Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Failing pBook RAM slot

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Failing pBook RAM slot
caesarm

2005-04-19, 05:40

Hi there,

I'm currently using a 15in 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4, running OS X 10.3.8. Recently, I have been noticing that my computer was running kinda slowly, so I repaired my permissions about two weeks ago, and noticed a marginal difference. A friend of mine just bought a 12in PBook yesterday, so I went into my system profiler so that we could compare specs.

It was then that I noticed that my PBook was only recognizing one of my 512MB DDR SDRAM chips (PC2700U-25330, and both are from Crucial), in the upper slot. I proceeded to shut down, and made sure the bottom slot's RAM was seated (when I first installed this ram, getting the bottom chip seated correctly took a few tries, and was fine from then on). Upon rebooting, I got it to recognize the full 1 GB of RAM, but then OS X froze completely, and I had to shut down. Since then I have switched the position of both chips numerous times, and if I boot up with RAM only in the lower position, it boots just fine - it only doesn't want to read the lower slot when something is in the upper. I got it to boot once more with the full 1 GB about 20 min ago, which led to another total system freeze about a minute after booting while I was using TextEdit, so I'm going to stop moving the chips around for the time being, as the computer still boots and runs, and I don't want that to change. I'm going to run a hardware diagnostic with my friend's CDs later tonight (keep on reading)

Here's my major dilemma - I'm in Sapporo, Japan for the next 4 months, and sadly I totally neglected to bring my OS X CDs. I have AppleCare (bought in 5/2004, along with the computer), so I'm not worried about Apple not taking my computer in for repair, but what I am worried about is them blaming it on Crucial's RAM. Since I'm not at home in the US, I also don't have the 256 MB "Apple" branded RAM that came with my laptop. If there's anything I can try to do before sending my computer out for repair, I'd like to do it. However, if I do end up having to send it in, what should I do about the two 3rd party RAM chips? Is Apple going to just take them (and if they do, do they really have the right to do so?)? I'm a student, so I can only deal without my own computer for a short period of time.

I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone can give me on this matter.

Thank you,

--
Matt