Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Unable to login via FTP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Unable to login via FTP
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 09:22

I just needed the FTP server the first time, a friend should move some files over, but for some reason I am unable to login even though I get to the login prompt.

The network is working. Apache is working. I have a static IP, no routing or NAT. I even took the firewall off just to be sure. I tried the "real" username, and even the OS X "full" username. I tried with my own username, and a user I created specifically for FTP use. I tried to login with FreeBSD's FTP client, and with Windows Internet Explorer, obviously from two different boxes, both of which have static IP's and have functional networking. I have made no special configuration, tinkered with Netinfo or any configuration files.

Oh yeah. It just says "530 Login Incorrect / ftp: login failed". I also tried only inputting the first eight characters of the password, since I faintly recall that some systems only care about the first eight. No change.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 09:43

Other people's FTP serving seems to be broken as well.

http://www.latext.com/pm/comments/A1101_0_1_0_C/

I think I'll manage with SFTP, but if anyone knows anything about this problem, I'd be glad to hear about it. Even if it's just that you *are* able to run FTP server in 10.3.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-19, 09:49

FTP works just fine for me on my fully up-to-date iBook. I long since replaced the FTP server on my Powermac, so I can't comment on that machine.

Have you tried telnetting in to the FTP server to do some more fine-grained debugging, or reading the logs? Telnetting in will drop you to a command line with the FTP server; you'll want to try to log in with the commands "user [username]" and "pass [password]".

Last edited by staph : 2004-09-19 at 09:59.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 10:34

I tried telnetting to port 20 (no answer), to port 21 (same "530" result as with the FTP client after I input the user and password).

I did a 'man ftpd', it told me ftp access logs go to /var/log/wtmp, but that is a binary file and I have trouble making sense of it. 'man wtmp' tells me the format of the logfile, but doesn't point to a program that would produce the full text output. 'strings /var/log/wtmp' doesn't show the FTP login attempts, only the local logins.

Needless to say, I'm pretty new to this admin-type stuff. I have only used Unix for programming.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-09-19, 11:25

The command you are looking for is 'last'. It tells you the last login's, ftp and shell.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-19, 11:29

To find your FTP log/s:

Open Console.app (in /Applications/Utilities), click the "Logs" button in the button-bar thingy up the top, hit the disclose triangle next to /var/log, and you'll find it about 5th down.

xinetd throws its errors to system.log (also in Console.app), so it might be worth keeping an eye on that), and also on the ftpd crash log (under /Library/Logs, CrashReporter)

It sounds like something is going weirdly wrong with authentication, and frankly, I'm not sure what would be causing it.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 11:38

I followed your instructions, looked at the ftp logs and system logins. The system logins don't show the ftp login attempts, and the ftp logs just show "connection from (host)" and then "FTP LOGIN FAILED FROM (host)".
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 11:41

system.log says:

Sep 19 18:17:37 (hostname) xinetd[350]: service ftp, IPV6_ADDRFORM setsockopt() failed: Protocol not available (errno = 42)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 11:47

Simple answer: Sucks to be you because FTP in the finder sucks donkey balls. Actually, the whole finder sucks donkey balls.

Complicated answer: Sucks to be you, and what they said.

Come waste your time with me
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Simple answer: Sucks to be you because FTP in the finder sucks donkey balls. Actually, the whole finder sucks donkey balls.
Agreed about the Finder's quality, but as far as I know, the Finder is just a client and doesn't have anything to do with the FTP *server*.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 12:40

You may be right, I'm not really sure. I just got mad at the finder this morning when I was actually trying to get some work done...however, it didn't really think I wanted to, so it went about it's business while I held a gun to its head in a cold sweat

Point is...sorry I got mad and it got taken out on you

But it still sucks to be you

Come waste your time with me