - makes me jealous. There was a recent article on the history of the Wikipedia in WIRED magazine. And, it's Picard (said through gritted teeth because I didn't like the series all that much but that's a different thread, a month or so back).
Trust me you wouldn't be jealous if you were a 43 year old shoved in with a bunch of wet behind the ears 18 year olds. And I do mean wet behind the ears. It's making me look at the A* youngsters in a whole new light. To think l'il Barto made me reconsider my views on copyright. These dildos couldn't make me reconsider my views on what day to wash my hair.

Picard, right. He's kinda sexy tho'. In that bald man sort of way.

OK. Stop procrastinating. Where were we? Oh you, subtle plagiarism, that's right.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 10:26

I edited a few pages on the very first wiki a long time (i.e. about 4 years) ago, but I never contributed to other public wikis...
crazychester

2005-04-03, 14:50

I'm done. I've used something from pretty much everybody's suggestions. Thanks. You've been absolute champs. (Unlike those people at that other site who proved absolutely useless. Grrrrrr.)

In true, anally retentive Apple user style, I've done a far better job than I really needed to. It's 5.50 am and I'm going to go and catch an hour's kip.

Merci beaucoup.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-04-03, 17:45

crazy,
I went into the jungle and the jungle came out with me, and is now, quite litterally, eating me alive. Why is it that I serve as such a tasty morsel as I do to all sorts of jungle life? Will I grow resistent to the fungus among us or the ameoba cruising its way through my lower digestive track?

These are thoughts to ponder as you watch the eighteen-year old twit in front of you pop a pimple on his back today...
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-04-03, 19:44

Sounds like you plan your assessment-doing time almost as well as me! (The difference being that I wouldn't bother going to bed until after it was submitted).

Love your work,

-S
crazychester

2005-04-04, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
crazy,
I went into the jungle and the jungle came out with me, and is now, quite litterally, eating me alive. Why is it that I serve as such a tasty morsel as I do to all sorts of jungle life? Will I grow resistent to the fungus among us or the ameoba cruising its way through my lower digestive track?

These are thoughts to ponder as you watch the eighteen-year old twit in front of you pop a pimple on his back today...
I willed the bugs of doom to be teleported out of your body, across the globe and into the unsuspecting guts of the brain dead youth, but when I left at the end of class, they were still looking pretty healthy.

Get well soon, chook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staphy
Sounds like you plan your assessment-doing time almost as well as me! (The difference being that I wouldn't bother going to bed until after it was submitted).
I pissed it in. Mind you, Idiots Anonymous made it pretty easy to look good. Examples of the forums they chose. Dog Church and, specifically, the thread entitled Should marijuana be legalised? When he started his presentation by announcing it was a topic very important to him, I could tell he'd really put some thought into this assignment. And then there was the Michael Jackson forum. The picture caught his eye. Yeah well, that figures.

No, I had to get some sleep because tonight I've got to stay up and study for a copyright test. Why do I need to know how long copyright is on photos when I can just look it up? The workload is insane. I never had to work like this at uni.

I'll fire up iChat. Give me a hoy if you're around staphy. I need a mainframe computer (do they still exist?) One that's available to be filmed. Well, I don't. The person I'm doing the filming for does.

Anyway, back to the grind.