Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

RAM problem with new iBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
RAM problem with new iBook
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Mr. X

2005-01-04, 15:38

I can't believe this!!! I just got my new G4 iBook today....after installing the 1GB of RAM from Crucial.com, I click on "About Mac," and it says I only have 768 MB of RAM!!!! WTF??? So, I reinstall it, and now it says I only have 256.....tried it again, same thing: 256 MB of RAM.

I am so upset right now. I researched, took advice, and saved money by buying my own RAM. If I could do it all over, I'd pay the extra money and have Apple max it preinstalled.

Does anyone have a fix? If not, I'm taking the RAM out, sending it back to crucial, and bringing my iBook to the Apple Store A.S.A.P. to have them put 1GB of RAM in.

What a nightmare...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-04, 15:47

Ohmigosh...FIRST of all, calm down just a bit. This is all fixable and not the end of the world.

Why don't you contact Crucial and tell THEM the situation, and possibly arrange for a return/exchange? Are you sure the RAM is seated properly in the iBook? Did you follow the instructions (remove battery, etc.)?

Maybe you got a bad one from Crucial. It happens, I suppose. But, as I say, it's fixable, and you're not on the hook for anything.

I don't think you're going to get anything more special or "extra good" from Apple than you would Crucial. And they'll put it in the exact same way you will, except they might be wearing a cooler T-shirt or something while doing it...

It could very well just be a faulty DIMM. Contact Crucial...that's what I'd do.

Maybe you give it another try, making sure you're doing everything exactly as the iBook manual says/illustrates? I don't know, X. I've put RAM in about 12 or so Macs these past several years - including iBooks - and that's never happened to me.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-04, 15:54

from your title i figured it would have been on fire or something. sounds like you got a bad RAM chip. it happens. contact crucial and they'll send you out a replacement. just make sure you ordered the right kind/speed. if you're unsure, ask them about it. if you get RAM that's too slow for your computer, it will either read as a smaller chip or not at all.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-04, 16:01

1. Calm down.

2. Switch off your Mac. Remove the RAM that you installed, put the iBook back together and restart.

3. Fiddle around on your iBook for five minutes. If everything seems okay and the correct amount of RAM is showing in System Profiler (click "More Info" on the about box and see Hardware: Memory), switch off and prepare to reinstall the RAM, or before you do (unless you have another computer)...

4. ... search online, esp at Crucial for *exact* installation instructions. I can't find it, but I'm sure Crucial posts installation instructions somewhere on its site. Print these off.

5. Make sure you ground yourself properly before you touch the electro-static sensitive RAM modules (by touching bare metal that is in contact with the ground etc).

6. Follow the installation instructions to the letter, esp if it tells you to *click* something into place.

I am being a bit vague 'cos I don't know how to install RAM on an iBook, but when I installed RAM on my PowerBook, I made a couple of mistakes: Didn't read the F'ing manual, and didn't *click* the damn things into place properly. All's fine now though.

Good luck.

Edit: *sigh*, thanks guys, way to go post, like, a dozen replies in the meantime

bouncy bouncy
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-04, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
from your title i figured it would have been on fire or something.
Yeah, I did too. I know all the agonizing that went into it, so I thought he might've unpacked it to discover that the screen was missing, the iBook was snapped in two or something truly catastrophic.

This - faulty RAM - is nothing of the sort, and easily addressed. A hassle, yes. But you can "squeak by" on 256MB for a few days, I'm sure. We all have.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-04, 16:08

Just contact Crucial, make sure they know exactly what the problem is, and I'm sure they'll send you a new one that works just fine. It's not a big deal.

BTW, I took the liberty of editing the title of your post. For your own sake, Mr. X.
Mr. X

2005-01-04, 19:39

Okay, [deep breath]...I've calmed down. As someone mentioned, a lot of agonizing went into this purchase, so having something go wrong after all of that was the worst thing that could have happened. On top of the RAM problem, my airport card DID NOT recognize the LinkSys wireless connection in the place I'm staying at....but that's a whole other problem... Thanks everyone for your help, for calming me down, and for changing the title of this thread.

I called crucial and got an RA# for return, but before I send it back, I do want to make 100% sure it's the RAM and not me. (I've taken it in and out about four or five times, it makes me a little nervous removing that keyboard and the parts over and over like this..)

It was VERY difficult to get the RAM to click in to the left pin. The right pin: no problem, but in order for me to click it in to the left pin, I have to pull on the left pin and move it over the RAM chip. After doing this the first time, I got 768...every other time: 256. I followed the directions VERY carefully from my iBook instruction manual.

Do you think I'm just not getting it in there right? Could it have had something to do with putting the RAM in before I turned it on? I won't get home until midnight, so hopefully someone will have some more suggestions...

So far, it's frustration mixed with a big tease. The monitor and OSX look beautiful, and I'm so excited to start working with it...
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-04, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
Do you think I'm just not getting it in there right?
You're just not getting it in there right. But I predict you'll break something out of nervousness. So if you have a technically inclined friend, let them do it. It would agonize me to recommend taking it to a computer repair place just to have them add a RAM chip but if all else fails, and if there is no Apple Store nearby, I guess you should.

I'd bet cash that it isn't bad RAM.

Quote:
Could it have had something to do with putting the RAM in before I turned it on?
You scared me. It almost seemed like you were asking if RAM should be put in while the computer is running. Thank goodness I know that's not what you meant. No, the computer doesn't need to be "primed" by an initial startup.

The computer has been turned on before in it's life – at the factory. Besides, a computer boots up knowing and assuming nothing about the world and it's own capabilities - that's what the boot process is. Macs are no different than the PCs you see with all the startup test text whizzing by on screen, just the Mac usually hides all that for a more polished experience.

Take your time and do it slowly and pay attention to where things go and don't impatiently push or pull anything. But the RAM seat is tight if I recall correctly.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Mr. X

2005-01-04, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
You're just not getting it in there right. But I predict you'll break something out of nervousness. So if you have a technically inclined friend, let them do it. It would agonize me to recommend taking it to a computer repair place just to have them add a RAM chip but if all else fails, and if there is no Apple Store nearby, I guess you should.

I'd bet cash that it isn't bad RAM.

You scared me. It almost seemed like you were asking if RAM should be put in while the computer is running. Thank goodness I know that's not what you meant. No, the computer doesn't need to be "primed" by an initial startup.

The computer has been turned on before in it's life – at the factory. Besides, a computer boots up knowing and assuming nothing about the world and it's own capabilities - that's what the boot process is. Macs are no different than the PCs you see with all the startup test text whizzing by on screen, just the Mac usually hides all that for a more polished experience.

Take your time and do it slowly and pay attention to where things go and don't impatiently push or pull anything. But the RAM seat is tight if I recall correctly.
Yeah...I should have clarified that I meant installing before I turn it on *for the first time*....gald you knew what I meant, hehe

I have three Apple Stores in the area, but I'd worry about them installing non-Apple RAM.

I still don't see what I could be doing wrong. I've pushed it in very hard at the angle showin in the pictures, and, like I said, the right pin clicks down easily.....I'm trying to figure out why that left pin won't click. I took a screwdriver to hold it open and push it over the chip (I was careful not to touch or break anything), but I wonder if it still wasn't in place. Maybe the chip wasn't made correctly?

edit-->after googling, I found a message board with a guy posting the same problem with his RAM from crucial (but it was for a new iMac)....he said he couldn't get the innermost pin to click (just like me), and that it was reading less RAM than it was supposed to....he finally pushed REALLY REALLY hard, and it went in on the tricky side, and was finally good to go.....maybe I'm being too cautious and should REALLY push harder.....?

Last edited by Mr. X : 2005-01-04 at 21:05.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-04, 21:06

It's been a while since I installed an additional 512 MB in my G3 iceBook, but I certainly didn't have to force it in or anything. It was a bit tight, yes, but it got itself in there without any prying of parts.

I think you misaligned it somehow. If you're feeling up to it, try again, only make sure that it's going in exactly straight -- use the long edge to judge whether it's aligned correctly.

At worst, you might have damaged the connector. Not as badly, you might have damaged the RAM itself (or, as has been said, it may have been bad already). At best, it'll work fine once it's aligned correctly.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-04, 21:19

You don't happen to have a digital camera or know anyone else with a digital camera you can borrow, do you? It would be helpful if we could see some pictures.

Apple can install the RAM for you but it'll cost you $40. Apple RAM or non-Apple RAM doesn't matter, it's all the same. Not worth it - Crucial will surely allow you to send it back and get a new module. Wouldn't it suck if you paid Apple $40 to install it only to learn that you were indeed doing it properly and the RAM is simply not working right?

Anyway, take some pictures if you can. You can send them to me or anyone else who has web hosting available if you want to post them here. If you can't take any pictures... well, I guess remember these few things:

- The RAM will only go in one way. You may have to flip it over lengthwise. Though there is a little gap in the pins on the RAM that fits with a tab on the RAM slot, so I assume you're getting this right otherwise you would have physically broken your RAM.
- It's inserted at about a 30 degree angle and then pushed down flat to lock in place. It should just fit when it's in correctly.
- When it's in correctly, you shouldn't be able to see any of the little gold pins (contact points) showing anymore. They should go in just far enough to be covered completely by the slot.
- Obviously, it has to be seated properly and not at an angle, with both ends being pushed into the slot the same amount.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too simplistic here. I don't want to sound patronizing but I want to make sure you're installing it correctly and this is your first attempt after all. It all seems like second nature to me but I can't assume that everyone is as comfortable installing RAM as I am.
Mr. X

2005-01-04, 21:59

No, you're not being patronizing at all (although I knew most of what you said)....I have definitely been lining it up, but I still see some of the gold, so maybe it is just a case of me not getting it in correctly or far enough. Perhaps what I think is 30 degrees isn't quite 30 degrees and I need to set it just right and push it far enough...

I *have* installed RAM before...in my old iMac G3, three years ago. It was non-Apple and very easy to install. There should be no reason for me to pay to have it installed; I need to get this!

I'm positive I haven't done any damage to the iBook...I've been way too careful for that!

Could I do damage if I push too hard? I may be acting too cautious and not pushing hard enough....I will try again tonight.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-04, 22:09

Quote:
No, you're not being patronizing at all (although I knew most of what you said)....I have definitely been lining it up, but I still see some of the gold, so maybe it is just a case of me not getting it in correctly or far enough. Perhaps what I think is 30 degrees isn't quite 30 degrees and I need to set it just right and push it far enough...
Keep waiting for a definite click or a definite "ooh yeah that just slid into place (baby) kind of thing". I found with my PowerBook after many failed attempts that you can really tell when you have seated it properly. The 30 degree angle IS very important. If you don't know what you're doing (like I didn't) it can take several minutes to get it right).

bouncy bouncy
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-04, 22:12

I'm not sure what level of "hard" we're talking about, but just last fall I put RAM into an iBook G4 and there's a tad bit of pressure involved, making that connection. Nothing outrageous or over-the-top, but based on what I've read here and all...part of me thinks you're doing what I did the first time I put RAM into my iMac DV.

I was timid and wasn't inserting it in strongly enough.

As much as I want to say "BE A MAN...push that bastard in!", I also don't want any disasters on my conscience, so...

I don't know, X. I've never had this kind of trouble installing RAM.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-04, 22:37

Yeah, you probably just need to push that fucker quite a bit harder. RAM is pretty durable - obviously if you pick it up by either end and bend it, it's going to snap, but if you're putting pressure on the necessary axis you're not going to break it.

I remember a similar thing the first time I installed a socket processor in a motherboard. I just had to push the lever down (for locking the processor in place) a lot harder than I expected. I was afraid I'd cut all the pins clear off, but it worked fine once I got the hang of it.

I guess just try pushing harder...? The only problem is that I think if it's going from angled to flat easily, then it's already in all the way. But it's worth a shot. If you're sure you've done everything right then send it back to Crucial. The fact that you saw half of the capacity at first I think tells me that you're installing it right, it's just bad RAM.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-04, 22:54

I can't believe this thread has gone this far without some sexual jokes.

I'm impressed by your restraint, fellas.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-04, 22:58

We were waiting for you.
Mr. X

2005-01-04, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I guess just try pushing harder...? The only problem is that I think if it's going from angled to flat easily, then it's already in all the way. But it's worth a shot. If you're sure you've done everything right then send it back to Crucial. The fact that you saw half of the capacity at first I think tells me that you're installing it right, it's just bad RAM.
It was going from angled to flat easily, but only one side would snap in when I pushed it flat (like I said, I had to manually pull the other pin far enough out to fit it over the chip)...so that MAY mean it was never in correctly. I'll try one more time tonight....if no luck, I will return it....if I have no luck after that, I'm going to have to buy from Apple, and if I can't get that one in, I'll take it to the Apple Store. I just don't feel comfortable taking non-Apple RAM to their store, I'm worried that they'll say, "You damaged your iBook trying to install RAM, and because it's not Apple's RAM, you're screwed"....

Unless I'm able to install this RAM tonight, I will be totally convinced that I should have just paid extra to have everything preinstalled. From now on, it's all or nothing....
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-05, 00:02

Are you sure it's facing the right way? They are not symmetrical.

You have the gap lined up right? Seems like you have the built-in 256, then the longer side plugged in enough for another 512 to be active but the other 2 aren't in contact.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Mr. X

2005-01-05, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
Are you sure it's facing the right way? They are not symmetrical.

You have the gap lined up right? Seems like you have the built-in 256, then the longer side plugged in enough for another 512 to be active but the other 2 aren't in contact.
That makes sense....since the smaller slot is the side that wouldn't snap when I pushed it flat (it initially showed 768, which would mean 512 was recognized.......)...I'll be home in about 40 minutes; anxious to give this another shot.....
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-05, 00:29

let us know how it goes. i'm interested to hear how this works out.
Mr. X

2005-01-05, 01:53

still bad news...this time both sides snapped in place, and "about my Mac" still said I only had the preinstalled 256 MB.

I still don't understand why it at one time it said 768 MB....could something be damaged in my iBook? Or can bad RAM do things like that?

Man I'm I ever kicking myself for not having 1.25 MB preinstalled by Apple.....NEVER again will I do this. I don't think I'll be saving ANY money in the long run.
Mr. X

2005-01-05, 02:00

BTW....does it make much of a difference between 768 MB and 1.25 MB of RAM in the iBook? If 768 will make it run well, then I'll probably just buy a damn stick of 512 from the Apple Store.....
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-05, 02:39

If you take to the Apple store they'll certainly do it all for free if you feign ignorance. You are covered and adding RAM certainly doesn't void the AppleCare. If the RAM is bad then you can take it from there.

I'd say there is no such thing as too much RAM as long as the machine can handle it. (And even then you can usually use more RAM than is indicated but you're on your own at that point, as far as the manufacturer is concerned).

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-05, 03:25

There shouldn't be much difference between 768 MB and 1.25 GB, no. But you have to remember that Apple doesn't make RAM. They just get it from RAM companies... like Crucial. So if you buy from Apple you'll have the same chance of it not working, except you'll pay more. Don't fall into the "if you pay more then it must be better" trap. I know it's hard to convince you of that given your current situation, but please believe me when I say that it would have been almost as likely for Apple RAM to not work as it would be for your Crucial to not work. Since you already paid for it, I'd really suggest you just return the RAM to Crucial and get a replacement. Your chances of getting two defective modules are extremely low, especially if they know you've been having problems, so if it still doesn't work then we KNOW you're doing something wrong with the installation.
Mr. X

2005-01-05, 17:59

Well, that's it..

The Apple Store put a 1G chip aside for me. I'm picking it up tonight. I explained my situation (bought online through student discount, unaware of not being able to get RAM discounts unless preinstalled), so they're going to let me have the discount on it: $540. Yeah, I know, almost $200 more...but I just feel more comfortable, knowing that if anything goes wrong, it's THEIR RAM, and they'll be more willing to work with me.

As for Crucial.com, I will never deal with them again. They refused to send a new chip out to me until they received the defective one I'm returning. I think that's lousy customer service. You send out defective RAM and make the person wait? I don't think so. I told them to just forget it, I'm sending it back for a full refund.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-05, 18:08

Well, if paying over $500 for a RAM upgrade makes you happy...
PowerMacMan

2005-01-05, 18:12

Quote:
You're not exactly the brightest star in the sky, are you?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-05, 18:13

You have more money than brains.

But I mean that in a friendly, non-offensive way.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 18:20

Quote:
As for Crucial.com, I will never deal with them again. They refused to send a new chip out to me until they received the defective one I'm returning. I think that's lousy customer service. You send out defective RAM and make the person wait? I don't think so. I told them to just forget it, I'm sending it back for a full refund.
Am I wrong, or is that standard practice for some vendors/products?