Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

turning off auto connect

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
turning off auto connect
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-13, 08:45

Ok, in the summer I was at home using my parents broadband connection. They use a usb modem to connect to it not a router, as they have only one computer. Since I was using the connection more than they were, I set up my iBook to connect as soon as it found a connection.

The problem is, that now I am at uni I don't need this setting, everytime I wake my iBook or boot up it says device doesn't exsist so a connection could not be made. I have looked in network settings but I can't find away to remove this device, nor can I find a way or remember where I set it to do this. Its getting very annoying. Any help would be much appreciated.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 09:34

In your network preference pane I'm going to guess that you've got "automatic" selected in the Location drop down menu. Go to that menu and select "New Location" setup and name that location (for example) University. Than create a separate one for your parent's house. You can maintain different settings and preferences depending on which location you have selected.

Come waste your time with me
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-13, 09:46

Have tried that, I just sent my iBook to sleep and woke it again, and it appears to have worked. If it persisits like this then I will be back for anymore ideas.

Thnaks in the time being though!!