User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Why does language change in Safari RSS?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does language change in Safari RSS?
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-11-20, 06:19

Hello,

Something strange is happening on a friends Mac Pro, she has got Safari open and when looking at any RSS feed it comes up in Urdu (or something that is similar). All Language options in Sys Prefs are set only to UK, but in Safari is changes itself. Web pages appear as normal but it just appears like this in Safari (firefox is OK)

Any ideas would be great. She is on 10.4.8 - all up to date...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-20, 06:27

Looks like a corrupted font cache, or a deleted font.

Try http://daringfireball.net/2005/03/font_caches
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-11-20, 06:39

Thanks for the quick reply - we dont have any of those files in the cache, she does not use FontBook, only uses Extensis Suitcase Fusion...

I have tried to delete all those cache files but not all of them will...

I wondered about creating a new user to test it but not able to at the moment...

Any more ideas?

I right clicked on Safari, Get Info and only got UK in the languages of the icon (you know what I mean?) still no joy...

PS: this is for ALL feeds including AN!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-20, 06:43

It has nothing to do with languages, nor with any particular feed. I'm fairly certain this is a font problem.

Can you temporarily disable Suitcase?
steve77uk

2006-11-20, 07:20

Thanks Chucker,

I think it is something to do with Extensis Suitcase as when disabling it, the RSS feeds did work, then when we loaded it, it screwed up, we're gonna try and contact their support...

Thanks for your help!!
steve77uk

2006-11-20, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-young View Post
heh, figuring it out was a pain in the ass. in hindsight, i'm glad i took the time to do it cuz i love safari RSS.

do this:
� launch the apple font book app (normally found in applications/utilities)
� find the font "Helvetica" > highlight it
� disable the "Helvetica" fraction fonts (by option-clicking)
� begin enjoying RSS in safari
Did this and seems to work, however it uses a similar Helv. font but will do for now!

Maybe this font is corrupt then?

This is the other thread here
steve77uk

2006-11-20, 07:32

Have just reactivated the font in the font book and now it is working as it should - seems to have rectified itself but re-enabling it!

Thanks for your help!
chucker

2006-11-20, 07:35

Glad it worked out.