User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

State of the Union

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
State of the Union
ZogDog

2005-02-02, 22:31

So it's over and the rebuttal is underway, what were your thoughts? I thought it was about time for Social Security to come up and begin it's revamp, but booing? Come now, don't they care for our future? Being 25, I certainly am caring for theirs...

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-02, 22:36

The booing was in reference to the fact that the President's statement that SS will be "bankrupt in 2018" is simply not true.

It's not that Democrats think SS does not need reforming, but that they find the reasons being given for an imminent crisis to be nothing but FUD, as well as believing that private accounts will make the problem worse, not better.

It's really Iraq all over again - misstate the reasons that we need to take action, and then take action that makes the situation worse, instead of better.

Oh yeah, and...
I B L
I give this thread a half-life of no more than an hour.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-02, 22:37

Um. Well. You should go to forums.appleinsider.com AO/PO to discuss this...

As far as SS is concerned, it would behoove you to look into paul krugman's recent editorials he has written for the NYTimes.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-02, 22:42

I think we should take Logans Run example and shoot everyone over 30!

Then we could all hang on to all our SS money! :smokey:
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 22:49

I love our wonderful bubble and am hoping our anti-politics shield is quickly activated. All I'll say about the rebuttals is that it sounded like "Wah, Wah, Wah". First thing Mr. Dean needs to do is to teach the current leadership of his party not to whine. PLEASE activate the shields before we go all AO in here!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 23:02

Heh... just an FYI for those that hate politics.

C-SPAN is the absolute BEST network to watch these "big" events. No spin, no commercials, and they let viewers call in and make fools of themselves. Quite humorous. They also have "blog"ers on for some intelligent commentary. Much better then the "talking heads" on the 24/7 news networks.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-02, 23:03

Oh yeah, I LOVE hearing their callers when I listen in on XM or via the 'net.... sad, but funny...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 23:21

yeah, it is a tough balance... I can get pretty worked up over the ignorance at times... and then I remember C-SPAN's ratings.

It's just good therapy for them. They think they are actually convincing people-kinda like PO!

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 23:21

IBL!!! I must say, Bush has gotten remarkably better at his State of the Union addresses. He didn't make an ass of himself the way he usually does. Very confident. Though from what the american media was saying, the Republicans will need to swing quite a few Dems if they want the social security thing to go anywhere.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 23:22

Don't listen to the media. Bush (unfortunately) has more then enough support from the Repubs to get what he wants done. Besides, the Democrats are spineless anyway.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-02, 23:38

I do this out of love for the community. Really. It hurts me more than it hurts you.

edit: ok, i was drunk when i closed the thread. a member asked that it be reopened, so i will. knock yourselves out.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Xeno

2005-02-05, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I do this out of love for the community. Really. It hurts me more than it hurts you.

edit: ok, i was drunk when i closed the thread. a member asked that it be reopened, so i will. knock yourselves out.
The best way to loose a friend is to talk about politics.

Seriously though, some of Bush's comments were seemingly contradictory. He declared that, "the United States has no right, no desire, and no intention to impose our form of government on anyone else."

Yet...he stated earlier that, "marriage is a sacred institution and the foundation of society, it should not be re-defined by activist judges. For the good of families, children, and society, I support a constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage."

And perhaps in his closing statement was a very ominous comment, "the road of Providence is uneven and unpredictable -- yet we know where it leads: It leads to freedom."

It is very difficult to convince groups that believe you hate their religion when you put your religion into major speeches, isn't it?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-02-08, 21:17

You know, I was listening to a breakdown on the personal savings accounts (PSAs). One thing I didn't know is, when you retire, the PSA is turned over to the federal government who then doles you out a percentage of that account. If you make good investment decisions, it's the government that makes out, not you.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-08, 21:47

Its all crap.